Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Prerunner vans
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love My Westy wrote:
...'86 Westy Weekender i... has a much tighter turn radius than PS which has really come in handy turning around in tight places. ...

what is the turn radius?
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randywebb wrote:
Love My Westy wrote:
...'86 Westy Weekender i... has a much tighter turn radius than PS which has really come in handy turning around in tight places. ...

what is the turn radius?

According to my original sales brochure for a 1986 model, the turning circle for a non-power steering model is 35.1 feet, and for a model with power steering, 37.7 feet, a difference of 2.6 feet. Rich
psych-illogical
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump!

Just hoping a few more folks might post some pix of their faux Syncros for added inspiration.

I'm going to be doing some upgrades to my Westy this summer. 90% of the time mine serves me very well. It's just getting down some of the rougher forest roads finding a place to camp when I wish I had just a bit more ground clearance and better traction. I'm definitely going to go with some lift springs and new shocks. Maybe some trans mods too. I'd like to go with an LSD and wouldn't mind a slightly lower 1st gear to ease the banging on rocky roads. I don't really want to go with a granny gear 5 speed though. Does anybody offer something like a 5 or 10% lower first?

Anyway, how's about a few more prerunner van photos?
'96 BMW R1100GS
914 mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Not super high up. I am running 27/8.50/14's and a couple of spacers above the rear springs. It sits noticably higher up than my 83 westy. With the suby motor and the clearence it has, I feel comfortable taking this thing just about anywhere.....and I have.

This spring I am installing 85 front springs, syncro rear's and 15" tire and rims.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Van Cafe / Syncro.org spring set. with Monroe coil-overs in the rear and Bilstiens in the front.
~17-3/4" in front and 18-1/4" in the rear.. overall ~3inches taller including tires.

MBZ knock off steelies 16x7 ET37
Loogy's front stud converters and lugnuts all around

BFG Radial Long Trail T/As.. 225/75r16... ~29"
Temporary 10mm spacers in front.

Those tires sure do fill up the wheel well, though..

Passeneger side front still rubs on deep compression with slgiht steering angle and someone in the passenger seat.

A second set of rear control arms sit on my work bench.. cut, grind and weld.
G60s in the works for the front...
New drum rebuilds soon, too. Parts sit there waiting for me to get motivated

Bought a flaring tool and will be fabbing up all new brake lines.. yippee!

Maybe I'll get some wintry shots this weekend.
First road trip with the new shoes.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
ANGOVAY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J D that's a great shot of your van and the BFG Long Trails. I really like the black wheels and the outlined white lettering.
jacob.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j_dirge, thats a hella nice van. Good work.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey.. Thanks guys!

I'm not much of a motor head.. yet.
But this van is a fun project *most* of the time.

I'm trying to get amped up to start the tear down on the SVX.. and I may even try my own transmission rebuild adding a Peloquin and regear.. we shall see.

The interior is morphing into a modular system, where I can swap in and out the kitchen unit for a middle bench seat.. seating for 6!
Daily driver/kid hauler ---> camper and back again.

A couple minor tweeks and I think I can get the interior swap down to 15-20 minutes at most. Am looking into some quick dis-connect systems for the propane...
At the same time I will be building a new water cabinet box that should allow the kitchen to move back 3 or 4 inches... That makes for much more comfortable driving position for my string bean body.

Occasionally I suffer a bout of Syncro envy.. and then I look at that poor SVX in my garage.. a pity to gut it.
But... <shaking my head>
Laughing

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
chimivee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sound plenty motor headed to me.

j_dirge wrote:

The interior is morphing into a modular system, where I can swap in and out the kitchen unit for a middle bench seat.. seating for 6!
Daily driver/kid hauler ---> camper and back again.

Pics!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allsierra123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im so glad other people are doing this too there 2wd vans. Mine is getting setup up prerunner style little by little. Hopefully someday to make a baja trip but for now It just sees the sand dunes around here. I want to go 5 speed with a locker eventually but until then it is staying auto. Great thread and nice pics guys.
JeffRobenolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

225 75 15's, stock front springs with Ford Bronco shocks, 1.5" of cutting board in the rear with Chevy Astro van shocks.

19" to fender lip empty.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
the stormtrooper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: 27+ tires in stock 2wd Reply with quote

loads of people have posted with tires overall diameter greater than stock. 225/75r15 and up, do these require modification to the supsension? do they rub or interfear with turning if you don't?

any recommendations for an A/T tire r15 that's as close as possibel to stock diameter? I'm installing a zetec now, and plan on big brakes so r15 will be my min.

thanks!
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have upgraded to 205/70r15 Cooper Discovery A/T Sport. It's a Mud+Snow all season. Not a bad tire. This is yet another pic of us out Geocaching in Domo. We (I) don't hesitate to drive him ANYWHERE in Germany so far!

WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fastwagens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very cool buses, Just picked up wheels and tires and now waiting for the first dry day to lift my van from a lowered suspension to a lifted one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been watching the 2wd lifted van threads pretty close. I plan on lifting my 87 Westy. I am looking for clearance not traction. We often travel well packed dirt roads but have rocks that can cause clearance issues and we also park on grass fields quite a bit during the summer to vend at farmers markets. Sometimes the fields have hidden objects and this is where the clearance comes in. The rear can be lifted like a syncro as I have read and done in the past. Is there any differences besides springs on the rear of a syncro vs 2wd?
For the front is where I am not sure what route to take. I like the Burley arms he offers (his welding skills friggin rock!!) and willing to pay for safety,but what springs would be reccomended? What about shocks?

Bill
87 Westy
Zetec Turbo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FrankenSubySyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillM wrote:
Sometimes the fields have hidden objects and this is where the clearance comes in. The rear can be lifted like a syncro as I have read and done in the past. Is there any differences besides springs on the rear of a syncro vs 2wd?

My syncro used to be a 2wd automatic. The rear end is exactly the same except for the springs and shocks. The one thing no one has mentioned is the rear skid plate. You can only raise it so far but you can still hit rocks in some places. Why not protect the engine like a syncro? Especially with a subaru hanging lower than stock and the oil pan being exposed.

I know a guy with a TDI syncro 16 that punctured his oil pan on a trail ride in Tillamook state forest. Oil was leaking pretty bad, someone had some type of dry epoxy that they patched the hole with to get them back to camp.

You could use one from a syncro but you would have to make the front mounting tabs. The rear of the syncro skid plate mounts to the mustache bar and the front mounts to a couple tabs that are welded to the frame crossmember where the front of the trans mounts to the frame.

Here is what one looks like: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1089988

Add some metal plate to the bottom to finish it off. Here is my custom made one, modeled after the stock one. I made the mounting tabs out of angle iron and welded them to the crossmember. It can be done on a 2WD!!

F & R lockers, decoupler, SS, 6.17 R&P
Trans Cooler
EMPI race prepped 930 CVs and axles
Bilstein coilover front, rear ProComp MX-6066R shocks, 14" hypercoil springs
30x9.5 15" BFG Muds
Custom skid plates
Nose job (custom front bumper) http://www.flickr.com/photos/subyvanagon/sets/72157624970330925/
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Frankinsuby. I do have a skid plate for the engine. It's a bolt on from Bostig to protect my Zetec. I am waiting for their transmission skid plate next. I really like the way their skid plate is seamless with the engine cradle. You might know the answer to this question. Is it possible to put just the front syncro suspension without the front differential and still leave them front gas tank in place?

Bill
87 Westy
Zetec turbo
FrankenSubySyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillM wrote:
Thanks for the info Frankinsuby. I do have a skid plate for the engine. It's a bolt on from Bostig to protect my Zetec. I am waiting for their transmission skid plate next. I really like the way their skid plate is seamless with the engine cradle. You might know the answer to this question. Is it possible to put just the front syncro suspension without the front differential and still leave them front gas tank in place?

Bill
87 Westy
Zetec turbo

I think you probably could but don't think you would gain much considering the cost and time it would take. You would also have to swap the power steering rack mounting crossmember which is welded to the frame so you would have to cut it out of both and weld the syncro one to the 2WD. The syncro one moves the rack about 3" forward. You would be better off getting a locking syncro transmission.

I've gotten my 2WD stuck on forest service roads trying to turn around and one wheel goes into a ditch or hole and starts spinning (one wheel drive). That inspired me to build a syncro. I didn't want to pay $7000 for a running syncro when I knew the engine would be replaced by a subaru. Its not the suspension that makes a syncro, its the drivetrain.
F & R lockers, decoupler, SS, 6.17 R&P
Trans Cooler
EMPI race prepped 930 CVs and axles
Bilstein coilover front, rear ProComp MX-6066R shocks, 14" hypercoil springs
30x9.5 15" BFG Muds
Custom skid plates
Nose job (custom front bumper) http://www.flickr.com/photos/subyvanagon/sets/72157624970330925/
cmvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

88 Westy with BFG AT, GW lift springs (notice the sag), Bilstein HD shocks, and Peliquin LSD. Super happy with the off road capability... the rear end sag not so much, but GW is sending me some spacers. LSD and tire combo gets me up to the mountain with out chaining up. I hate chains! TDI installation next month! Syncro conversion after that?

Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are all "pre-runners"?

All I see is tires and lift kits. Where are the bull bars, ladders, lights, skid plates, racks, rocket launchers, etc?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 28

Jump to: