Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone use renewable fuels to heat their home?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I keep a fan behind it to blow air over the hot stove. We keep our thermostats in the house at 60º but with the fire going, it's anywhere from 65º in our bedroom (coldest room of the house) to 78º on the opposite side of the living room from the fire. I spend about $150 a year on trimmings from the orchards.

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heat with a renewable fuel. It is Propane. They come and refill the tank once a year. Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I screen the corn through a piece of hardware cloth.
Keeps the occasional pieces of cob and stalks out of the feed auger.

When I first read about your heater I thought you were burning pellets made from the corn cob and stocks- very interesting that you use the kernels.
How long will 5 gallons of corn kernels burn?

what our place looks like sometime during the winter
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimmy111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kernals burn a little faster than the wood pellets. They used to be cheaper than the wood pellets but with this ethanol situation the price has gone up a lot. The 2 draw backs of corn are that they produce a lot of clinker and the animals like to eat it if you are not careful. One good thing is that if you have to you can eat it too. Very Happy
In Wyoming you can get Carbon pellets that are made from reduced coal. They burn and leave very little ash. One pound produced almost twice as much heat as pellets. Cheap too.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy111 wrote:
The kernals burn a little faster than the wood pellets. They used to be cheaper than the wood pellets but with this ethanol situation the price has gone up a lot. The 2 draw backs of corn are that they produce a lot of clinker and the animals like to eat it if you are not careful. One good thing is that if you have to you can eat it too. Very Happy
In Wyoming you can get Carbon pellets that are made from reduced coal. They burn and leave very little ash. One pound produced almost twice as much heat as pellets. Cheap too.

Do not blame ethanol on corn prices. We actually have a surplus of corn here in the midwest. They have to just pile it on the ground.
My brother heats with wood pellets in his house. It has gone up also. And he lives in the PNW where they grow the wood, and have the saw mills where the pellets are made from the waste.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimmy111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you mean that the reason that corn is expensive is that in Iowa you are using it for road salt?? Very Happy
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy111 wrote:
So you mean that the reason that corn is expensive is that in Iowa you are using it for road salt?? Very Happy

Basically, corn prices are controlled by the speculators. And the farmer does not get that much for a bushel of corn. $4.35 a bushel as of market close yesterday. And out of that, he has to pay for his $100K tractor, a $150K combine/harvester, fertilizer, land @ about $2K per acre, and diesel fuel @ about $2 per gallon without road use taxes. Then he has to pay a semi to haul the grain to market with diesel fuel at $3.00 gal. with road use tax.
Looks to me like the government is making the most with their $1.00 gallon diesel tax. The farmer does pay sales tax on the diesel he uses in the field. So the government gets another 6% there.

And corn is actually pretty slick to drive on. It has oil in it.

Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
Jimmy111 wrote:

Basically, corn prices are controlled by the speculators. And the farmer does not get that much for a bushel of corn. $4.35 a bushel as of market close yesterday. And out of that, he has to pay for his $100K tractor, a $150K combine/harvester, fertilizer, land @ about $2K per acre, and diesel fuel @ about $2 per gallon without road use taxes. Then he has to pay a semi to haul the grain to market with diesel fuel at $3.00 gal. with road use tax.
Looks to me like the government is making the most with their $1.00 gallon diesel tax. The farmer does pay sales tax on the diesel he uses in the field. So the government gets another 6% there.

And corn is actually pretty slick to drive on. It has oil in it.

And then the farmer collects his farm subsidy from the US Government for growing more corn and writes off anything else on his taxes as a business loss.
The Sage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is time to revisit subsidizing corn and soy if we have that much left over...
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary wrote:

And then the farmer collects his farm subsidy from the US Government for growing more corn and writes off anything else on his taxes as a business loss.

Not many Iowa farmers get much in the way of subsidies. Most of the land that was in set aside programs has expired and gone back into production.
Dairy farmers may get a subsidy.
The Ethanol subsidies go to the refiners, not the farmer. And a few of those have still gone bankrupt recently.
And the government is not bailing them out like they did GM and Chrysler.
BTW, I can remember burning corn to heat the house when I was a kid, but we just did it in the coal stove. Corn was worth less than coal, and that is all we could afford.

Jimmy111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to point it out. Iowa recieved more than 1.2 billion in 2008 in subsidies.... Thats a lot of money to get just to throw the product on the ground. It will be much more in 2009 due to the higher price and demand of corn.

Here in Wyoming, coal is dirt cheap... you can get it for free if you really want to go and pick it up. Wanna trade? Very Happy

Last edited by Jimmy111 on Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iowa Corn Subsidies
Bart Dunn
Samba Consiglieri

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sage wrote:
I think it is time to revisit subsidizing corn and soy if we have that much left over...

But then where do we get high fructose CORN syrup? That shit is in everything. The food chain would fall apart.
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary wrote:
Iowa Corn Subsidies
$10,788,351,071 is quite a bit of money when "not many Iowa farmers get much in the way of subsidies."

A couple more statistic from the same site:
• $16.0 billion in subsidies 1995-2006.
• Iowa ranking: 2 of 50

FU#3
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchback wrote:
Gary wrote:
Iowa Corn Subsidies
$10,788,351,071 is quite a bit of money when "not many Iowa farmers get much in the way of subsidies."

A couple more statistic from the same site:
• $16.0 billion in subsidies 1995-2006.
• Iowa ranking: 2 of 50

If you go to that list and click on the break down of who got that money, it was the the corperate farms, not the small farmer like my neighbor that farms less than 1000 acres and most of that is rented ground.

Also, the coal and oil industries got $72 Billion in subsidies while the rest of us got $29 billion.

http://news.mongabay.com/2009/0921-hance_subsidies.html

Jimmy111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course its the corporate farms. They know where to apply and have the lawyers to do the paperwork for them.

Most agricultural subsidies are in the form of cash payments on top of production.

On the other hand most oil and coal subsidies or either Tax breaks or discounts on either govermental royalities or lease of goverment lands for production.

Subsidies for oil are to keep the price of it down. Subsidies for Agriculture are to keep the prices up.. Big difference.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

define Renewable. Once it burns does it come back and refills itself?
turboblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da TOW'D wrote:
When I first read about your heater I thought you were burning pellets made from the corn cob and stocks- very interesting that you use the kernels.
How long will 5 gallons of corn kernels burn?

What our place looks like sometime during the winter

Depends on the setting.
I can set the feed rate from 1 to 5.
It's about 10° here right now and I have it on 3.
That keeps my house 72° and will burn about a bushel of corn a day.
Roughly 56 lbs.
Current price is $3.65 per bushel.
$110 a month if it says this cold.

Jimmy111 wrote:

No clinker issues here, my furnace is not like a corn stove.
It has a fuel stirrer rod that rotates occasionally to keep the corn lit.
It burns in a draft induced firepot so it does put off a lot of heat.
If I try to run it at a reduced setting, it will build up a coating on the fuel stirrer rod.
I have 2 so I shut it down and swap out the rods.
The coating falls right off when the rod cools.
No issues when burning straight wood pellets.

As mentioned corn is roughly 6.5 cents a lb and for me wood pellets is about 12 cents.

Corn burns about 20-25% hotter than the pellets too.

Turbo VW Sand Drag Buggy

"If you don't run into the Devil every once in awhile, you must be going in the same direction!"
Sambafraser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oorwullie wrote:
yeh, we burn rabbits. Cool

No I think the Swedes are doing that.
Shot, frozen then ground up and used to heat homes Wink
Don't believe me clickitty de click
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8309156.stm
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchback wrote:

I keep a fan behind it to blow air over the hot stove. We keep our thermostats in the house at 60º but with the fire going, it's anywhere from 65º in our bedroom (coldest room of the house) to 78º on the opposite side of the living room from the fire. I spend about $150 a year on trimmings from the orchards.

Small people different from you are not a renewable resource.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: