Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine locks up with tightening gland nut
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
desertwrx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Engine locks up with tightening gland nut Reply with quote

I have an engine I'm trying to get running and it locks up when I give the gland nut some torque. With light ft. lbs on it, it will turn over. But when I really give it some torque it locks up allowing me to turn it back and forth only a tiny bit. Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vince1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you set your endplay?

Click here for my full pix detailed 2165 engine build with beehive valvetrain.

Sorry for my poor English, I'm a French guy ... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
desertwrx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have that set up, but there was about .040 that the shims couldn't get rid of, which should be a big clue that I don't know anything about!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your endplay is still wrong, do it again.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
desertwrx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 shims that measure .027. When I add or subtract the total number of shims I still have that excessive .04 play. Could it be that there's something wrong internally?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes - you could have screwed the pooch and that endplay is the bearing now walking forwards and backwards in the case saddles but when you try to spin it the dowell stops it. To test this theory put in only 2 shims and see if it spins.

One possible way this could happen if you are just building this engine is if the thust surface width on the bearings is the wrong size for the case - the case thrust may have been cut.
fastinradford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

main seal not completely installed

"It'd still be like my grandads old broom though, original, only 3 new heads and two new handles" -Marv [UK]
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine locks up with tightening gland nut Reply with quote

desertwrx wrote:
I have an engine I'm trying to get running and it locks up when I give the gland nut some torque. With light ft. lbs on it, it will turn over. But when I really give it some torque it locks up allowing me to turn it back and forth only a tiny bit. Mad

I assume that means it's an existing engine, not a rebuild, correct? If so, it's shot... once the front bearing is rocking about, you can shim to your hearts delight to try and get the freeplay back in specs, but all you'll do is pull the crank tight against the thrust causing it to lock...

fastinradford wrote:
main seal not completely installed
Confused

GEX has. Just sayin
desertwrx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a used engine that came with the car. The PO took the engine out saying it needed rebuilding, but it ran. They stuck the engine in the car and I towed it home. It was missing the flywheel so I got one and put the shims back in. It just seems strange that it ran before I put my flywheel on this engine.
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately you are going on the PO's word that it ran... they can run with huge endplay, but they don't last...

GEX has. Just sayin
desertwrx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know for sure it ran because the brakes didn't work and the front tire were flat. He said the flat tires helped slow it down. No stop lights in our town! He had pulled the engine to rebuild it and his wife said "NO MORE PROJECTS!". I then got it.
The weird part is my flywheel with the original shims it locks up as I increase the torque on the gland nut. I end up with maybe a quarter inch rotation on the flywheel, but a nice free but very short rotation. It feels like it is hitting something solid CW or CCW direction.
I just want to get the engine so it'll run for a few days so someone can drive the car.
desertwrx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put another flywheel on it and problem fixed.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like an alignbore job waiting to come out. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
desertwrx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it'll need a total rebuild. I also have another one that I have to smash the barrels off the pistons. The PO on that one let water go down the single 44 Webber. Boy, I'm doing good!
desertwrx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got around to working on this buggy. Still has big endplay and seems to run fine. Need to clean it up and sell it (saying engine needs rebuilding).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: