Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

81 cluster swap
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
costman13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: 81 cluster swap Reply with quote

A tach would be nice. Just want a little reassurance as to which cluster to get. This article states that a 84 wolfsburg or an 85 cluster would be ideal.

I have an 81 Vanagon L with clock and trip odometer.

http://www.oldvolkshome.com/late_van_cluster_install.pdf

anything I am missing here?

Thank you
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd look for an '85 cluster
you should be OK with that

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Externally the tachs look the same between the 84/85 and the 86 on. There is an internal difference though. Not sure what it is though. I have an 82 running a TDI, but I found that the earlier tach mentioned would work with the signal from my TDI ECU. I had tried a tach from an 86 without success even with a dakota digital convertor. Dakota Digital warned me it would not work, but I bought it anyway.

The difference may be in the signal from the ignition system between early WC vanagons and later ones. You may want to see if you could find an earlier one, or search out some more tach info. There is a way to get the later one to work, but I recall it needs to be modified with a capacitor or something, not my area of expertise. mark
costman13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. The oldvolkshome artical explains that an 85 would work, or should work. I think I'll start there.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 85 tach cluster and the 84 Wolfsburg tach cluster will both work. The 84 Wolfsburg cluster is far more rare. Both will require the same modifications to your 14 pin connector.

Mark

costman13 wrote:
Thanks for the info. The oldvolkshome artical explains that an 85 would work, or should work. I think I'll start there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: