Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Whew, that was close!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Whew, that was close! Reply with quote

It has been butt ass cold in PDX and I have been off work and in Santa Fe. I just am getting ready to go to work tonight and I realized that I need to top off my gas tank, put the chains in, and....something else.......

Oh Yeah.....Dump both fresh and gray water tanks.

Went to the garage and backed the 91 Westy out (after warming the AT tranny up for a minute to make it move, common cold weather issue)and went to unscrew my caps. One cap open, water flowing....second cap open, drip drip drip........stop drip!

Drove up to the gas station and on the way back I noticed a freezing trail of water behind me! Water is good. Replacing tanks sucks, BTDT 2x on previous purchases.

If you already have not winterized, please do so. Whew, that was close~

Disclaimer: I am not a dumbass, I have been very involved in other things and make it a point to do this in late September on "regular years". Embarassed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already done, but thanks for putting that one out there.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reminder! I'll have to empty mine today.
ak_runner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reminding people, I have to drain mine in September. Actually the first thing I do when we get into the driveway after a trip is reach under remove the cap and shut off the propane.
Shastaclimber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winterize? What are you talking about?
etc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you typically just drain your tank or do you pour in the antifreeze goo like you would a full sized RV. My parents, who have a 5th wheel, suggested pouring in the goo, but I thought I'd be fine if I just drained the tank and the line. In any case its been like 1 degree here the past couple days in Denver so I'm SOL if I should have done more. Embarassed
ak_runner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I do is drain the tank but I do so several weeks before it gets cold enough to freeze and any residual water evaporates. It helps that I live in what is considered a dry climate.
JPrato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emptied our tank AND took the chemical toilet out from under the back seat. I usually forget that and pull it out frozen solid (the fresh water section) in December.......

87 Syncro Tin Top project
84 Westy, 2.5L Subaru power
06 Subaru 2.5 turbo in waiting
46 Cessna 140
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never done any anti-freeze 'goo'. Just drained the tank and run the pump until the lines are 'empty'. I also add a little bleach to the tank and run the pump before I drain the tank so that the tank and lines are disinfected for the winter as well.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
I've never done any anti-freeze 'goo'. Just drained the tank and run the pump until the lines are 'empty'. I also add a little bleach to the tank and run the pump before I drain the tank so that the tank and lines are disinfected for the winter as well.
Bleach in both. Tried The antifreeze once and forgot to purge the next spring. I make it a habit to not drink my onboard water without boiling first(always bring drinking jugs)....
But one drunken night, I drank some antifreeze water. Nassy!
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Whew, that was close! Reply with quote

carterzest wrote:

Disclaimer: I am not a dumbass .....

I may well be in regards to winterizing the fresh water tank Rolling Eyes

Nuts.

I had read of adding vodka to the tank and running it through the pump. Meant to do that.

Thanks for the reminder.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Whew, that was close! Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
carterzest wrote:

Disclaimer: I am not a dumbass .....

I may well be in regards to winterizing the fresh water tank Rolling Eyes

Nuts.

I had read of adding vodka to the tank and running it through the pump. Meant to do that.

Thanks for the reminder.

Neil.

I parked next to a westfalia at a show once and the guy was selling mixed vodka drinks out of his sink pump. I thought that was nasty due to my previous experience mentioned above, as well as years on sailboats drinking tank water in the middle of the ocean. Vodka may be a good alternative to antifreeze? Evaporates quick and no aftertaste. Bleach and water, rinse out early spring and water is pure, clean and semi-fresh!
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Whew, that was close! Reply with quote

carterzest wrote:

I parked next to a westfalia at a show once and the guy was selling mixed vodka drinks out of his sink pump. I thought that was nasty due to my previous experience mentioned above, as well as years on sailboats drinking tank water in the middle of the ocean. Vodka may be a good alternative to antifreeze? Evaporates quick and no aftertaste. Bleach and water, rinse out early spring and water is pure, clean and semi-fresh!

Hah! Funny.

Yup. Just suggesting that the wodka could make a good antifreeze. Especially for the lines and sink pump. I have only read of this, but my understanding is that it's possible the pump could be harmed by water freezing.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Grog in the Tank Reply with quote

I had a chat with the folks at West Marine, where I buy a lot of stuff for Winston. Apparently, quite a few boat owners pour a bottle of cheap vodka into their vessels' water systems at the end of the season, then celebrate returning their craft to commission with the resulting water.

Shocked

I'm with Dave, I drain Winston, although I don't usually run the pump afterwards. You can't be too careful, though. I'd hate to damage the tanks, hoses, or sensors.

Best!

Last edited by msinabottle on Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I acccidently let mine freeze up one time but it seems that the only damage was to the pump. So now when my van is gonna sit in cold temps for awhile I just drain the tank.

But its a non-issue where i'm at now. Its supposed to be 70 degrees all week and sunny. Cool
bac914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2010 Reminder to drain those tanks...I lost my pump to negligence last year...hoping to prevent that for anyone else this year....
walnutplanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reminder!
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carterzest wrote:
dobryan wrote:
Bleach in both. Tried The antifreeze once and forgot to purge the next spring. I make it a habit to not drink my onboard water without boiling first(always bring drinking jugs)....
But one drunken night, I drank some antifreeze water. Nassy!

I don't care who you are...that's funny right there. I like the vodka idea.

RonC
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "RV antifreeze" is not the same as anti freeze for the engine. It's essentially a sucrose (edible) and water mix with some dye so you can see it. I highly recommend spending $4 for a gallon of this and putting it in your tank and pumping through the pump until it comes out the faucet. That protects the whole enchilada including the drain/trap. It doesn't taste nasty the next year. Don't use antifreeze in a water system - it can kill you and does leave a nasty taste even if properly removed in the spring if the tank absorbs some.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is often referred to as Plumbing Anti freeze. Gosh I dont even know if I have water in the tank. Its my opinion that draining and leaving taps open is all you need to do. Pretty simple system and not overly extensive. Except for any pumps!!! They are vulnerable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: