Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'51 Standard Chassis Restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

52 split wrote:
what was the factory way or tool used to install the weld nuts. they did not drill four holes for the bumps and then weld them. some type of press and weld method?at that stage with my car thanks.

As you can see in the pic above, they were spotwelded on the flange, one on each side.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

52 split wrote:
what was the factory way or tool used to install the weld nuts. they did not drill four holes for the bumps and then weld them. some type of press and weld method?at that stage with my car thanks.

There would be a spot welder with a head that would hold the weld nut with either two or four tips depending on the type of weld nut. If you are doing them yourself they you would want to drill the holes, weld from the back side with a MIG or TIG and then grind smooth. If you have a regular spot welder you could do the two or four spot welds one at a time.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welded on the right side floorpan tonight. First I masked off the tunnel and sprayed the facing surfaces with weld through primer. I had "modified" a set of long reach clamps to make them "longer reach" and used them to press the pan edge tight along the tunnel lip. The tip on the topside has a forked end so it can go around the weld. It was real easy to line everything up and rest the MIG nozzle on the tunnel and get a perfect alignment with the hole for the rosette weld.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice work...like the clamp!
greenoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, is the outrigger welded to the support at the torsion tube or does it just rest on it ?
Jerry Hundley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the clamps. great idea

Because Stock Sucks!!!!
70 baywindow deluxe
65 slammed bug
69 bug
64 drag buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenoval wrote:
John, is the outrigger welded to the support at the torsion tube or does it just rest on it ?

You know I don't remember, but let me go back and look at my "before" pics, I took a lot of them. I think there was a very light tack weld there, not much of anything.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The clamp worked OK, but at that arm length, didn't really give the needed clamping force. As many probably know, it was critically important for the panels to be pressed together for these types of welds. Otherwise, not only do you get a gap, but on these "thin metal on thick" rosette welds, you will burn away the sheet metal very fast as you have to have a pretty hot setting. Of course I only took pictures of the "pretty" welds.

The other thing worth mentioning is the weld through primer. I have had issues with the MIG arc not "taking" to the lower panel when it has the primer on it. Somewhere some said that you had to grind off the facing panel/lips primer right under the hole. I tried that with a Dremel and didn't have much luck, so I just started welding. Once I got the MIG set up right I go pretty good welds. I ran it pretty hot, about 6.5/10 on my Miller and fairly slow wire speed for that heat. Best case, you get those nice little flat "pool" welds that need very little grinding.

This is one of the reasons I wanted to do the chassis first: to further hone my welding skills before going on to the bod which will need LOTS of welding. With any kind of welding, the more you do, the better you get at it.

I will use a seamsealer on both the top and bottom at the pan/tunnel interface. I'll "pinky finger" it in real close so it won't look like a bathroom caulking job. I may first give the welded areas a light sandblast to get the texture consistent everywhere, before primer. The black paint on the tunnel now is just a black primer.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
ZwitterND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried using panel adhesive for the tunnel section of the pan?
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Update or anything going on in that shop of yours?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of stuff going on in the shop, but not all of it VW, and even less (unfortunately) in the way of work on the '51. I did start grinding down the floorpan welds the other night. A fairly tedious process with how many of them that there are.

I'll post more pics as progress continues....

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
eurodub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's revive this wonderful thread just to let you know John that at least i am thinking about your split and your work Very Happy

This is where it all started...

Hope everything is well with you and during this autumn/winter break you can finish that pan early enough for some spring break photo shoot Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tempie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any progress?

Visit the Standard Split and Oval Beetle group!!

VW Standard Split and Oval Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: '51 Standard Chassis Restoration Reply with quote

For the sake of closure of a thread, I sold this '51 project a couple weeks ago. It went to a good friend and hardcore vintage enthusiast who WILL finish the car and WILL drive it. I could not have picked a better person to have it.

I sold it because I figured that I would probably never finish it myself AND I surrendered to a whim and bought another driveable vintage VW last month....

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: '51 Standard Chassis Restoration Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
For the sake of closure of a thread, I sold this '51 project a couple weeks ago. It went to a good friend and hardcore vintage enthusiast who WILL finish the car and WILL drive it. I could not have picked a better person to have it.

I sold it because I figured that I would probably never finish it myself AND I surrendered to a whim and bought another driveable vintage VW last month....

Same reason I passed mine on and I’ve had loads of good times since with half a dozen old drivers. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: '51 Standard Chassis Restoration Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:

I did a similar deal. I traded a bus I had no desire to finish for a nice bus I could drive and enjoy with my family right now. Best decision I've made in a while.

Good for you!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drpete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: '51 Standard Chassis Restoration Reply with quote

Time to re-energize this thread. John mentioned he had sold this car. I’m the lucky buyer that will resume the restoration. John and I share (among other things) a passion for VW’s and the friendships and experiences these cars help create. We first met many years ago during a Solvang (California) Rallye and show. We’ve since had fun at the SoCal Treffen, and other Solvang shows as well as a couple shows in Europe.
This is my first split window bug; previously I had a 54 oval ragtop, along with some buses (including a ’54 Barndoor with an operating 2-level vintage toy-train layout). I’m really excited about this ’51 Standard.
The car’s metal work and paint will be done by a trusted fellow here in Northern California. I’ll try to document some of his steps as we go along. After his body and paint work is complete, I’ll do the assembly at home. All stock...we want her to look and drive just as she did in 1951. The car goes to his shop next week, after resting 2 months in my workshop/barn at home.
It'll be nice to get this early bug back on the road. She's the perfect car for a future September Solvang Rallye...

Pete Keesling
Driving a VW every day.....
Grant Reiling Premium Member
Samba Slow-Change Artist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: '51 Standard Chassis Restoration Reply with quote

drpete wrote:
Time to re-energize this thread. John mentioned he had sold this car. I’m the lucky buyer that will resume the restoration. John and I share (among other things) a passion for VW’s and the friendships and experiences these cars help create. We first met many years ago during a Solvang (California) Rallye and show. We’ve since had fun at the SoCal Treffen, and other Solvang shows as well as a couple shows in Europe.
This is my first split window bug; previously I had a 54 oval ragtop, along with some buses (including a ’54 Barndoor with an operating 2-level vintage toy-train layout). I’m really excited about this ’51 Standard.
The car’s metal work and paint will be done by a trusted fellow here in Northern California. I’ll try to document some of his steps as we go along. After his body and paint work is complete, I’ll do the assembly at home. All stock...we want her to look and drive just as she did in 1951. The car goes to his shop next week, after resting 2 months in my workshop/barn at home.
It'll be nice to get this early bug back on the road. She's the perfect car for a future September Solvang Rallye...

Very exciting Pete, it will be interesting to see and track the progress.(And park our split sunroofs next to each other) Exclamation Cool
Congratulations! What a great project for 2019!
Grant
What we imagine in our minds becomes our world. That’s just one of many things I have learned from water."
Misaru Emoto
The Hidden Messages in Water
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: '51 Standard Chassis Restoration Reply with quote

While I had a number of people interested in this car, I could not be happier that "Doctor" Pete now has it. Why? Because I KNOW he will finish it and I KNOW that he will DRIVE it, as it should be. And Pete is now my go-to Type 2 guru as he and I now both own '56 single cabs.

Looking forward to seeing this split done and Pete, thanks for keeping this thread going. Build threads are the best...!

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: '51 Standard Chassis Restoration Reply with quote

Where's the like button?
Congratulations to Pete and John.
I look forward to watching the progress on this and seeing it at the California shows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: