Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Driver side upper engine mounting bolt
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Driver side upper engine mounting bolt Reply with quote

Question: does your engine case actually have the captive nut there? This is a press-in nut. Note that you may need to remove the two "tins" on the hidden side of the doghouse fan shroud to see this, take your 10mm wrench with you (one small bolt and one small nut).
Engine Case Nut Insert Captive Nut press-in nut
https://wolfgangint.com/case-components/2883-engine-case-nut-insert-111199102.html
Part #111 199 102
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If so, the driver side/upper left engine bolt is 10mm x 1.5mm x 70mm Ace has an allen head bolt this size, takes 8mm allen socket, which is what I use.

The passenger side/starter bolt is 10mm x 1.5mm x 110mm and typically has a D-shaped head.

If there is no captive nut there, you can always use a regular 10mm x 1.5mm nut and 17mm wrench to install that while those tins are removed.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
scubasteve321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver side upper engine mounting bolt Reply with quote

Bay Guy here checking in on this thread due to the topic covered as well as detail

I am missing the driver side upper engine mounting bolt on my 71 Bay, dual port

I read that a 70 mm should work BUT it definitely isn't reaching the captive nut, while a vanagon bolt reaches but is too long to bite down

Going to my (fourth) hardware store tomorrow looking for the 110 mm length

Typing this out I think I figured out part of the issue; is the 70mm is for the non upright dog house engine configurations, whereas the 110mm is for BOTH the starter and the upright dog house engine configurations....

or am I missing something more than just the bolt?
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Driver side upper engine mounting bolt Reply with quote

Lots of discussion on this bolt. I tried J-B welding a nut to the case, but it didn't seem to hold. Maybe I didn't glob enough over the nut. So now I just leave off the ductwork on the oil cooler dog house until after I get the bolt through, and a nut on it and tight. There is access (in a bug) to reach around with a wrench and tighten. when motor is secure, I finish up installing all the remaining ductwork. I looked into one of those inserts and what I would have to do to the case to press it in, and abandoned the idea in favor of installing the motor and moving on with business. Can the car drive with only three bolts? Sure.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hvactaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver side upper engine mounting bolt Reply with quote

Thank you for the response, Cusser. The noise and vibration were so bad that I thought the engine was going to jump out the back of the car. I never did let the clutch out all the way in reverse. Going forward was smooth as butter. CV joints look good. Brakes OK.. No other major problems except the shocks need to be replaced.

I really can't complain. I got a running 73 Super Beetle in very nice shape for a couple hundred bucks. It was "restored" in Italy in the late 90s and the replacement engine was put in in San Fransisco in about 2005. Now it's being made right in Kansas. What a journey.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver side upper engine mounting bolt Reply with quote

hvactaylor wrote:
Got to the top and BOTH bolts were missing.

Wow, never heard of that before. Most likely a "butcher", someone intentionally left these out. And the one on the upper right is also one of the two starter mounts.

hvactaylor wrote:
Could the lack of support at the top of the engine cause this shuddering, thumping noise only in reverse? I'm probably not that lucky so I'm going to get the transmission out and send it to the shop.

I'm thinking that the lack of support at the top could be related to your problem. So if my VW, I'd reinstall the engine to see.

I'd be afraid that to determine if transmission issue would automatically be a rebuild.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
hvactaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver side upper engine mounting bolt Reply with quote

I recently dropped my engine (first time in my newly acquired 73 Super) to assess the clutch. Got under it and took off the two lower nuts. Got to the top and BOTH bolts were missing. Long story short, the clutch was fine. I was getting a really loud thumping noise only in reverse when clutch was released more than about 15%. I've seen two posts describing the same symptoms to a tee and both posters said the clutch was shattered. I'm hoping it was the lack of top engine mount bolts and not a transmission problem, as I haven't looked that deep yet. Anyone seen anything like this before? Could the lack of support at the top of the engine cause this shuddering, thumping noise only in reverse? I'm probably not that lucky so I'm going to get the transmission out and send it to the shop.

Anybody recognize this problem? Serious replies only please. Thank you.

BTW, I was told by the PO that he had the motor put in 40,000 miles ago and did little to no maintenance. It then spent nine years in a garage. Of course, it ran perfectly when he parked it nine years ago. I'm convinced the bolts were never there for those 40,000 miles.

Last edited by hvactaylor on Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raymond73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver side upper engine mounting bolt Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:

Id not assume the 4 engine attachment point share equal loads. gravity and the cantilevered motor will cause different stress on the upper verses lower connections.
Bug On!

That's an excellent point!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Driver side upper engine mounting bolt Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:

Id not assume the 4 engine attachment point share equal loads. gravity and the cantilevered motor will cause different stress on the upper verses lower connections.

Bug On!

I agree, the upper bolts support most of the load. Does anyone have a pic of the damage caused by a missing upper bolt?
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Driver side upper engine mounting bolt Reply with quote

Raymond73 wrote:
An update to my thought experiment.

One thing I didn't consider in the press-in insert/pin is how soft the case material actually is. I'm in the process of installing the doghouse oil cooler after much delay (translation:laziness). Since the studs for my offset cooler are slightly larger than the non-offset type, drilling was required. Completely do-able, which gives me more to ponder.

Sure what follows is not the scientific method, but I'm cool with that considering my limited resources. The pin, even with a close fit, is still much harder than the surrounding material. Without sufficient clamping force it's free to move and there's a definite possibility of enlarging the hole /cracking the flange after enough time. How much time it would take, I'm not sure. It might take days to decades depending on factors such as engine tune, driving style, etc.

Thinking back to my original..., well, thought, is a quick release pin and three bolts likely to cause more damage than just running with three bolts or are they equally bad, but just in different ways? Even with the softness of the material I still end up trying to think in percentages of effectiveness. If each of the four bolts provide equal clamping force and torsional resistance each bolt position is required to contribute a minimum of 25% of the load to max out at shared 100%. Dividing that requirement for 25% in half for each bolt hole position (12.5% each for clamping and torsional) that would mean that 3 bolts is 75% effective compared to 4 unmolested bolts (100%), and 3 bolts+example quick-release pin is 87.5% (i.e quick release pin lacks the clamping %).

Another thought is how much drilling and pressing damage the surrounding flange? Probably very little if done correctly. Still, to be fair, maybe half a percentage can be deducted compared to the original 100%. So, as a guesstimate for 4 bolts w/one press-in insert might be 99.5%.

To summarize assuming proper torque, no bolt/nut metal fatigue, crossed threads, etc:

75% for three bolts
87.5% for three bolts and example quick-release pin
99.5% for four bolts using press-in nut
100% for the original four bolts

If my crude thought experiment can be taken with a grain of salt, there are two distinct winners of the four options. Additionally, factoring in the theoretical damage the quick-release pin might cause, I'm comfortable in thinking that it would degrade in effectiveness over time. Eventually it would reduce from 87.5% down to 75% to equal only having three bolts.

One clear unknown to me is at what percentage (under 100%) does it fail to provide sufficient clamping force /torsional resistance to keep the engine and transmission happy? If it's 90% then it's clearly a bad idea to choose the first two options. If it's 80% then the third option is adequate, but probably not sustainable over time. If it's 70% then all options are viable.

However, considering that equal distribution is better than not, maybe the first option really isn't 75% effective after all. It's possibly less so I'm surmising that 75-80% is the minimum adequate clamping/torsional effectiveness required to stay operating. My rudimentary thinking is that the engineers chose 4 bolt equal distribution rather than 3, 5, or 6 for a reason. Losing a single bolt in the 3-configuration would result in 66% effectiveness, in the current 4-configuration 75%, in the 5-configuration it's 80%, and in the 6 configuration it's 83%. Overcompensating as the numbers increase. My 75-80% is based purely on economy as the 3-bolt option would likely be woefully inadequate during a failure. the 5 and more bolt options provide way more security, (most likely unnecessary considering the humble nature of the Beetle) but requiring more engineering and parts.

All that aside I realize that, yes there are four bolts and they are clearly better. If there were three bolts and a stud/hole then maybe the quick release pin given as an example would have more merit. For a theoretical example, drilling a broken stud and inserting a pin in its place.

Disclaimer: If you read this far, but missed my initial post in this thread, I'm neither championing the idea of running three bolts alone or relying on the pin. However, I still think that if the need arose, the quick release pin still seems to be adequate as a temporary measure to get you home.

If I missed something in my reasoning please don't hesitate to contribute.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Driver side upper engine mounting bolt Reply with quote

Advice I saved from somewhere:
"This captive nut came on all dual relief cases. This is because with a doghouse cooler it is near impossible to get a nut off or on once the engine is in unless you add the small shroud tins afterwards. If you're putting a dual relief case on a transmission that took a single relief case, make sure you grind off the locking boss for the bolt on the clutch arm side before you put the motor in. Be careful not to crack the case when installing. Rig up a pipe that has a notch to match the notch on the flywheel side of the case. Draw the nut into the case with a bolt."
Raymond73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Driver side upper engine mounting bolt Reply with quote

Many thanks for the link, Cusser.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver side upper engine mounting bolt Reply with quote

Raymond73 wrote:
I'm more inclined at this point to install the press-in insert than before. If I get my hands on one, it's going in.

Engine Case Nut Insert Captive Nut
https://www.wolfgangint.com/store/product/engine-case-nut-insert-111199102/
Part #111 199 102
Raymond73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver side upper engine mounting bolt Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
If I understand your post, you're reluctant to use a long bolt and the press-in threaded insert for the left upper mount.

Guess what?? You can use a regular bolt and nut there, and then just install the two small doghouse tins after that. I've done that on someone else's engine, not tough.

Hi, Cusser! No, not reluctant. Well, early on I was concerned about cracking the flange. I'm more inclined at this point to install the press-in insert than before. If I get my hands on one, it's going in.
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver side upper engine mounting bolt Reply with quote

I'm installing an access panel for the left engine bolt access, adjusting the clutch cable and starter changes. Others on the Samba have made the same improvement.

See more pics and ideas for the project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Pics of factory access panel.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver side upper engine mounting bolt Reply with quote

If I understand your post, you're reluctant to use a long bolt and the press-in threaded insert for the left upper mount.

Guess what?? You can use a regular bolt and nut there, and then just install the two small doghouse tins after that. I've done that on someone else's engine, not tough.
Raymond73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver side upper engine mounting bolt Reply with quote

An update to my thought experiment.

One thing I didn't consider in the press-in insert/pin is how soft the case material actually is. I'm in the process of installing the doghouse oil cooler after much delay (translation:laziness). Since the studs for my offset cooler are slightly larger than the non-offset type, drilling was required. Completely do-able, which gives me more to ponder.

Sure what follows is not the scientific method, but I'm cool with that considering my limited resources. The pin, even with a close fit, is still much harder than the surrounding material. Without sufficient clamping force it's free to move and there's a definite possibility of enlarging the hole /cracking the flange after enough time. How much time it would take, I'm not sure. It might take days to decades depending on factors such as engine tune, driving style, etc.

Thinking back to my original..., well, thought, is a quick release pin and three bolts likely to cause more damage than just running with three bolts or are they equally bad, but just in different ways? Even with the softness of the material I still end up trying to think in percentages of effectiveness. If each of the four bolts provide equal clamping force and torsional resistance each bolt position is required to contribute a minimum of 25% of the load to max out at shared 100%. Dividing that requirement for 25% in half for each bolt hole position (12.5% each for clamping and torsional) that would mean that 3 bolts is 75% effective compared to 4 unmolested bolts (100%), and 3 bolts+example quick-release pin is 87.5% (i.e quick release pin lacks the clamping %).

Another thought is how much drilling and pressing damage the surrounding flange? Probably very little if done correctly. Still, to be fair, maybe half a percentage can be deducted compared to the original 100%. So, as a guesstimate for 4 bolts w/one press-in insert might be 99.5%.

To summarize assuming proper torque, no bolt/nut metal fatigue, crossed threads, etc:

75% for three bolts
87.5% for three bolts and example quick-release pin
99.5% for four bolts using press-in nut
100% for the original four bolts

If my crude thought experiment can be taken with a grain of salt, there are two distinct winners of the four options. Additionally, factoring in the theoretical damage the quick-release pin might cause, I'm comfortable in thinking that it would degrade in effectiveness over time. Eventually it would reduce from 87.5% down to 75% to equal only having three bolts.

One clear unknown to me is at what percentage (under 100%) does it fail to provide sufficient clamping force /torsional resistance to keep the engine and transmission happy? If it's 90% then it's clearly a bad idea to choose the first two options. If it's 80% then the third option is adequate, but probably not sustainable over time. If it's 70% then all options are viable.

However, considering that equal distribution is better than not, maybe the first option really isn't 75% effective after all. It's possibly less so I'm surmising that 75-80% is the minimum adequate clamping/torsional effectiveness required to stay operating. My rudimentary thinking is that the engineers chose 4 bolt equal distribution rather than 3, 5, or 6 for a reason. Losing a single bolt in the 3-configuration would result in 66% effectiveness, in the current 4-configuration 75%, in the 5-configuration it's 80%, and in the 6 configuration it's 83%. Overcompensating as the numbers increase. My 75-80% is based purely on economy as the 3-bolt option would likely be woefully inadequate during a failure. the 5 and more bolt options provide way more security, (most likely unnecessary considering the humble nature of the Beetle) but requiring more engineering and parts.

All that aside I realize that, yes there are four bolts and they are clearly better. If there were three bolts and a stud/hole then maybe the quick release pin given as an example would have more merit. For a theoretical example, drilling a broken stud and inserting a pin in its place.

Disclaimer: If you read this far, but missed my initial post in this thread, I'm neither championing the idea of running three bolts alone or relying on the pin. However, I still think that if the need arose, the quick release pin still seems to be adequate as a temporary measure to get you home.

If I missed something in my reasoning please don't hesitate to contribute.
Raymond73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Driver side upper engine mounting bolt Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

I believe that one of those hidden tins has a 6mm hex head screw holding it (10mm wrench), the other has a 6mm nut (10mm wrench).

Ahh, yes. I took a look at the EMPI tins, There are matching studs on the shroud. Hmm, it might be possible. I'm still not sure about accessing them with my vacuum control valve in the way. It's hard to visualize how much space will be in front of the new shroud and offset cooler with the engine still sitting on the floor.

However, this definitely opens up the possibilities of leaving the four standard bolts without going the press-in nut route or the quick release pin. I just might have to enlist my daughter's help (small arms!)

Thanks again, Cusser.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Driver side upper engine mounting bolt Reply with quote

Raymond73 wrote:
I honestly didn't consider the option of installing the tins after the engine was put back in. I was thinking that I would need to seal those tins with aluminum tape and that there wasn't enough space to access everything after the engine was in.

Thanks for additional info, Cusser.

I believe that one of those hidden tins has a 6mm hex head screw holding it (10mm wrench), the other has a 6mm nut (10mm wrench).
Raymond73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Driver side upper engine mounting bolt Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Raymond73 wrote:
I'm thinking that possibly using three bolts and one stud would be sufficient.

Two of the original engine fasteners are already studs. But they're threaded studs.

Wait, are we even considering having this discussion right now?? Shocked

Robbie

Yes, we are having a discussion. This is what a forum is supposed to be: Individuals discussing the merits (or lack thereof) of an idea. To this point no actions have been taken. Surely you would agree that it is better to think through something first and then act.

Unfortunately the quote you extracted doesn't examine how I came to that possibility and paints my whole thought experiment (at least to the casual observer) with a bias that I am honestly championing this as a superior alternative to the captive nut. I'm not, by the way. I think I prefaced my post in such a way to outline this.

Maybe you are an expert in the mechanical properties and forces involved. Maybe you have already discussed this topic to death, ad nauseam. That's cool. I don't claim to know everything. I am comfortable admitting my ignorance in something. If it's a terrible idea please tell me why.
Raymond73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Driver side upper engine mounting bolt Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I say: get the correct captive nut insert, just install it, should be straightforward.

Or just use pre-1971 bolt and nut, and install the two little doghouse tins after the engine has been installed. I've done that, and it WAS straightforward.

I agree the captive nut is the most ideal. Cracking the flange or drilling the hole incorrectly were negative results that I was weighing against. You know, the point of no return.

I honestly didn't consider the option of installing the tins after the engine was put back in. I was thinking that I would need to seal those tins with aluminum tape and that there wasn't enough space to access everything after the engine was in.

Thanks for additional info, Cusser.

Last edited by Raymond73 on Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: