Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

59 panel van conversion to 15 window deluxe
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
themetalsurgeon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My attention to detail is in my 'metal work' and what the customer wants.

Is that so wrong Ovalteen?afterall he is paying the bill and your not.he doesn't want to trick or fool anyone its a keeper for himself and what he wants in the bus.

Its not a question of right or wrong
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
themetalsurgeon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

now for the corner windows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blackdog1999 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the job looks great. Keep up the good work.
themetalsurgeon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks boss!
oring71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some nice clean work you are doing.

Keep it up and keep the pics comeing please.
Andy P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this thread.
I kew the metal work would be good.
I've seen metalsurgeon's work before.
But talk about vintage nazis! Laughing
Personally I probably wouldn't do it but at least it's being done right.
I saw a poor old panel and some butcher had hacked the corner out and installed Commer van windows. Mad
This looks like being a really nice Bus.
Keep up with the good work, metalsurgeon! Wink

'62 Beetle

Jägdwagen
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont worry about the purists here. Every body has an opinion. Your metal work and attention to detail is outstanding. Please keep the photos coming. Everybody can learn from your experience and talents. Very Happy
Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't buy it...BUILD IT!
65Nsqback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yustrn wrote:
If you can't buy it...BUILD IT!

x2

I'm Trying to help you.......but you don't hear me...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kasper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: nice work! Reply with quote

Killer work! Keep the pics coming and piss on the purist!
Like I tell my kids "If you don't have anything good to say............then SHUT IT!"
tstracy39
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet. If it were my Bus I'd leave it w/o any Deluxe trim and install a walkthrough clip as long as I'm doing all that welding anyway. I'm sure it'll look killer when you're finished.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=tstracy39

EverettB wrote:
I like your fork.
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
Dont worry about the purists here. Every body has an opinion. Your metal work and attention to detail is outstanding. Please keep the photos coming. Everybody can learn from your experience and talents. Very Happy

I agree completely with the above, however, being one of the higher profile full mutilations to come along in awhile, some of us reel. Characterizing the personality change in the bus -for some of us- may be the hardest part to get over, thus, simply observing the project as study of incredible procedure is difficult. This said, the welder is obviously both very experienced and ingenious, so it's pretty clear it will end up looking measurably better than Chip Foose's artistry. I'm very impressed -in sort of a sick way- but definitely impressed. Currently the most interesting thread right now. Here's a little something for the "new" bus... Laughing

Link
Lohe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: 59 panel van conversion to 15 window deluxe Reply with quote

metalsurgeon wrote:
ok in reference to the top third beltline cut; i always join the seems as close to a break line as possible,helps support the weld ,and certainly easier to metal finish.hope this helps explains.
Yes thank you; I have to fix the hackjob someone else did on my panel, I wish they had 1/4 your metalworking skill, I would have left it in place, but it's horrible.
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slick work. I've only dared try a few panel replacements in the past and currently. I can say hands down that it is a difficult job that is part talent and part artistry.

Either way, nice work.

NAES
SBS #00
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
completely finished to the quality level shown so far who would care. it looks like a quality job done really clean.

Quote:
thanks for your support.id like to add the guy has owned this bus since 1994 and paid $500 for it!.He has absolutely no intention of selling it.His children love it and play in it all the time.He s in it for his own pleasure ,afterall hes had it well over 10 yrs and fancied a change....so he said what the hell i want a 15 window now!.....maybe 23 in another 10 yrs time!!

i agree with both statements. please continue to show how work is being done.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
themetalsurgeon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: 59 panel van conversion to 15 window deluxe Reply with quote

ok folks here's where we take it up a notch and stir the melting pot of the purist and alike.

here you see an example of your finest OG metal ! included in the price i was lucky enough not only to get rust,but also an extra double helping of rot.
Now to be fair this is understandable,why would you cut a perfectly good corner window out of a perfectly good deluxe,unless its fallen to unfortunate circumstances ie.road accident.
So this is the choice on the market to date.The pieces are really beyond repair as the material is tired and rotten.It would be like welding Weetabix (a very crumbly breakfast cereal).

So where do we go from here????

www.themetalsurgeon.com

1953 PreA 356 Porsche concours quality for sale.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392073&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

www.themetalsurgeon.com .....know whats under your paint.....

....its not where you're from,its where you're at ....
Quote. Ian Brown(Stone Roses)
slow36hp
scott wimberley

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: 59 panel van conversion to 15 window deluxe Reply with quote

metalsurgeon wrote:

ok folks here's where we take it up a notch and stir the melting pot of the purist and alike.

here you see an example of your finest OG metal ! included in the price i was lucky enough not only to get rust,but also an extra double helping of rot.
Now to be fair this is understandable,why would you cut a perfectly good corner window out of a perfectly good deluxe,unless its fallen to unfortunate circumstances ie.road accident.
So this is the choice on the market to date.The pieces are really beyond repair as the material is tired and rotten.It would be like welding Weetabix (a very crumbly breakfast cereal).

HAMB should have known
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=426468&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
1957 dd kombi
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=186478&highlight=
themetalsurgeon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: 59 panel van conversion to 15 window deluxe Reply with quote

slow36hp wrote:
metalsurgeon wrote:

HAMB should have known

Easy tiger im a VW man at heart and have an early bus myself here,as i did when i lived in England,57 oval ,59 sedan and 59 kombi.

Metal is metal to me whatever you work on.

www.themetalsurgeon.com

1953 PreA 356 Porsche concours quality for sale.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392073&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

www.themetalsurgeon.com .....know whats under your paint.....

....its not where you're from,its where you're at ....
Quote. Ian Brown(Stone Roses)
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: 59 panel van conversion to 15 window deluxe Reply with quote

Did whoever sold you those sections at least give you the courtesy of a reach-around?

metalsurgeon wrote:

1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
slow36hp
scott wimberley

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't misunderstand the remark it was more in relation to the quality of the work. i lurk the hamb as many others here do too.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=426468&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
1957 dd kombi
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=186478&highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 15

Jump to: