Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Early Generator Rebuild?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do. Thanks John.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the best way to get the bearings off the shaft? Anyone have a preferred tool or method?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
What is the best way to get the bearings off the shaft? Anyone have a preferred tool or method?

I've used a small 3 arm puller before. Some can also be tapped off carefully with a screwdriver and hammer.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:

Use a bearing puller.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
GüteAndTite
Early Convertible Güru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
Wolfsburg West sells the bearings

http://wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111903221A

And the bushes.

Not too much to rebuilding them. You'll need a very wide, thick slotted screw driver bit to get the field cores out without munging up the the slot in the screw. I made one out of an old chisel and use it in an impact gun. You'll probably want to re-wrap the field windings an replace the leads. The paper wrap does not hold up well. I re-wrap them with black cloth tape that I use with the wiring harnesses. I use new cloth covered wires for the leads. Of course replace the brushes.

The armatures I usually just clean up, and chuck them in my drill press and spin them and run some fine ScotchBrite against the commutators. Also, I use dental pick to clean the gaps between the commutators. Metallic junk in there can cause shorts or current bleeds between the windings.

If you take it all the way down, you can bead blast the housing, and have it re-plated. Paint the end caps and make it look "cracking".... Wink

I noticed the field coils need 3 things to come out:
the 2 large screws- check,
regulator wires going through generator body need ends desoldered to pull through hole- check
the grounding wire for the 2 coils goes to a stud and fiber washer setup wish is peened like a star on the outside.-how to remove???

Id like to get my generator housing re nickel plated so its spiffy.
but I dont want to wreck this peened post gidget or the field coils.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=462533
61-67 Delanair Air conditioning Thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=457944&highlight=air+conditioning

PUNCTUATION CHANGES THE WORLD: "I need to help my uncle, Jack, off a horse" is way better than, "I need to help my uncle jack off a horse"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone have a sorce for new fiel coils and armatures
i saw an ebay add that listed them in a kit, looking for an alternative electrical supply store

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
empiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Generator Rebuild? Reply with quote

Has anyone experimented with parts interchangeability, i have a Red with a damaged shaft on the armature, I’m wondering if it possibly to use a armature from a later more common 6v unit
ozinbc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Generator Rebuild? Reply with quote

tool for removing field coil screws - from eBay: drag link socket screw, press used to apply secure retaining force, case separator used internally to prevent the case going out of round as pressure applied. Easier than I thought, no damage to the screws.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: