Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lola: My '78 Sunroof Bus
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheShane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Lola: My '78 Sunroof Bus Reply with quote

Hello Samba,

I've been on this forum for a while and have been helped out immensely. Thank you all for that! I am a college student at the University of Kentucky and I drive my Bay daily. I'm not sure it would be in the condition it is in today (running) if it weren't for TheSamba. I'm on a winter break and I have been meaning to start a "build" thread for my Bus for a while now, seems like a perfect time to do so.

Some background info on it: My Dad bought it and drove it for about 4yrs, then it came time for me to get my license so I talked him into selling it to me. It is my first and only car, I actually took my drivers test in it, got some looks from the police officer. So I have been rolling it as my daily driver for about 5yrs. I'm 20 now.

After I graduated high school in '07, some friends convinced me to let this girl I know paint it. I agreed, I know some of you here aren't fans but its not permanent. Some days I wish it was plain again but other days I appreciate the art and the attention, makes it that much more fun to drive.

Some of you have probably seen pics I have posted in the past but I'll re-post a few on here and I'll document things as I go along. I really just wanted to get a thread started to document some of my progress and to ask a few questions as they come up.

Criticize away..I know most won't like the paint but I do keep it pretty mechanically sound and I'm not a "stoner" or a "hippie". Maybe a little hippie at heart but I don't drive it cause it's a "hippie van", I just like the VWs. I have actually had 3 other VWs but this is the only one I kept and drove.

If you guys are still reading, I'll post some pics. We all like pics.

Just before it was painted, June '07.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After a little fun in the backyard. (Stickers were just for funnies to pick on some pals)

After the paint job.

From my Photo Shoot thread.

From Replacing oil cooler seals.

Only interior pics I have at the moment. More to come.

Thanks for looking!

-Shane Pope

Central KY VW Club

NASkeet wrote:
I suppose that's what happens when one drives a passion wagon, which comes factory-fitted with a double bed.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nica
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
Nice Laughing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MalibuLX3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks awesome! Applause

Just wait till you get those dual carbs on it...
TheShane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalibuLX3 wrote:
Looks awesome! Applause

Just wait till you get those dual carbs on it...

Thank ya. I hope to document the process along with my other plans for it over break. Just waiting on the carbs...hopefully they make it here before I head home for the holiday.

Central KY VW Club

NASkeet wrote:
I suppose that's what happens when one drives a passion wagon, which comes factory-fitted with a double bed.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volksdraggin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DANG that bus is DOPE! Twisted Evil
Nica
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes im normally not too much for hippy style yet looks like the girls dig it so I change my mind in this case Cool
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWBusrepairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not enough can be said for the elusive sunroof model, I tell ya! I'd make sure to get a fan cover for your engine or who knows what all might get stuck in your cylinder fins, thus reducing the cooling efforts.

Also, get some injection and remove that carb! Laughing
TheShane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volksdraggin wrote:
DANG that bus is DOPE! Twisted Evil

Nica wrote:
Yes im normally not too much for hippy style yet looks like the girls dig it so I change my mind in this case Cool

Haha, it is a bit of a chick magnet. Very Happy

VWBusrepairman wrote:
not enough can be said for the elusive sunroof model, I tell ya! I'd make sure to get a fan cover for your engine or who knows what all might get stuck in your cylinder fins, thus reducing the cooling efforts.

Also, get some injection and remove that carb! Laughing

As a sunroof owner yourself, I'm going to have to advise against that top pic if anyone wants to sit on your roof (you probably already know this however). I didn't know they were up there until after the pic. I thought they were just standing out the roof.

I think I'm going to live on the wild side and keep that screen off. Laughing

I'm afraid she's never to see FI again. It's missing about every FI part you could miss. Including the breather box mount. It is also an A/T and I hear they have a few unique FI parts. Maybe not, idk. Plus, I ordered some Aircooled Technology tuned HPMX's. Those should be a vast improvement over the Weber Progressive.

Central KY VW Club

NASkeet wrote:
maximan1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bus, that's a cool pic with your friends.

What are your plans for it?
TheShane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maximan1 wrote:
Nice bus, that's a cool pic with your friends.

What are your plans for it?

Just to keep on keepin' on. I'm planning on doing a few mods lately and just thought I would document some of them in this thread and any of the others in the future. I've already a few: H4s, retractable seat belts, side marker lights, and probably a few more I can't think of at the moment.
I'm also using it to ask questions.

Like:
Anyone know what hard fuel line I should get and where to get it? 8mm OD copper? 5/16" brake line? I'm junking my crappy faucet and while I was at it I figured I would replace as much hose as I can with hard line. Seems like a good idea to me.

Central KY VW Club

NASkeet wrote:
TheShane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, thanks for the compliment on the pic. Thats me and the girl that painted it in the front seat and on the roof are all of my friends that talked me into letting her.

Central KY VW Club

NASkeet wrote:
maximan1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One question, where did you get the DOO WOP sticker? I like it.
TheShane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maximan1 wrote:
One question, where did you get the DOO WOP sticker? I like it.

Thanks, its from the DOO WOP Shop in Louisville and Lexington, Ky. Its a music equipment and rental shop. My dad put that sticker on there about 6 years ago. I've never actually been there, people tend to find the sticker cool though.

Central KY VW Club

NASkeet wrote:
Chazbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing there not to like!

A good bus can get you all the chicks you need.....live it up and enjoy!

nice bus....
Quadratrückseite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Lola: My '78 Sunroof Bus Reply with quote

TheShane wrote:

Only interior pics I have at the moment. More to come.

I think she did a great job on the paint job. You can always repaint it in the future if you want.

I kind of like those cupholders - did you just screw on some small pencil holder type cups?

www.gusthevwbus.com

www.eatingpeaches.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheShane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Lola: My '78 Sunroof Bus Reply with quote

Quadratrückseite wrote:
I think she did a great job on the paint job. You can always repaint it in the future if you want.

I kind of like those cupholders - did you just screw on some small pencil holder type cups?

Thanks. I did, I used two Rubbermaid pencil holders, I think they were like $2.50ea and attached them to an extra ashtray I had. Works great, It's held two full Route 44's from Sonic, I know not everyone is lucky enough to have a Sonic but that is their 44oz drink. I was impressed. Plus, I can just swap it out for the regular ashtray if I don't need it.

Central KY VW Club

NASkeet wrote:
TheShane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got pretty bored today and I can't do any real wrenching on the Bus on campus. Well...MalibuLX3 did give me a hand adjusting valves and setting timing in the parking lot once but the university tends to frown on that kind of stuff. Anyway, I piddled around with a RedBull can and made a cover for my coil. I've seen this done on ratrods and stuff before so I thought I would try. I think its kinda cool, kept me busy anyway. Tomorrow I might paint the numbering on the timing scale. Exciting right?

Pics:

If anyone knows which hard fuel line to buy and where to get it, let me know.

Central KY VW Club

NASkeet wrote:
dreadnotmusic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love project threads. Keep the pics coming.

What was the original color of the bus? I ask because in the interior pic the front cab vents are tan. Was the nose replaced?

Also, good choice on the carbs. You MUST report how they work out for you.
MalibuLX3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the red bull can, that looks pretty sweet. Did you end up finding that spacer for the timing scale, or is it still rubbing?
TheShane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreadnotmusic wrote:
What was the original color of the bus? I ask because in the interior pic the front cab vents are tan. Was the nose replaced?

Dakota Beige on top and Panama Brown on the bottom. Brand new it should have looked exactly like VWBusrepairman's display pic. As far as I can tell its the original nose. It has been painted and re-painted white several times from what I can tell. Then my multi-colored paint on top of that.

Central KY VW Club

NASkeet wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: