Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone use renewable fuels to heat their home?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank Goodness! some people shouldn't be!('Laughing')
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use renewable fuels to heat their home? Reply with quote

Kicking this backup,,,My New Neighbors heating bill (Propane)was $900 last month Shocked we installed a wood furnace yesterday Very Happy Their gas furnace never kicked back on Wink Laughing Even if they Buy the wood it we be cheaper then propane. now They need to learn how to 'feed the stove' Cheers,Mike
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use renewable fuels to heat their home? Reply with quote

have a jotul woodstove stuck in a fireplace.

been buying and scavenging

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

^^ normally don't transport wood with bus tho

enjoy splitting by hand. Cut up a dead black birch on my property , very nice wood, also got some black locust from a neighbor

heated with firewood growing up and was glad to take a break from it but finding it pretty good way to heat house and keep active.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use renewable fuels to heat their home? Reply with quote

I've hauled wood to Hunting Camp with my Bus too,, Jotul is a fine stove Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use renewable fuels to heat their home? Reply with quote

Anyone use a heat pump?

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use renewable fuels to heat their home? Reply with quote

I put one in my shop this winter, although it's a little easier on the electric bill than the electric baseboards it still costs $3-$6 bucks a day to run on colder days, add some serious arctic wind and it jumps to $10.
I still build a fire in the wood stove whenever I can, that cuts the bill down to $0.

I am looking forward to cooling things off on crazy hot days this summer though, regardless of cost. Razz

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use renewable fuels to heat their home? Reply with quote

I installed an Air to Air mini split heat pump and have not needed to build a wood fire in our basement furnace.
Going on 2 years we love it. Before installing the HP we burnt 6 cords of wood a year.
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone use renewable fuels to heat their home? Reply with quote

Mine is a Mitsubishi mini split. Got it 12 years ago. My main heat is oil forced air. Only when outside temps get below 15°F I go to the furnace. At temps above that it heats my entire 2 story home. Electric bills are about 30% higher December - March. But the extra I pay for those months is still less than a tank of fuel oil. It air conditions as well as heats and will freeze you out.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.

Last edited by BIGMIKEY on Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone use renewable fuels to heat their home? Reply with quote

wow, old thread

I never did do the outside wood boiler. House is efficient enough it just didn't make sense.

Average year we usually do 1 330 oil tank (they only fill it to about 300/310 gal or so) for heat and hot water.

Worst year to date has been about a tank and 3/4. FWIW the house is about 2,800 sqft

I have to say after living in a house built in the 30's (although gutted and renovated before I bought it) I don't think I'll ever go back to living in an old house again, or one that hasn't been built with spray foam insulation.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone use renewable fuels to heat their home? Reply with quote

We have a natural gas boiler that heats the whole house. I also installed a coal and wood stove in the basement and if I use it religiously it will cut our heat bill in half. We burn about 3000 to 4000 pounds of wood per winter. Mostly we burn local poplar and some Manitoba maple which is all that grows here. I also burn a bit of coal at night. just a small shove full so that there are hot coals to restart the fire in the morning.

I have a home made barrel stove in the garage/work shop that I used in the past but it is very hungry, took an hour to make the garage comfortable and most of my time was taken up tending the stove. This fall I tied the garage pad into the boiler in the hose (I poured the PEX into the floor years ago) and the difference is amazing! Before even with the barrel stove going and the air temp at 75 - 80*F you were cold from the knees down. Then if you had to work under the car you were laying on a - 30* concrete pad! Now I use about 1/4 of the wood in the barrel stove just to top up the temperature in the garage.

The problem now is that the natural gas fuel bill almost doubled! When I am working in the garage all day the fire in the house goes out. I need to build a heat exchanger into the barrel stove that will transfer heat into the house when I am in the garage.

I have yet to buy wood, all the local farmers here are happy to have me clean up the dead wood on their property. Coal here used to be $38 a ton and that much would do us 4 winters. I am almost out of is so we will see how much it has gone up now with all the new taxes!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone use renewable fuels to heat their home? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
This fall I tied the garage pad into the boiler in the hose (I poured the PEX into the floor years ago) and the difference is amazing! Before even with the barrel stove going and the air temp at 75 - 80*F you were cold from the knees down.

radiant heat is kind of trippy, and no real good way to throttle it back

I worked in a shop with it. Pro's were everything was warm, tools, tool box etc as everything essentially becomes a radiator. Cons were your feet would sweat like you were laying asphalt in August after about an hour.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone use renewable fuels to heat their home? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
oprn wrote:
This fall I tied the garage pad into the boiler in the hose (I poured the PEX into the floor years ago) and the difference is amazing! Before even with the barrel stove going and the air temp at 75 - 80*F you were cold from the knees down.

I worked in a shop with it. Pro's were everything was warm, tools, tool box etc as everything essentially becomes a radiator. Cons were your feet would sweat like you were laying asphalt in August after about an hour.

Move to California. Then, all you have to deal with is the rain... Razz
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone use renewable fuels to heat their home? Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:

um, no

2/3 of my personal belongings would be illegal in CA.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone use renewable fuels to heat their home? Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:

um, no

2/3 of my personal belongings would be illegal in CA.

No problem skills. You just need to put a label on stuff and poof! It’s legal. Labels make it all safe. Laughing Laughing

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use renewable fuels to heat their home? Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
oprn wrote:

Nope! California seems to be where all the stupidest ideas in the world are born and propagate! Nothing against the majority of the people, just the decision makers seem to be devoid of common sense.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone use renewable fuels to heat their home? Reply with quote

So true!

Southern California thinks you call a. Restaurant when go Out to eat, In and out,

Meanwhile, in Northern California, some idiot put a phone, music player , and browser and crammed them into one device.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use renewable fuels to heat their home? Reply with quote

iamdonquixote wrote:
have a jotul woodstove stuck in a fireplace.

been buying and scavenging

^^ normally don't transport wood with bus tho

enjoy splitting by hand. Cut up a dead black birch on my property , very nice wood, also got some black locust from a neighbor

heated with firewood growing up and was glad to take a break from it but finding it pretty good way to heat house and keep active.

black locust is hard as hell, sparks when you cut it.
old timers used it for fence posts " lasts three years longer than stone"

Last edited by calvinater on Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use renewable fuels to heat their home? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
So true!

Southern California thinks you call a. Restaurant when go Out to eat, In and out,

Meanwhile, in Northern California, some idiot put a phone, music player , and browser and crammed them into one device.

Hey, bag on NorCal all you want (we do) but do not bag on In-N-Out. It's what a hamburger is all about!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use renewable fuels to heat their home? Reply with quote

Funny thing is I have been eating hamburgers for over 60 years, never heard of an "IN and OUT". Is that the burger joints you get diarrhea at? Their burgers go through you like greased lightning? Shocked

Had 3 teenage grandsons over last week so I took advantage of the energy to dig the wood splitter out of the 5' snow drift. Then we split up a couple cords of wood for next winter.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use renewable fuels to heat their home? Reply with quote

Thumbs Up
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: