Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

-Install trouble- Front End Upgrade
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is it worth upgrading the Rear to Disc too?
High Priority
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
Sure why not
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
Not really needed
61%
 61%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 13

Levendi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: -Install trouble- Front End Upgrade Reply with quote

Look some advice from the forum and am going to upgrade my front end to disk breaks, and replace my rear wheel cylinders.

Got the disc, calipers and hardware in a kit. Bought the bearings in a kit, and the hoses individually.

If anyone has any input on the install, feel free to comment!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Levendi on Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
FlowerPowered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the 4-lug front disk conversion awhile back and just replaced the rear drums with 4-lug to keep the rim/tire types consistant all around. At the time I could not find a 5-lug conversion option that did not require an adapter, I have not looked recently so I don't know if straight 5-lug disks are now an option. I have heard about 70% of braking is accomplished by the front brakes, so I chose to save the expense of rear disk conversion. Our ride is a daily driver and will never win a perfection/OEM award, so I am quite satisfied with the results.
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with front discs only. They have been great for me so far.

sixty9fasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not seeing a hole in the one of the dust caps to drive the speedo cable Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it should be a pretty straight foward install. strip it doen to the spindles and bolt the new stuff on. rubber gloves are good to keep the grease off you. keep your old drums and parts. may be able to sell them if they are still good. cany use the 14 inch wheels with the disks
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of disc brakes but doon't like haviong to go to 4 lug to do it. It'd be like painting a 350 blue.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Levendi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
I like the idea of disc brakes but doon't like haviong to go to 4 lug to do it. It'd be like painting a 350 blue.

I was going to get some 4-to-5 lug adapters so i can keep it 5 lug, (even better since i'd be keeping the drum brakes in the back for now). Is there any downside to using the adapters?
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The downsides to the adapters with your setup....
They DON'T clear the calipers
--- The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
'71 Single cab (White too)
'70 Weekender (White three)
'05 Evolution VIII (White also!!!)
'68 F-250 (White over black)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Levendi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Install Trouble Reply with quote

I tired installing my disc brakes to my front end and ran into some trouble. I took the old drum off and the bearings and the old inner seal.

I bought new bearings and the kit parts up top. When i used both races on the rotor, and i tried to mount it on the spindle it wouldn't fit all the way in. Maybe the front and/or back race isn't needed?

[/img]
Levendi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Install Trouble Reply with quote

Levendi wrote:
I tired installing my disc brakes to my front end and ran into some trouble. I took the old drum off and the bearings and the old inner seal.

I bought new bearings and the kit parts up top. When i used both races on the rotor, and i tried to mount it on the spindle it wouldn't fit all the way in. Maybe the front and/or back race isn't needed?

[/img]

Ok so after posting this i just noticed there's a check mark for the "back" is there a difference between front and back wheel bearings?
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you mean inner and outer........ don't you?

There is a differance between inner and outer and in your first picture, the larger hole bearing are the inners. You could take the bearing out of the spindle and just slide it on the spindle to see if that is the problem. They are directional, tapered, but I would think you could tell that.
sendjonathanmail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I was helping him out today with the disc brake install and i'll try to better explain the trouble that we ran into.

According to the instructions that came with the kit, it says to install the races and the bearings into the new rotor and install it on the spindle. We installed the bearings and races correctly on the rotor, and it slides onto the spindle all the way and just clears the backing plate (as its supposed to). Now, what we noticed AFTERWARDS is that the bearings are meant for rear applications, not fronts, could this be the problem? The main PROBLEM we're having is that the spindle seems too short. There are no threads sticking out past the rotor to screw the nut onto, therefor theres no way to secure the rotor to the spindle.

can ANYONE shed some light on this? My specialty is 914's, and even though I work at an aircooled vw shop I havent run across this problem installing any disc brake kits. thanks for helping out myself and Nik as well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: