Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bay window gas tank install
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bherder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Bay window gas tank install Reply with quote

Ok, so I've read all of the samba threads on a bay window gas tank install. I purchased a bay window gas tank with one vent hole on the top and a threaded fitting on the bottom for the fuel supply. I read this is the best fitting tank to get. I bought some NBH 1055 fuel hose from napa like all of the threads talk about.. Fits great....

The tank on the other hand doesn't fit very well. The neck hits the top like this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And the tank is as far back as it can go. Pictured here:

I've got extra tank straps to make up the extra length, but this doesn't seem to fit like all of the other threads (like vintagebus) talk about. What am I missing? I appreciate the help.

Update: After looking at the pic on vintage bus, maybe my situation is perfectly normal. Please advise.

Parts manual:
http://oacdp.org/
GDOG57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did this on my '57 panel.Everything you have pictured is correct.It sits the same way in my panel.It is a pain in the a** to get the hose on,but it can be done.Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: bay window gas tank install (I read all threads, vintage Reply with quote

Just needs a bit more hackage to the package. I'd "tweek" the receiving part of the neck on the tank (pictured above) down some to clear the top. That will prevent the kink in the hose. Cool

I also ecountered "issues" when I had my custom aluminum tank made. I gave dimensions so as to use every possible inch of space in there for fuel capacity (the forward bulkhead of the tank slants down). However, I neglected to allow for installation space! Shocked So it was a hella bitch to install securely as I barely had a inch per side of room to maneuver in there. For the neck, I had a "reducer" pipe welded to the original '65 filler neck. Unless you look into the engine compartment, you can't tell there's anything different by looking in the filler neck from the outside. Razz
RPGreg2600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just test fit my bay tank and thought I might have the wrong tank it fits so poorly. I guess that's just the way it is.
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perfectly solveable. I have a bay in my split. I cut the end of the hose that shoves onto the tank at an angle. Pictures to follow............

Thomas Pedigo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is another reason I drive a Singlecab! Smile
Brandini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, just cut the hose at an angle it is a pain but it will work! good luck!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it worked best after denting the bottom corner of the center rear of the tank so it did not touch the body sheet metal over the transaxle. Had to take out the sender after and push back out the forward/center of the tank, a wood base ball bat worked very well for that.

That way the later tank sets down into the same four places as the original tank. Added four pieces of folded tar paper to keep tank and body metal from rubbing in those spots.

Even with all that, had to cut and reangle the older neck to fit, and not keep popping the tank neck grommet out of the body hole it is supposed to seat into.

Has worked great since then.
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x2 on denting the bay tank
beetjunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is this the same process in using a bay tank in a 64 double cab? Is there any modification to the tank? Cutting or welding?
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dent the tank. Then line the tank with vinyl sloshing sealer. You can get it at the airplane parts supply store. You need to extend the straps which hold down the tank. Install a reserve tap because VW gas gauge senders suck. Happy trails.
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut off the neck of the stock tank and throw away the neck of the bay tank. No welding required. If you must weld then fill the tank with water. No one needs to get hurt.
Thomas Pedigo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe cool wrote:
Cut off the neck of the stock tank and throw away the neck of the bay tank. No welding required. If you must weld then fill the tank with water. No one needs to get hurt.
That's what I did.Works great but...the filler is impossible to get back to the original angle,through rubber grommet,due to the bay takeout.
GDOG57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And because of that angle,you will have to pump slow at some stations.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Daddybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you plug the top vent, then you'll have to rock the bus to burp the air out of the top of the tank as it will have no place to go. The air in the top of the tank won't allow you to completely fill the tank. I unplugged the tanks vent (after following vintagebus directions). I welded a tube to the stock splitty tank neck and used the stock bay vent tube, so the air escapes from the top of the tank to the neck (vented cap).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas Pedigo wrote:
That's what I did.Works great but...the filler is impossible to get back to the original angle,through rubber grommet,due to the bay takeout.

That is why we cut angle and weld the neck to fit from tank to neck filler holder.
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have a photo of how they dented or flattened out the underside of the bay tank? I got mine in place today, but do not like the way it sits. I pulled it back out to look at other reasonable ideas.
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few photos of my bay tank in the 66.
I had to jack up the luggage area to get it in and it still cut the wiring to the fuel sender. Next time I will tape them down, but I am also thinking of making an access hatch from above.
Anyhow, I do not like how it sits, so I am asking to see some photos on how you flatten out the lower rear section.

TOOB Member #15
Brian
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same issue. it took me 5 trys to get it in without yanking the sender wire out Evil or Very Mad
I was thinking of shimming the tank with some 1x2 blocks or something?
Im also not sure what direction I want to go with my filler neck. I hate to cut up my old tank just for the filler but that seems to be the cleanest way
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norcalmike wrote:
I have the same issue. it took me 5 trys to get it in without yanking the sender wire out Evil or Very Mad
I was thinking of shimming the tank with some 1x2 blocks or something?
Im also not sure what direction I want to go with my filler neck. I hate to cut up my old tank just for the filler but that seems to be the cleanest way

I figured out that I will have to make up new wire and reroute them around the tank to avoid the high points.

As for the high point on the lower section of the tank, I am going to glue felt underneath it to keep from getting metal to metal friction and I am going to look at ways to support the sides with rubber of vinyl.

As for the filler, I am going to try the angle cut and see if it will miss the upper supports and line up with the split fill spout.

Thanks for responding and sharing your issues. It gets my brain in gear to solve the problem. I will update as I move along. Wink
TOOB Member #15
Brian
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: