Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Prerunner vans
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Prerunner vans Reply with quote

Red Beard wrote:
llilibel03 wrote:
Just curious how many of you had to replace your CV joints when you lifted the van? IN this respect would it make any difference if you went with 15" instead of 16" rims?

Rim/tire diameter will make no difference as far as the CVs are concerned.

Duh...now that I think about it...

But back to question #1...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeroen_M625
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Prerunner vans Reply with quote

llilibel03 wrote:
Just curious how many of you had to replace your CV joints when you lifted the van? IN this respect would it make any difference if you went with 15" instead of 16" rims?

In my case I used a set of new double green syncro springs at the back to lift a 2WD Westy. Lowered the engine mounts and gearbox mount about 30mm (1 1/5"). With normal load I can just mount the standard shocks fully extended, so had to extend the shocks (a adapter to raise bottom pivot joint shock was quickest solution). Used the standard CV joints, since syncro has them as wel (with dropped engine/transmission).
Have to lengthen the front shocks also since the GW 1.5" lift springs gave the club joker a lift of almost 80mm (bit over 3")...
Without longer shocks the van has zero suspension stroke so it lifts it wheels in the air after every little bump, very bouncy and dangerous to drive.
86scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Prerunner vans Reply with quote

llilibel03 wrote:
Nice work Madcat. I was thinking of spending $200 for the Gowesty upol liner product, but $36 sounds way better and yours looks great. I see you plugged the mud flap holes. What did you use for that?

Also are those the GW black bumpers? Could you just spray the chrome ones?

Why buy the from GoWesty for twice the price as Amazon?

There's more than one way to skin a van. Laughing

https://www.amazon.com/U-Pol-Products-0820-RAPTOR-...ptor+liner
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Prerunner vans Reply with quote

This is my 91 multivan. Right now it is up in harpswell Maine with the boys at Foreign Auto and Supply having a 1.9 tdi pd installed along with a rebuilt, regeared trans with limited slip. The van has the Gowesty off road bundle (1.5 lift spring and fox shocks, Gw alloys and bfgs.

When we first purchased the van, the stock, low suspension of the mv had to go. The very first trip back to our house, we bottomed out at the top of the driveway (driveway is steep with a necessary "thank you mam" at the top to prevent washout during rainstorms.) The lifted suspension took care of that situation. We live on Martha's Vineyard and long, washed out, wash board roads are more common than asphalt, so the stiffer, raised suspension was a great addition. The eurospec brush guard on the front is for the 65 deer per square mile that inhabit the woods around our home and cross the roads on a regular basis. I've hit 7 deer over the years and one of the only ones that didn't cause any appreciable damage was the large buck i hit in my tacoma with a warn brush guard on the front. it might not help in every situation but I figure that the front end of a vanagon is pretty vulnerable.

In a few more weeks I'll be able to speak about the conversion and limited slip. We bought the van a little over a year and a half ago with 36,000 original miles. Well documented and meticulously maintained by po. They did drive it at least once a month so everything was in great working order. I'm doing the conversion and trans rebuild because of a total lack of power on the highways. Merging onto traffic, onto highways with higher speed limits (especially uphill) has always been dangerous. Anyways, it's been a great van and performs well off-road.

Hello to all. I'm new around here and thank you all for sharing all of the incredible and invaluable knowledge you have related to all things Vanagon.

The first photo is from the PO when it was listed for sale.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Multiman mv on Sat May 12, 2018 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yondermtn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Prerunner vans Reply with quote

Wow, nice looking Multivan Exclamation

I added zero-lift springs last Fall. I've yet to get my CLK wheels mounted.

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Prerunner vans Reply with quote

Multiman mv wrote:
This is my 91 multivan. Right now it is up in harpswell Maine with the boys at Foreign Auto and Supply having a 1.9 tdi pd installed along with a rebuilt, regeared trans with limited slip. The van also has the gowesty lift springs and fox shocks, along with their off-road 2wd wheel package with bfgs.

When we first purchased the van, the stock, low suspension of the mv had to go. The very first trip back to our house, we bottomed out at the top of the driveway (driveway is steep with a necessary "thank you mam" at the top to prevent washout during rainstorms.) The lifted suspension took care of that situation. We live on Martha's Vineyard and long, washed out, wash board roads are more common than asphalt, so the stiffer, raised suspension was a great addition. The eurospec brush guard on the front is for the 65 deer per square mile that inhabit the woods around our home and cross the roads on a regular basis. I've hit 7 deer over the years and one of the only ones that didn't cause any appreciable damage was the large buck i hit in my tacoma with a warn brush guard on the front. it might not help in every situation but I figure that the front end of a vanagon is pretty vulnerable.

In a few more weeks I'll be able to speak about the conversion and limited slip. We bought the van a little over a year and a half ago with 36,000 original miles. Well documented and meticulously maintained by po. They did drive it at least once a month so everything was in great working order. I'm doing the conversion and trans rebuild because of a total lack of power on the highways. Merging onto traffic, onto highways with higher speed limits (especially uphill) has always been dangerous. Anyways, it's been a great van and performs well off-road.

Hello to all. I'm new around here and thank you all for sharing all of the incredible and invaluable knowledge you have related to all things Vanagon.

The first photo is from the PO when it was listed for sale.

Nice van. You should start a build thread when you get it back from FAS. I'd be curious to find out the specs on the engine and trans mods.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Prerunner vans Reply with quote

Thanks for the van compliments. Some sweet looking vans posted on this topic. Yah I was thinking I would put together a build/conversion thread. I was going to try to gather as much info from Foreign Auto and Supply and couple that info with the photos of the conversion and post it. I am not the most mechanically savvy guy around but I'll put something together that could hopefully help someone either considering a tdi, a FAS kit, or a full conversion from FAS. I have no affiliation with FAS other than being a paying customer but what I have seen of their operation has been very impressive. Jon is a really knowledgeable vanagon guru who has put many years into research and development. Any ways, I will post about my experience in the near future.
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Prerunner vans Reply with quote

Which springs from GoWesty? I like the stance. I have a weekender and we sort of fall in the middle between tintops and full westies when it comes to weight.

Hans
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Prerunner vans Reply with quote

hdenter wrote:
Which springs from GoWesty? I like the stance. I have a weekender and we sort of fall in the middle between tintops and full westies when it comes to weight.

Hans

I used the 1.5 lift springs from gowesty along with the ball joint spacers. It seems to have given me plenty of ground clearance without compromising the geometry too much. Front end alignment was a little tricky but we seemed to have it figured out. It took a couple of try's but the van runs straight. Also, the mv or carat lower trim lessens the perceived lift height just slightly. Without the trim, the lift may appear a little higher.
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Prerunner vans Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, I think it looks great! Are you going to use 944 CV joints?

Hans
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Prerunner vans Reply with quote

With a 2WD it's pretty easy to lower the drivetrain height as you raise the suspension. This allows the CV angle to remain close to the stock specs. VW did this with the Syncros for this very reason. My TDI swap is set to Syncro height, so stock CVs should be more than sufficient.

y u rune klassik?
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Prerunner vans Reply with quote

Yes exactly as zeitgeist has said. I think the syncro has a two inch lift spring and I might hav run into trouble with the cv/axles if I had lifted that much. The 1.5 seems like a good compromise and didn't require upgrading the cvs and axles. Also, I didn't want to make the van even more top heavy than it already is. I have been contemplating wheels spacers to try to widen the stance just a little bit. I'm not sure a wider stance could counteract the effects of a heavy crosswind but it might help? I did add a stiffer, 1" dia sway bar up front that has definitely improved cornering.
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Prerunner vans Reply with quote

I added the 1.5 GW lift with the BJ spacers, and still had a hard time getting the alignment right. All new bushings in the front, beefed up sway bar etc. It drove straight and steering was fine, but kept wearing on the outer tire edge. Finally put on Burley's UCAs he built just for this application, and that solved it. Tire wear is perfect now.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Prerunner vans Reply with quote

That's interesting. I had the same outer edge tire wear. It sounds like this might be a common scenario with the gw 1.5 springs. I definitely had a tough time at first but I wrote it off to a bad alignment job. I might have to try those control arms. Thanks for the tip.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Prerunner vans Reply with quote

tarandusVDub wrote:
I added the 1.5 GW lift with the BJ spacers, and still had a hard time getting the alignment right. All new bushings in the front, beefed up sway bar etc. It drove straight and steering was fine, but kept wearing on the outer tire edge. Finally put on Burley's UCAs he built just for this application, and that solved it. Tire wear is perfect now.

Did you have to use the ball joint spacer with the burley uca's or did the uca's compensate for the increased angle and didn't require the spacers?
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Prerunner vans Reply with quote

Multiman mv wrote:
tarandusVDub wrote:

Did you have to use the ball joint spacer with the burley uca's or did the uca's compensate for the increased angle and didn't require the spacers?

No spacers. Designed specifically for this application. Burley can help you put together a bushings kit too if needed. If yours are original and worn out that will make a huge difference too. I did it all at once and the ride is fantastic.

http://burleysmotorsports.com/index.php?main_page=...1cmmvkr4o4
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Prerunner vans Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
With a 2WD it's pretty easy to lower the drivetrain height as you raise the suspension. This allows the CV angle to remain close to the stock specs. VW did this with the Syncros for this very reason. .

I thought it was to accommodate the fuel tank. Not sure.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Prerunner vans Reply with quote

tarandusVDub wrote:
Multiman mv wrote:
tarandusVDub wrote:

No spacers. Designed specifically for this application. Burley can help you put together a bushings kit too if needed. If yours are original and worn out that will make a huge difference too. I did it all at once and the ride is fantastic.

http://burleysmotorsports.com/index.php?main_page=...1cmmvkr4o4

Thanks. I just ordered the uca's last night. I rounded over a fresh pair of bfg's in very little time. I had been rotating the tires but they still rounded over on the outside edge. Sounds like the uca's take care of the problem. Thanks again for the tip.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Prerunner vans Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
With a 2WD it's pretty easy to lower the drivetrain height as you raise the suspension. This allows the CV angle to remain close to the stock specs. VW did this with the Syncros for this very reason. .

I thought it was to accommodate the fuel tank. Not sure.

Truthfully, Puch probably dropped the drivetrain height in order for the output flange and driveshaft to clear the frame and to make room for the fuel tank.

y u rune klassik?
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Prerunner vans Reply with quote

[quote="Zeitgeist 13"][quote="vanagonjr"]
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
With a 2WD it's pretty easy to lower the drivetrain height as you raise the suspension. This allows the CV angle to remain close to the stock specs.
(SNIP)
Truthfully, Puch probably dropped the drivetrain height in order for the output flange and driveshaft to clear the frame and to make room for the fuel tank.

I think your idea to lower the drivetrain, like the Syncro, for CV angles is a good one. One could even split the difference, such as raise van 2", drop drivetrain 1", as a compromise.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Page 23 of 28

Jump to: