Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
der58SC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

When I rebuilt my RGB back in January, I never used any adhesive. I just put the paper gaskets on and tighten things up. I have not had a leak and I drive my bus daily.

Should have used a adhesive or not? I ask because I have a friend bringing his bus over today because he has a leak and we will redo the axle seal.

KCCO!!

Strictly Vintage 2s
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

der58SC wrote:

Should have used a adhesive or not? I ask because I have a friend bringing his bus over today because he has a leak and we will redo the axle seal.

No. Adhesive will just make a mess to clean up next time. As long as there is no damage to the sealing surfaces, one does not need such since as you found out the gaskets do the job they are supposed to.
robin.richard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

Had a relatively easy time removing the outer bearings on both sides. Passenger side was a little harder, but it was my first attempt. Driver's side was no issue. That is until it didn't correct the play on that side. So...it's likely an inner bearing that is causing the play. What a disappointment.

Looks like I'll have to dive in and open the driver's side RGB. Not looking forward to removing the plug behind the spring plate or the nut.

Here is the outside bearing on the driver's side. Although it's smooth it looks a little off color. Burned?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

By the way, the bearing covers sealed up nicely, no issues.

-Rich
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

robin.richard wrote:

Here is the outside bearing on the driver's side. Although it's smooth it looks a little off color. Burned?

That later outer lower roller bearing looks burnt. You say it is smooth, but is that feeling that via your finger nail dragged across those surfaces?

Yes, best to just bite to bullet once you have the outer roller bearing off and just go thru all three ball bearings. If one out of the three ball bearings needs to be replaced, best to replace all three ball bearings in that RGB. Save the good used ball bearings that you have carefully inspected for a later RGB when have a full set of good used ones for use together.
Only exception I do is the roller bearing, if it looks perfect other some slight wear, will use it with three new ball bearings in a RGB.
robin.richard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

Since I just replaced the lower-outer bearing I'll reuse it. I can get all the parts: 3 x ball bearings, gaskets, new plug cover, new lock nut, locking rings for just over $100.00 shipped.

I've spent the last two nights reading through RGB rebuild threads and YouTube videos and the plug really concerns me. Especially since I don't have a welder. Also the lock nut, but that may be an easier task. Everything else seems straight forward, even without special tools. Any recommendations?

One thing that came with my axle seal kits was a PVC replacement plug. Have you seen these? It seems it would be much easier to remove.

-Rich
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

Only time we had a problem with one of the plugs, the DPO hit the side of the hole in the RGB when pushing the plug into place. That mushroomed the side of the hole over making it impossible to just pull it out. Took about an hour to carefully file out the mushroomed side of the hole. Then carefully cleaned out the seam between plug and RGB, have found the backside of an Exacto knife blade works well. Add a little oil to the seam to make it easier to slide it out.

Having a welder is so nice, get one soonest and enjoy learning. Without a welder you can do the same by drilling four holes in the plug and installing self tapping screws. Then use a claw hammer to tug it a little at a time at each screw. Any local exhaust or most any machine shop can weld the holes closed for you.

Have not used the plastic plugs.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

Did you wiggle up and down the stub axle after you had the outer bearing off? If so was there a lot of motion? If so did the inner bearing feel rumbley?

Now that it is back together how much motion is there and in which axis?

The roller bearing carries most of the load whereas the inner bearing does the thrust so you might be good for a lot of miles.
robin.richard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

BarryL,

Once the outer bearing was out the stub axle moved just a little in and out, and both from 9 to 3 and 12 to 6. Once all was put back together with new outer it still moved 9 to 3 and slightly less from 12 to 6. It is very different from the passenger side. There is enough play to make me concerned about it, but I'm sure it will last a little longer Until I gather the parts. I'm sure I've been driving with it this way for some time as I haven't looked at that wheel for about a year 😳.

I have an extra big nut trans sitting in the garage I got for $60.00 years ago. The RGB cases are rusted but today I practiced on removing the plugs. They were really rusty, but I was able to get them out with drilling holes and using the screws as Eric&Barb suggested. I plan on keeping the inner parts as spares. This is where I got the replacement seal carriers for the damaged ones I took off my Westy.

I drove the bus around today. No bearing noise than I can tell.

-Rich
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

robin.richard wrote:
and slightly less from 12 to 6.

Most likely that is because at 12 it is meshing with the gear above it. It's amazing what longevity you can get from something out of spec. Keep your eye out for the seal leaking eventually: that and some premature brake lining wear if the play is really a problem. I bet it lasts a long time.
Scorcho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111501303A

I have a M216 small nut transmission with a constantly leaking driver side axle. Thinking of replacing everything-is this the right spacer for it? Have been using one like this for a while but now im wondering if I maybe had the wrong one all along which would explain the leaking problems I have had.

Also wondering if I can but the oil slinger that goes by the cap as well
Scorcho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Only if you are running type 1 or 3 axle.

do small nut tranmissions have #4-the inner spacer?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorcho wrote:

do small nut tranmissions have #4-the inner spacer?

That is the exploded diagram for small nut RGB, with the lower outer ball bearing. So it is correct, and you need all of those parts for small nut bus built transaxles.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

I need to re-do the seals again because of a weep. I've bought new spacers because my old ones were worn. I'm hoping that'll fix it.

I used to be able to get Permatex High Tack from the US via Ebay but I've run out and can't get more because they can't/won't ship it (hazardous material). Is Gasgacinch a suitable alternative for using on the paper axle seal gaskets? I can get that in the UK.

robin.richard wrote:
Can this gasket sealer be used with good success when sealing the paper gaskets on front and back of the brake plates?

-Rich

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

Personally have never needs a sealant when doing the RGBs. Just make sure no scratches in the metal sealing surfaces and they are fairly flat. Using a fine flat file to take off the high spots is a must for any used parts.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

… only took me many rebuilds to realize, I needed new (#8 )spacers - that finally, did it - z

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
Gasgacinch a suitable alternative for using on the paper axle seal gaskets? I can get that in the UK.

Same quality as Permatex High Tack only yellow but you get the girl. Hylomar Blue is good as both or better.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Who.Me? wrote:
Gasgacinch a suitable alternative for using on the paper axle seal gaskets? I can get that in the UK.

Same quality as Permatex High Tack only yellow but you get the girl. Hylomar Blue is good as both or better.

Thanks. I have some Hylomar Blue left over from my engine rebuild. I'll use that if it's still good.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

The biggest problem with the Gasgacinch on small gaskets is the applicator is a big dauber like for putting on shoe polish instead of a little brush.
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

Does anyone know off hand if the '63 1500 option 1-ton little big nut is set up like the big nut or like the small nut as far as what pieces of the seal kit to use and not use?

I know it has small nut axles but I believe the bearing caps are specific to the transaxle.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:
Does anyone know off hand if the '63 1500 option 1-ton little big nut is set up like the big nut or like the small nut as far as what pieces of the seal kit to use and not use?

I know it has small nut axles but I believe the bearing caps are specific to the transaxle.

One ton '63 bearing cap is like small nut, but with an A at end of part number. It also take an outer spacer. Here are some photos....

2 on left, '63 one ton, 3/4 ton and big nut on right. The difference, '63 one ton have the e brake cable holder at top. The spacer with notches in it is not original, it was made by some one.

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: