Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Tuskegee Airmen deluxe
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: The Tuskegee Airmen deluxe Reply with quote

This is the new one for me. Sold the panel that I thought I would never sell after all the work I put into it. I had been after this one for a bit, but could never get ahold of the owner was working through a someone that lived in the nabhorhood. To make it harder the owner did not live at the house. So I couldn't just go over there and knock on the door.
So I would make trips over there every now and then peak into the back yard and then leave. Here are some pictures from the first day over there.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The driver side is SUPER straight no dents at all just a tit bit of rust on the rocker, even the inner rocker is solid.

Pass. side is where the cancer is, the rear corner is pretty bad, there was one concrete block under the drivers side jack point so all the water around the channel went off on the pass side rear.

It still has the old dealer tag, faded but all there. It was probaly about 2 or 3 months after these pictures that I got in touch with the owner. I was almost about to give up then a shed got put in the back yard with a for sale sign on it and a phone number. That was my big break.
As you can see this thing was hidden

It was behind the house and from the street behind it you couldn't see anything. Sadly enough when I finally found out wich house it was I saw it through these trees. I had heard about this bus and was trying to find it before I was told wich house it was.
Met with the owner super nice lady, she gave me some info on it. She thought it was a 65. From looking at it I was guessing a 64-65, just couldn't see inside of it since it was slam packed with just random stuff. I chatted with her for along time. Her dad was a Tuskegee airman and he purchased the bus new in 65 at the dealer that was in town Hamack VW. It closed in 74 or 76, but my nabhor now used to work at the dealer and remembers the owner and the bus.
She told me about how once when they were driving it she was in the pass seat, and holding onto the door handle when her dad turned she fell out of the bus onto the road. Her mom jumped out after her. Some really neat history behind this one. Im hoping she can find some pictures of the bus when they had it. Its been to New York once, and Vermont a few times. So it was used for sure.
Romans 6:13
WTB 67 beetle rear seat belts.
59 Euro ragtop build with my dad
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493553&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
65 dlx Slow build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=391061

Last edited by SkooobaSteve on Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well all the tires were flat, all of them from sitting up so long. She told me they parked it in the 70's lol. So first I opend it up so it could air out in this thing.

And opened up the drivers door and what do I see

The church key is in the correct place. So went to open up the engine see how that thing looked.

Looks like it was all OG, there was no numbers on the gen case. Sorta threw me for a loop. Posted up about it a good bit back. Its still a OE case so it must have been rebuilt back in the day. Its all there to, the 30pict carb with governer. Even the acorn nuts on the bottom of the carb, and the little clamp to hold the preheat hose down that runs in front of the pulley.
This bus was atleast taken care of while it was on the road. Not a home mechanic job. Unlike all of the other vws I've found in south alabama this one didn't have us standard size bolts and nuts all over the engine lol. Well decided to try to put some wheels under this thing. I had drug out some beetle rims with some quesionable tires on them. Was going to just put it on a trailer anyways.

This was a bad Idea. I figured that out as soon as I looked at it. I pretty much stoped working on it, at this point and started to clean it out while my dad brought me the big jack and some plywood to put the jack on so it could roll correctly.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493553&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
65 dlx Slow build

Last edited by SkooobaSteve on Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So started just dragging stuff out from inside it, there was alot of stuff. I asked the lady and she said I could just leave the stuff in the back yard and come clean it up when I could. So while waiting for the jack I did just that.

NEHI Cola anyone lol

Dog rations lol it was slam full of more empty dog food bags.
Put a dent in it and looked in the back seat and look what I found

Oh yeah the splash pan was inside in perfect shape.
While cleaning I found these eggs.
Didn't know what in the world was inside this thing so was being careful. I yanked out the old rugs that were in it and found out where the eggs came from.

Geckos there were a decent amount of them in the thing. Looks like they had made a home in this thing.
65 dlx Slow build

Last edited by SkooobaSteve on Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad showed up about this time so I got to work and he snapped some candid shots of me maknig a mess.

]

After all that work I found out one of the tires was no good. The trailer I had ligned up didn't happen either so pretty much fed up with it and it wasn't far from my house. I could have left it there over night no big deal, but I didn't want to wait on it lol. So called a wrecker company I knew for some help.
but I didn't get to close there was all sorts of trash still in it and was afraid it was going to fall all over the roads lol. It didn't though, and my wife fell in love with it when she saw it. After seeing what I did with the panel she sees the potential and not what is there. So she felt like she had to go clean the windows lol.

65 dlx Slow build

Last edited by SkooobaSteve on Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got all of the stuff cleaned out of it finally, sucks there were alot of old soggy news papers It took to 2 or 3 trashcans worth to finish cleaning it out. I still spent a day cleaning out the back yard where I pulled all the big stuff out as well.

Bad stuff if it wasn't for him storing tuskegee news and the black gazet from the late 70's to the 80's in it it wouldn't have been this bad.

65 dlx Slow build

Last edited by SkooobaSteve on Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:57 am; edited 2 times in total
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did find this box, figured it was full of more random stuff, I was wrong

Pretty much in new condition pretty cool I guess it will stay in the bus when i get it done lol.

Pretty neat some old matches from the dealer back in the day. Also found some old dog tags that belonged to the owner. I gave those back to the daughter, its a neat part of history that they were apart of so figured it would be better to give back, along with some old china that was wrapped up in newspapers gave them back as well.

The middle seat came out super easy, I just picked it up and yanked it out. There wasn't alot holding it in any more lol. Other than the cover ripped up the seat is in nice condition. The rear kick panel is perfect the middle seat kick panel is little ratty thought. I also found this sticker in the drivers side walkthrough panel

figured it got put there after his daugher fell out of the bus.
65 dlx Slow build

Last edited by SkooobaSteve on Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
bigblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very cool bus and even better story!!
1970 Sedan (fresh restoration)Trophy Queen
1973 Super Beetle (Totaled in '99)
1972 Standard Beetle SOLD

looking for a 1969 Beetle hardtop

i mess with sasquatch on weekends.

jmsmilin wrote:
...he will be tucking blocks soon...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well had a spare day so I fired up the pressure washer, man did it do wonders.

The lady also sent me the old keys to the bus.

Pretty neat its got the wrong ignition in it. Looks like a mid to late 50's beetle ignition. Still feels super tight goign to try to order a ign switch cut to the og key that she gave me.

Had a hard time getting the pass door open took some pb blaster and some elbow grease. Got all of the M-codes and other stuff after getting it open.

65 dlx Slow build

Last edited by SkooobaSteve on Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Side note if you are going to pressure wash one that is this dirty dont do it around other cars. I was working on that super beetle for someone and it ended up getting pressure washed as well lol. I made a mess.
As for the progress of this thing its going to be a little bit before I can do anything to it. I got it into the garage the engine is locked up tight. So looks like its going to be pulled apart and put on the stand for a rebuild. Just making sure not to loose any of the old og parts as I go.
I've got a few things comming up restoring a bus for someone else so need to finish that first so I can order some metal for this thing. Also need to finish up a single cab for a buddy. Then the big news my wife is pregnant. WHOOHO, we are both super excited. Oh and not lowering this one. I'm normaly into the early the better on the busses, but Im the second owner and its complete. Going to make a great family bus. I might start doing some demo work. If I do I'll update this thread.
Jonathan
65 dlx Slow build
Thornton
EMPI Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice work Jonathan

cool find on the cooler!
Jerry Hundley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool find man. Good luck Smile

Because Stock Sucks!!!!
70 baywindow deluxe
65 slammed bug
69 bug
64 drag buggy
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool find. I too am working on saving a car (67 Beetle) that was sitting for about the same amount of time. I'll be following your progress and very interested to see how it comes out. I also know how it smelled when you got it Smile
07 Boxster
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It didnt smell to bad, but it did have that somthing is living in here smell lol. The cooler was a for sure + it was unexpected seeing how everything else was rotton junk. Thing looks like its never been used. I've already fixed one that was worse than this so not to big of a deal, just some, love, sweat, and tears followed by bleeding and it will be good as new lol.
65 dlx Slow build
iaccy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow that was a lot of crap in there!!! It must have felt great to get it all cleaned out and stand back and admire what a difference the clean up makes Very Happy
'67 Beetle (sold) http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3289202#3289202
OG '63 Beetle http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=444566
MAYHEM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW Shocked
Nice find. Looks like it was parked while it was still in decent shape. Very original, a major plus.
Congrats and best of luck with it. Enjoy Cool

johnnypan wrote:
I digitize myself in the privacy of my own home.
6Kabrio7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow amazing I envy you..how much was it?
Nor_AL_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score one for the LA crowd, nice complete bus Cool Are you planning on keeping the og paint and blend the rust repair?
63 Type 2 Standard Walk-thru
69 Ghia
68 912

Amateur Versus Rusty Bus!
Lair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice score.

Your panel turned out great. I hope you have the time to treat the '65 the same way.

Maybe you can get some work done in between diaper changes.

Congrats on the impending fatherhood. Congrats also for marrying a woman who's willing to clean windows. That's another major score. Cool
jmw1982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome bus! great story and pictures too, glad the owner decided to sell it to ya instead of letting it rot away there any longer... Keep us updated

'60 Beetle Indigo Blue
dubtype1
Vdubn' Till I Die

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice score bro. Congrats to you and your wife, I hope the best for you both.

Caleb
'65 Beetle project
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: