Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Autostick
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Autostick Reply with quote

I have seen discussion and several topics about autosticks. Some say they're good and some say not so good. From my understanding of how the system works, there's not a whole lot of difference between stick and autostick. You still have to shift right? And that leads to my question. Is there a book that explains the autostick and how it works? Just trying to understand more about our beloved Ghias. Thanks and from my family to your, we wish you all a happy holiday.

2012 Silverado
53 FiberFab MG TD Replica (VW)

Life is hard and its harder if you're stupid.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the vwar site for how the AS works:

http://www.vwar.org/

When I owned my AS Ghia I generally did not leave the car in the high range all the time. I usually shifted through the gears. I believe this is better for the transmission - at least in certain driving conditions.

While you still need to shift it is not nearly as much as a manual car - and of course there is no clutch - very useful in traffic.

An AS car can be very enjoyable to drive - depending on the type of driving you do. I liked the one I had and would not hesitate to buy another.
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might help you too Allen:

http://www.auto-stick.com/
Ghiaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The orange Bentley Manual has a 40-page section on the
Automatic Stick Shift transmission. Description, repair and
maintenance all covered very well.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Karmann Ghia & Beetle parts available.
Convertible tops installed.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replys. I have seen the section on the autostick in my orange Bentley manual but that covers maintenance mostly and the description and how tos are lacking. I'm more interested in something like theory behind the auto sticks and their operation. I'll check those other sites over the holiday. I plan on relaxing and doing some reading while I'm up in the frozen north tundra. Smile

2012 Silverado
53 FiberFab MG TD Replica (VW)

Life is hard and its harder if you're stupid.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ghia Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one in my ghia and it is now sitting in the garage collecting dust. My parents complained that it was very lagy when taking off in the car and it would hesitate... this is either because of the carb issue or there pressure servo was not tuned correctly. The extra parts needed to run it to me were not worth it.
This will likely change tomorrow to something else.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that the AS is essentially a 3-speed manual transmission with a torque converter. They used the same gear ratios as the 2nd (2.06), 3rd (1.26), and 4th (0.89) gears in a similar year 4-speed manual transmission, but didn't have the 1st (3.80) gear ratio. Also, to make up for the lack of a 1st (3.80) gear ratio, VW spec'ed AS ghias with a lower ring & pinion than came on comparable model year MT ghias. For example, 68 - 70 AS ghias had a 4.375 R&P versus 4.125 for MT ghias of the same year and 71-74 AS ghias had a 4.125 R&P versus 3.875 for MT ghias of the same year.

Porsche used a similar system in its 911 Sportomatic of the late 1960s and early 1970s. My friend has one of those that he autocrosses at vintage Porsche events.

Last edited by sactojesse on Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total
InSaNeBoY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

torque converter *and* a clutch which is vacuum operated.

*ghialess*
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one years ago, I loved it. Starting out in low was nice and peppy, I could see that just using the 1st and second would make it feel sluggish on take-off.
zetz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 71 Ghia autostick before and it did not feel quite as peppy as my current stick version.

One weird thing I noticed - in brutally cold weather (well below freezing) my 71 autostick would sometimes stall out, with my manual it seems like I have more control and can prevent such stalls through clever use of the clutch and gears.

Two disclaimers: 1) I am a Ghia noob so my advice should be taken with a giant hunk of salt 2) You might live in LA so who cares if it's cold!

On the plus side for autosticks, they're neat. Very Happy
ddwbeagles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Auto Stick Reply with quote

zetz wrote:
I had a 71 Ghia autostick before and it did not feel quite as peppy as my current stick version.

I HAVE a 71 AS and would say that is a fair description. If given the choice between and AS and manual, I would prefer a manual trans, but there are fewer and fewer autosticks left on the road, so for an investment purpose these will probably appreciate a little faster. Anyway, as far as peppiness is concerned, the AS does somewhat limit the size of the engine you can put in it, but by today's standards....if you wanted a performance sportscar, you wouldn't be driving a Ghia anyway.

71 Ghia Coupe autostick
78 Westy
86 Vanagon Weekender

hazetguy wrote:
i'm going to stock up on search buttons
lstyles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking into an autostick for my daughter. What is the limit in engine size that can be put in it?
thanks,
Lori
volkenstein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lori,
1776 is good, or even 1835 (Nova had one IIRC) are OK. The milder the better. The A-S clutch (180mm) can take around 90Hp max at the flexplate. That is a general consensus opinion over at VWAR, not hard fact.

HTH
Volkenstein
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
nfthom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a '69 AS. I have to agree about starting in low. I used to use 1st and 2nd only and it would drag out. I think it was hard on the tranny as well. Mine works great. Now I start out in low first.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: