Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New VW/Porsche flat-four?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: New VW/Porsche flat-four? Reply with quote

I just read a small blurb, in the new Car and Driver, that rumors coming out of VW's Wolfsburg headquarters seem to indicate that they may be planning a new flat-four in the 120 hp, 200, hp and 300 hp versions that could find their way into everything from a new baby Boxster type car to the New Beetle.

Has anybody heard anything else about this? Twood be cool!

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have read about a 4 banger porsche, but i haven't read about it used in vw's.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: New VW/Porsche flat-four? Reply with quote

loogy wrote:
I just read a small blurb, in the new Car and Driver, that rumors coming out of VW's Wolfsburg headquarters seem to indicate that they may be planning a new flat-four in the 120 hp, 200, hp and 300 hp versions that could find their way into everything from a new baby Boxster type car to the New Beetle.

Has anybody heard anything else about this? Twood be cool!

Hey Chris,

Yeah, I read that too and I started dreaming about the day in the near future when I can put a modern "Wasserboxer" in a Vanagon. The other exciting thing that would come from a rear engined New Beetle is a modern 5 or 6 speed transaxle suitable for a rear engine configuration.

Unfortunately, such a car has to be one generation away. With the current New Beetle on its last year, I believe there is a Mk 5/6 based successor due to launch in 2011. Maybe they will do a Microbus or Karmann Ghia first?

David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
McVanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2008/11/porsche-to-offer-4-cylinder-turbo.html
I hope that's a typo, and it won't be an inline.
View user's profile Send private message Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: New VW/Porsche flat-four? Reply with quote

loogy wrote:

I heard on the news last week that VW announced they are stopping production of the new beattle - I think after 2010. Also, I read yesterday VW bought a stake in Suzuki?
a914622
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iv heard rumor of a flat 4 - retro 914 maybe going into production. I think I remember it was going to be based on/ or in partnership with Subaru sti .

jcl
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: New VW/Porsche flat-four? Reply with quote

D Clymer wrote:
Maybe they will do a Microbus or Karmann Ghia first?

David

I've always been of the belief that the Audi TT is/should have been the modern Karmann Ghia. it's not a far stretch of the lines to believe, and Karmann does mfg the body.
BUT, it's badged as an AUDI so there'd never be any tie in to the VW namesake of old. for shame. Audi still carries an elitist air within it's parent company of VW.

of course I still believe the vanagons would have been a much better seller if in 1986 they teamed with Audi for a 5cylinder Quattro vanagon instead of the modified wasserboxer Syncros.
*dreams,..... Rolling Eyes 2.0TDs, 2.3 Gassers, 2.2 turbo gassers,
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that a new version of a Ghia could be a great car. So would a new 914.

According Motorauthority.com -

"A Porsche engineer has stated at an Australian press conference that Porsche is not averse to using four-cylinder engines, should the need arise. Thomas Krickelberg, Porsche's head of powertrain development, revealed that the six-cylinder engines found in the 911 had been designed so that they could have the number of their cylinders reduced if there was a "strong need to do it."

Interesting!

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"As for the Porsche model, any 914 would almost certainly have one of the automaker's flat sixes on board, with the 2.7-liter base engine from the Boxster being the most likely candidate. Rumors have also been circulating recently about the possibility of Porsche returning to four cylinder power, with the 914 being an extremely logical candidate for an engine smaller than six cylinders. The original four cylinder 914 was more popular than the six."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/future/future_vehicles/112_0809_future_vw_porsche_914/index.html

D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when the 986 Boxster first debuted in 1996, the original plan was for a 2.0 liter four cylinder version of the M96 engine family for a base model Boxster. However, the bar was raised hp wise by the SLK and a low powered base model Boxster no longer made sense. It would be nice to see a basic flat 4 in the lineup finally.

My understanding is that Porsche will launch a whole new engine family of boxer engines for the upcoming cars. This is a good thing, since the M96 watercooled flat 6 has been a disaster in terms of durability.

David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gorge Runner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a914622 wrote:
. . . I think I remember it was going to be based on/ or in partnership with Subaru sti .

jcl

Now isn't that just dripping with irony!
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, there are rumors of a new sports car, slotted below the Boxster

BUT, a sports car motor will be unsuitable for a Vanagon
BlackDogVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randywebb wrote:

HUH? You said wha??
Dingchowping
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loogy wrote:
"As for the Porsche model, any 914 would almost certainly have one of the automaker's flat sixes on board, with the 2.7-liter base engine from the Boxster being the most likely candidate. Rumors have also been circulating recently about the possibility of Porsche returning to four cylinder power, with the 914 being an extremely logical candidate for an engine smaller than six cylinders. The original four cylinder 914 was more popular than the six."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/future/future_vehicles/112_0809_future_vw_porsche_914/index.html

That article is over a year old and in that time some of the rumors mentioned have been confirmed, some denied. In the year that's passed VW has teased us with this:

http://www.vw.com/upcomingcars/bluesportconcept/en/us/

All indications are it will go into production, and come to the US (if it does it damned well better come with the 170hp TDI used in the concept!). Now the rumors floating around are Audi will use the Bluesport chasis as a platform for the 3rd gen TT and Porsche will use it either for a Boxster replacement or for a model positioned below the Bosxter. If the latter is true it will most likely use VW inline 4 cylinder engines. No word yet if they'll market it as a 914 successor.

"For once you have tasted flight,
You walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward;
For there you have been,
And there you long to return."
-Leonardo da Vinci
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dingchowping wrote:
loogy wrote:

That article is over a year old and in that time some of the rumors mentioned have been confirmed, some denied. In the year that's passed VW has teased us with this:

http://www.vw.com/upcomingcars/bluesportconcept/en/us/

All indications are it will go into production, and come to the US (if it does it damned well better come with the 170hp TDI used in the concept!). Now the rumors floating around are Audi will use the Bluesport chasis as a platform for the 3rd gen TT and Porsche will use it either for a Boxster replacement or for a model positioned below the Bosxter. If the latter is true it will most likely use VW inline 4 cylinder engines. No word yet if they'll market it as a 914 successor.

As shown in red highlighted area, I was mostly referring to flat-four engine sighted in that article, but thanks!

240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the motivation for a 4 cylinder is stricter CO2 emissions regs in certain markets. Likely Germany, they are on a very green push there, and they don't want to give up their unlimited speed autobahns to reduce CO2.

The next Boxster is supposed to be a much lighter car, making a 4 cylinder turbo a reasonable proposition. The Cayman would be based on the same program. Sales of lots of entry level 4cyl turbo Boxsters and Caymans would bring the corporate average way down, allowing them to keep building the big money making Cayennes.
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
M_atthewanderson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found where I had read this before

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/244381/

They talk that it will have a form of forced induction. I think that this was written a few weeks before VW bought half of Porsche though.
Gorge Runner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randywebb wrote:

Totally agree! Twisted Evil
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Unfortunately, such a car has to be one generation away. With the current New Beetle on its last year, I believe there is a Mk 5/6 based successor due to launch in 2011.

MKII Beetle:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://blogs.internetautoguide.com/6266360/auto-ne...index.html

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BlackDogVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorge Runner wrote:
randywebb wrote:

Totally agree! Twisted Evil

Pretty broad generalization that statement. 1.8t, subi, audi 5 cyl, VR6 etc are "sports car" engines.

4 cylinder most likely turbocharged boxer engine from porsche would be pretty sweet.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: