Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Splitcase trans.... lets talk!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread interests me, as i still have the split case trans in my 57 panel, and it will have near 80 hp soon. Ive been wondering how well it will hold up offroading. I guess i will soon find out. I also have an extra one in case. Smile

Note to EVERYONE.
Know your ZDDP levels or you WILL lose a cam and lifters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DANP85
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Splitcase trans.... lets talk! Reply with quote

Just putting this one back out there to see if anyone has anything to add…
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Splitcase trans.... lets talk! Reply with quote

What are you looking to do with it?
They're pretty tough for as simple as they are, but most of the parts are NLA. If you're planning to beat on a transmission at all, I would use a 61 or later tunnel style transmission, as parts are still available from Weddle
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
For starters.... no synchro 1st. The mainshaft is smaller than your pinky.

Second...very tiny gear teeth. The gears in my lawnmower has bigger teeth.

The axles are also skinny.

You really do NOT to go far away from civilization w/ this early trans.

I think VW came up w/ much better trans real quick after the split.

If you are trying to save few bucks it is not worth it if you want to take this vehicle in the dunes.

I mean, they did some improvements as time went on, but there's nothing inherently so 'weak' about a split-case that Porsche was able to continue using a bunch of the exact same parts in the 741 trans into the mid 60's.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Splitcase trans.... lets talk! Reply with quote

Okay, back in 1999 I along with the other eight invited USA owners were invited and then drove our pre-1957 splitcase transaxle equipped Vintage Volkswagens from the Pacific Ocean in L.A. all the way across the USA ducking into Canada and then to the Atlantic Ocean in NYC, then we shipped them by container ship to England. We flew to London three weeks later, has a dinner with Major Ivan Hirst, and then we drove them all around Europe attending Vintage VW events, and then back to England, then we hopped in these old cars again on the East Coast and drove the car back home (in my case to Missouri). Look it up, the adventure was called the "Return To The Fatherland Tour '99".

The point of all this is that I drove my 1955 Deluxe Sunroof Beetle 6,631 miles over 28 driving days on that Tour adventure, and neither I nor any of the other owner/drivers suffered any issues with our splitcase transaxle equipped Vintage VWs. None of us! There is nothing inherently wrong with these transaxles if you drive reasonably and keep up on normal, simple scheduled maintenance. We're living proof!

'Nuff said!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by BulliBill on Fri May 12, 2023 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Splitcase trans.... lets talk! Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Back in 1999 I along with the other eight invited USA owners were invited and then drove our pre-1957 splitcase transaxle equipped Vintage Volkswagens from the Pacific Ocean in L.A. all the way across the USA to the Atlantic Ocean in NYC, then we shipped them by container ship to England, flew to London and then we drove them all around Europe attending Vintage VW events, and then back to England, then home again from the East Coast. Look it up, the adventure was called the "Return To The Fatherland Tour '99".

I drove my 1955 Deluxe Sunroof Beetle 6,631 miles over 28 driving days on that Tour adventure, and neither I nor any of the other owner/drivers suffered any issues with our splitcase transaxles. None of us! There is nothing inherently wrong with these transaxles if you drive reasonably and keep up on normal, simple scheduled maintenance. We're living proof!

'Nuff said!

Bill Bowman

Wow that must of been an great experience you were lucky to do that long Adventure ...wish I could do something like that....
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Splitcase trans.... lets talk! Reply with quote

Here is a Samba.com discussion thread about a possible 20 year reunion/re-enactment of the "R.T.T.F.T.'99" which has discussion about the original adventure and some nice photos from the 1999 Tour.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=702944&highlight=return+to+the+fatherland+tour

Who knows, maybe one of these days some Tour participants will come up with a coffee table book about this incredible adventure...

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TXHCBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Splitcase trans.... lets talk! Reply with quote

Someone mentioned to me that split-case axles are lighter than tunnel case axles and fit on a later tunnel case trans.....are the split case axles decently strong? Obviously I wouldn't build a dragger with them, but if they save weight...could be useful...plus keeping more original parts with my car is a plus.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Splitcase trans.... lets talk! Reply with quote

They're pulling your leg. I have a pile of split case and tunnel style axles, and they're the same. I mean, I haven't taken a micrometer to them to compare, but they look the same (assuming short axles)
TXHCBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Splitcase trans.... lets talk! Reply with quote

Hmm...I wonder if the axle tubes were what they were referring to..
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Splitcase trans.... lets talk! Reply with quote

Tubes are the same too, except for maybe the shock mounts changed (straight or curved)
RolandD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Splitcase trans.... lets talk! Reply with quote

The oval split case brake drums may be smaller, and hence lighter, than the later tunnel drums.

Roland
TXHCBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Splitcase trans.... lets talk! Reply with quote

I asked the original source to elaborate, this was his response:

"I race formula vee and in our community it isn't super well known but you can visually see the split case axles have less material. I have around 20 axles in our shop and have weighed all of them. They're skinnier than the later ones out towards the threaded end.

We're not allowed to do any machining on the axles so you're stuck with how they came from the factory. The split case axles can be a pound or more lighter."

Very interesting!
nbuscemi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Splitcase trans.... lets talk! Reply with quote

Wow... I can't believe this tread is still alive. 14 years old! The car in question was my entry into ACVW. Split-Case trans... what the heck was I thinking? Now I have a 68 Sedan and a lot better understanding (while not perfect) of these cars!

-Nick-
grueni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Splitcase trans.... lets talk! Reply with quote

Maybe Some usefull informations:
IT has it's Limits. Ring and pinion ist on the small Side.
I used this Transmission on my daily for 20Tkm with about 80hp 165nm but hard beaten all day Long plus 1/8mile runs. hp is not intersesting, Torque is.
it is very easy to rebuild.
And yes the Drums are more than 1 kg lighter each than the later Versions still use the Breaks in my current drag all around oval Beetle Drums. Machined and changed to 40mm wide shose. I never Had a Problem with the Transmission Just out poppins Gears on the begining, traction bar solved that Problem. The Transmission was used before i never opened IT, Just years later starting to rebuild also split Case Transmissions. But i did Not weight them sadly but i Bet they are lighter than later ones.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Splitcase trans.... lets talk! Reply with quote

Quote:
" .. the split case axles can be a pound or more lighter .."

. .. but unfortunately considerably weaker. We recommend the later short axles whenever installing a TBD or LSD in the 111 trans

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: