Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best portable heater for my 'van?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Julian13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Best portable heater for my 'van? Reply with quote

I was reading through the posts last evening and saw a post recommending a portable propane heater and no other posts.

Recently, it was suggested I go for a parabolic heater and it got me wondering about a compact ceramic heater.

What do you guys use? I will have both a deep cycle battery system and electric hook up in my Eurovan soon and wondered what are the pros and cons.
My feeling is that the propane might have safety issues with breathing fumes in an enclosed space and wondered if the other two carry safety issues if they get knocked over against some fabric or just too close to seats etc.

What's the story guys?
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any electric heater would most likely kill your battery within minutes. If you're tethered to a power cord, they should work fine. Any of the propane heaters designed for tent use will be perfectly safe in a van. The Mr. Buddies are pretty popular. We have one that we use in our tent occasionally.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're limited on storage space, consider using the MH4B heater buddy. It simply screws onto the top of a 1lb. propane canister and a wide base fits onto the bottom. It's perfect for the smaller space of a Vanagon, but don't expect it to heat the top when popped if you're not using some sort of insulation. Still has the low-oxygen auto shut off feature and fits under the seat with all my other crap. Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Julian13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys. I will have to google the mini buddy to see if we can get it in BC.

Funnily enough, I went into MEC yesterday to get a fresh canister for my lightweight camping stove and apparently there is a ban on selling propane canisters over 100ml at the moment. It seems the issued call is because of either signage or a question of whether it's legal to sell it in Canada! How bizarre!
914 mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly 'portable', but it heats the van up completly and we can sleep on top of the sleeping bags in near freezing weather outside.......

Salvaged from a wrecked RV. Box its in is bigger than it needs to be but holds all the components while not in use. Doesn't take up any room during warm weather camping. Cost less than $70 and fits up in the luggage box.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Julian13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Crap, look at the size of that thing!
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julian13 wrote:
Holy Crap, look at the size of that thing!

That's what she said!
Julian13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wish! Wink
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't get the heater buddy mini, too small in my opinion, but I have the regular heater buddy. Mostly when I use it, I just use the low setting, but it's sure nice to have the higher setting when you need it.
Don't have to worry about safety issues if it tips over, auto shut off.
Same with auto shut off for low oxygen. However it does say on the info packet to have a minimum 4" by 4" opening for oxygen.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Julian13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Levi. I am sure you won't know as you are in Vegas but does anyone know if/where they can be bought in Canada?
shorepig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Julian,

you can buy them at Princess Auto, out in Burnaby near the IKEA. I used to have the little buddy, which now seems to have a new name:

http://www.mrheater.com/product.aspx?catid=41&id=24

But, it was ripped off out of my van!

I replaced it with the BIG buddy:

http://www.mrheater.com/product.aspx?catid=41&id=116

This heater is awesome! It cranks out 18 000 BTU, and has a low med and high setting, as well as a built in battery powered fan, which helps to circulate the hot air throughout the van. It produces more than enough heat to fill the van. I've often used it up in Whistler when it has been about -10 in the village, and it is plenty warm. BUT....all this heat comes at a cost...it creates alot of moisture in the van. moisture = rust

If you are interested in checking it out I will be using it tomorrow while working inside my westy (nanaimo and hastings area).

It is a nice heater, and I recommend it!
2013 ktm 690r
Sector nine pintail
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Julian13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shorepig, thanks for the heads up on Princess Auto. Assuming that your Westy Vanagon in your avatar I will try adn swing by tomorrow afternoon after I have been 'boarding at Cypress.

I don't suppose that would have been you turning onto Cambie by Canadian Tire around 1700 yesterday? It was a very sweet tan Vanagon Westy which had been lowered and was riding on some nice 5 (?) spoke alloys. A very clean and tidy ride.
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Best portable heater for my 'van? Reply with quote

I use the heater buddy too and it heats up my westy weekender nicely in all the cold weather I've camped in so far. I always vent (door windows cracked or top vent open) and never sleep with it on as a extra precaution.
surfinwesty Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the little bit larger heater buddy that is ceramic from Coleman and the girls really love it on cold nights camping Cool

The heater claims it wont kill you and that it is safe to use indoors. Has anyone hooked up a CO2 monitor while this type of heater was working? I never open windows but the old westy has holes in the pop top and the sunroof is not a good seal, so I guess that ventilates it. I leave it on low all night and love it when I go camping or early surf sessions. But than again; I am pretty weird to be surfing fridged waters in norcal during fogged out conditions early in the AM.

Retired:
"Swell Chaser #1" 1980 Westy (in VW Heaven)
"Swell Chaser #2" 1981 Westy (sold to loving family)
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I no longer have the box or even the heater at hand but as I recall the manufacturer had cautions posted. Even though the heaters have built-in safety features, burning propane consumes oxygen. Sometimes appliances don't always function as intended. Also, they caution about having pillows or blankets falling on it during the night potentially causing a fire. I err on the side of extra safety - I've experienced an electric heater fire before.
shorepig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julian,

Nope, that wasn't me at crappy tire. My westy rides high..higher that a syncro, on BFG all terrains. I'll pm you my #, feel free to give me a call tomorrow after you carve the ice up at Cypress if you want to check out the heater. It's about time we get another dump of pow!

Hey surfin westy,

I totally use my big buddy heater to get my wetsuit nice and toasty in the morning b4 hitting the water. It works like a charm. Sure beats peeing in the wetsuit. This past weekend I was out in 3 degree (celcius) with 70 km / hr winds up here in Canada! Thank goodness we don't have the man in the white suit lurking in our waters!
2013 ktm 690r
Sector nine pintail
surfinwesty Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shorepig wrote:
Julian,

Sure beats peeing in the wetsuit. This past weekend I was out in 3 degree (celcius) with 70 km / hr winds up here in Canada! Thank goodness we don't have the man in the white suit lurking in our waters!

Man I complain when it gets the water gets to 49 degrees, I don't know how you do it. However, pee builds character.

Retired:
"Swell Chaser #1" 1980 Westy (in VW Heaven)
"Swell Chaser #2" 1981 Westy (sold to loving family)
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 4 basic types of heaters.

1. They use propane, and get their air from inside the van, and their spent fumes are released into the van. They are not safe in a closed van, you must have an open window. They are not safe to sleep with in a closed van, because they consume oxygen and release carbon monoxide. The flame burns with yellow tips above 8000 feet, thats bad. Capable of 6500 btu heat output, very strong. Produces water vapor.

2. They get their air from a dedicated outside duct, and they discharge their spent fumes outside the van, thru a dedicated duct. You can sleep with these. There is no chance of contact with the flame source from bedding, and there is no chance of oxygen inside the van being used by the heater flame, nor does the heater exhaust enter the van. These units have thermostats, and will keep turning themselves on and off to keep the van temperature constant, not too hot, not too cold.. Capable of 6500 btu. No water vapor produced inside the van.

3. Catalytic heaters that get their air from inside the van, and have an afterburner technology that is supposed to permit more complete combustion so the combustion byproduct is limited to water vapor, in theory.. imo better than a ceramic/flame heater because more complete combustion, but still a risk of fire if bedding falls on it, and still a risk of using up the oxygen in a closed van while sleeping. Great for spot heat, hand and toe warming in the morning. Generally limited to 3000 btu or less, moderate heat.

4. Electric heaters, as used in the home, that require house current, often used in Canada where Westies come with really FAT power cords. Capable of 5000 btu output, does not produce water vapor, nor Carbon Monoxide.

Type 1 includes Mr. Heater Buddy, and any other branded heater that burns a flame on a ceramic core. Portable, fits in the closet. Cost about $80 US, uses 1 pound bottles.

Type 3 includes heaters like the Coleman Black Cat. Very portable, fits under the bench seat. Cost about 30-60 US, uses 1 pound bottles

Type 2 heaters include Propex heaters. They are expensive, $700 plus installation, plumbed permanently to the propane supply of the Camper, not portable. The only safe heat for a self contained closed van while sleeping..

Type 4 heaters are great for people who have access to shore power, they are safe to sleep with in terms of not consuming oxygen, and not producing waste gasses, but they ARE vulnerable to having some bedding or clothing come in contact and catch fire. Can be bought for $20

1500 btu will make a nice small spot heater, like a handwarmer under the table. You have to get real close.

3000 btu will create very nice spot heat, but is too hot to put under the table, and wont warm the whole van. You will not huddle as close to it as to a 1500btu heater, but it will only keep you warm if you stay close to it.

6500 btu will warm the whole van to 40F above outside temp. You wont need to huddle over it, in fact, it will make you back away.

I use a Propex, I also had a Heater Buddy Clone that I really disliked using, as the ski area base was at 10,000 feet. It made no sense to me to have to leave the window open, but if I did not the fumes smelled bad in the van.

I still use both my Coleman Cats, I have a 1500 and a 3000 btu model. I like to use the 1500btu model better. The gas lasts longer, and I like having it under the table..

so my recommendations are
Coleman Cat, the small one, for spot heat when its above 55F outside

Propex, when you really need the best.
Propex, for the serious snow camping

Just my opinions

Last edited by Jon_slider on Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:40 am; edited 4 times in total
Julian13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like type 3 would be your choice.
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's what I did:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=378315&highlight=catalytic+heater
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: