Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

help identifying component ...
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
youremyboyblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: help identifying component ... Reply with quote

i found this disconnected under the driver side front of my 1986 vanagon syncro the other day. searched the bentley to no avail. anyone have an idea?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

the connection is filthy but, when connected, the oxs light comes on.

thanks in advance!
iceracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the OX box. See the little round hole at the top right? Take a pencil end, eraser and push it in there and you will hear it click. You will have reset the OX light. Plug the electrical plug back on and lo and behold , the light will be out.

If you want to get real fancy, go out and buy yourself a new cat and ox sensor and replace those at this time. That is what it is for.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iceracer wrote:

If you want to get real fancy, go out and buy yourself a new cat and ox sensor and replace those at this time. That is what it is for.

Just to clarify. That box is just a mileage counter that sets off the OX light on the dash every 50,000 (or is it 60) miles. It does not monitor the state of the Cat or OX sensor. Unless you know that the cat and OX sensor are bad you don't need to replce them, unless you feel the desire to. YMMV.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
iceracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, I was just trying my hand at humor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
iceracer wrote:

Just to clarify. That box is just a mileage counter that sets off the OX light on the dash every 50,000 (or is it 60) miles. It does not monitor the state of the Cat or OX sensor. Unless you know that the cat and OX sensor are bad you don't need to replce them, unless you feel the desire to. YMMV.

Yeah, it's 60k, it just counts the miles and turns on the light, as a service reminder. That was when O2 sensors were still a fairly new technology so that was the projected lifespan of the sensor; since then we've learned they typically last quite a bit longer than that.

Your OXS warning light and ALT light circuits are also joined at the counter box, so the OXS light will also light up when you key on for a bulb-check (didn't you know you're supposed to verify that all your warning lights are working every time you key on?). With the box unplugged the ALT light comes on all by itself.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
youremyboyblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: thanks! Reply with quote

thanks for clearing that up for me!

since i'm currently troubleshooting some engine issues, i guess i'll be taking a look @ the os sensor and the cat ... Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: