Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Daily broke down today. Out of gas? Smoke from dash? *Fixed*
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheShane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Daily broke down today. Out of gas? Smoke from dash? *Fixed* Reply with quote

You can only say so much in a title.

Bus:
1978 Automatic, Progressive carb, 2000cc

I'm just got home today for the holidays, a little late I know. I was planning on doing "fun stuff" that I wanted to do to my Bus (install my new dual carbs) over my holiday break but now I have some bigger issues I'm afraid. Anyway...order of events...

Bus is my daily driver, I filled up then drove it about 110 miles this morning from college to my house. Ran fine.

Got bored and removed my Heat booster fan and tubes ten plugged the holes in preparation for the dual carbs I was supposed to install tomorrow.

Got in it later in the day to go to a family Christmas party.

Get about two miles from my house and then I start to feel a buck like I'm running out of gas. Bucking intervals increase and I find a good spot to pull off.

She dies and I roll to a stop where I put it in park and attempt to shut the key off.

Key wont shut off, try the key several more times and no luck. To save my Pertronix I run to the back and disconnect the battery.

Call my pops for help and he runs out for gas while I try the key some more. Still couldn't get the key out. He returns with gas and I pour it in.

Pull the plastic wiring "socket" from the bottom of the key switch, re-connect the battery and start jumping wires in the plastic socket until the starter cranks.

She fires and I let it idle then I try to head back home because I never could get the key out of the switch. I put it in reverse and she dies, shitty progressive carb and cold weather..it happens sometime.

I try to hot wire it again and the starter just kinda clicks and doesn't crank, I try that about 6 more times and then smoke starts coming from the dash.

Immediately stop hot wiring and run to back and yank off battery cable and grab extinguisher but luckily it must have just scorched some wires and nothing actually caught on fire.

My dad and I get his Suburban and a trailer and tow my Bus on home.

I ride with parents to the Christmas party...two hours late.

Just returned..its dark outside and I will check the damage tomorrow.

FIN

Sorry for the length but I know it helps you guys to know the details.

What could have caused this?
What do I do now? My key is still stuck in the ignition.
Certain wires I can look for to be burnt?
Can I rebuild my original key switch? The switch that is stuck is a cheap China one from the PO.
Any advice your willing to offer is appreciated.

Thanks,
Shane

Central KY VW Club

NASkeet wrote:
I suppose that's what happens when one drives a passion wagon, which comes factory-fitted with a double bed.

Last edited by TheShane on Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:11 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheShane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to Change the Ignition Switch on a '78 VW Bus. By Brad Clausen

http://www.ratwell.com/mirror/bclausen/How_to_files/IgnSw/index.html

Getting the switch out shouldn't be a problem with those instructions. But I still don't know what caused the smoke.

Central KY VW Club

NASkeet wrote:
I suppose that's what happens when one drives a passion wagon, which comes factory-fitted with a double bed.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TreeHugger63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheShane wrote:
How to Change the Ignition Switch on a '78 VW Bus. By Brad Clausen

http://www.ratwell.com/mirror/bclausen/How_to_files/IgnSw/index.html

Getting the switch out shouldn't be a problem with those instructions. But I still don't know what caused the smoke.

Hey Shane,

I have no idea about a fix but, I like your name. Did you get the idea from Charlie's Angels? I wish I could help. I'm surprised no one has chimed in yet. Your not that far away from here. Do you go to UK or Moorehead? Good Luck with those wires.

L8tr, TH

***Ignorance is curable - Stupidity is forever***

maximan1 wrote:
Ever heard the saying "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: My daily broke down today. Out of gas? Smoke from dash? Reply with quote

that's a tall order @ 1am...

my first guess is that you knocked something electric around when removing the fan.
so look around in the engine compartment for something amiss.

there is the outside possibility that you somehow inexplicably and simultaneously ran out of gas & then your ignition key decided to crap out.
stranger things have happened...

since you obviously have the electric portion of the switch exposed try working it with a screw driver after you recharge your battery--it sounds like it's dead now. don't do any more 'hot wiring' until you understand the wiring a little better. hopefully you didn't toast a wire too bad...check your fuses. and if you've developed some type of 'mystery short' you'll have to find & replace the wire you just burned.

at this point i'd just get a new electric portion for the ign switch--you should find the source of the smoke when replacing it--and roll it with a screw driver
**just for now** and go ahead with the dual carb install. you'll need to expand your install to include: testing the fuel pump (with a gauge please) & replace all fuel line, filter & the strainer in the tank.

then if you have any time left in your week:
supposedly the late ignition switches are easier to do than the earlys.
i'm more familiar with the 68-73 housings Wink
TheShane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TH,
Thanks, I got the name for the Bus from a Kinks song about a cross dresser. Somehow it seemed suiting for a bus. I'm at UK, junior this year. You guys have any VW shows up your way?

borninabus,

Yeah, I posted that a little late. I was trying to get ideas for this morning, I'm about to head out and get started.

First thing on list will be check engine compartment, everything should check out.
The only thing I touched was the wires going to the booster fan and I was sure to cover the exposed ends and secure them.

I guess stranger things have happened but this would indeed be very odd.

I'll check the battery for charge, I hope it is dead and that will explain the starter clicking but not cranking. The battery never slow cranked though so I'm fearing I have started probs of something related.

Does it look like this would work? http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=171905865&refer=shoppingcart I'll order today if so, hopefully it would be on back order.

I'm waiting on a new fuel pump actually, Its from the Type4 Store. Regulated at 3.5 psi. My facet style has never given me trouble but I heard the rotary pumps were more consistent.

Thank you for a reply, I'll head out right now.

Shane

Ahh yeah...I thought about it and double checked my mileage. I had 122 miles on that tank and I'm pretty sure it ran out of gas. That would be like 8mpg! When 12mpg is normal for winter city driving I guess 8mpg isn't insane but I'll be shocked if I'm getting 8mpg. I'll check for blockage in the filter and tank if I take it out.

Central KY VW Club

NASkeet wrote:
TheShane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuses look good:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Behind the fuses...not so good:

Closer but still blurry pic of burnt wire:

This wire was attached to the bottom spade of the #12 fuse. Any idea what is/was?
I have no idea if it was originally black or if its black from the scorch.
Why would it have burnt while hot wiring?
Could it just have contacted something wrong because I was moving wires around while hot wiring?

I have a Bently but the diagrams look crazy to me. I'm still trying to decipher them. I'm going to head back out to see how far the wire melted, hopefully not very but with my luck it is probably burnt the whole length.

Thanks.

Central KY VW Club

NASkeet wrote:
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your best bet on the wiring is to try to trace the wire & see where it goes.
also, use an earlier T4 wiring diagram as they are very similar but are the easier to read style:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/baybus_71a.jpg

it looks like the 'black wire' is switched power.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it was born black to me.
That will either be the wire from the ignition switch or the one to the booster fan relay and then coil in the back, you'll have to trace it to see which way it goes. Looks like it's coming up out of the harness to the rear though.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
TheShane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for looking that up borninabus.

busdaddy wrote:
Looks like it was born black to me.
That will either be the wire from the ignition switch or the one to the booster fan relay and then coil in the back, you'll have to trace it to see which way it goes. Looks like it's coming up out of the harness to the rear though.

It is coming from the rear. I'll try and trace it right now.

I disconnected the booster fan yesterday. What could I have done? Broke a wire somewhere? The only wire left connected after the fan removal is a green and black wire and it is going to the coil.

To the Bus cave. I'll report back in a few.

Central KY VW Club

NASkeet wrote:
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The black wire just stops by the booster fan on it's way to the coil, my guess is it's touching something where you disconnected it from the fan.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
TheShane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
The black wire just stops by the booster fan on it's way to the coil, my guess is it's touching something where you disconnected it from the fan.

Man, you're good. Scorched wire in the engine compartment. Seems as though my tape wasn't secure enough. I was out of heat shrink...should have just ran out and got some or did a better job with the tape. Lesson learned.

Now. How important is this wire? I'm no longer going to run a booster fan. It has a propane heater that does pretty well and all of the factory heat stuff is gone except the boxes.

Thanks a ton BD.

Central KY VW Club

NASkeet wrote:
TheShane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, green+black striped wire goes to the oil pressure sender and the solid black wire swings by the booster fan and then to the coil as BD said. I'll repair these two and things should be back to normal. Hopefully I didn't fry my coil or something else during all of this.

Central KY VW Club

NASkeet wrote:
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How important? Well you found out last night that the engine won't run without it. It doesn't need to connect to the booster fan but it has to go to the coil to supply it and the FI system with power.

Being cooked like that I'd run another wire between the fuse box and coil, taped or zip tied to the outside of the harness would do. Hopefully it didn't melt into any other wires when it fried, you'll find out soon enough if all your signals, brake lights, running lights and warning lights still function properly.

Слава Україні!
TheShane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess "How important?" was kind of a dumb question.

The Bus is up and running, thank for all of the help.

The key is still stuck in the ignition however. I found the OG key switch in a box in our garage from when my dad replaced the original switch with a Brazilian one when he was driving the bus. I connected the white plastic part to the key switch wiring harness and it will start with a screwdriver.

I have searched this in the past and found what I'm looking for but now I cant find it. Is there a thread or link on rebuilding your key switch?
I remember something about drilling a tiny hole and installing a screw or something.

I would like to use the original key switch so I only need one key but my dad replaced it because it wasn't working.

Or is this near impossible and I should just send it to someone like Gabe (I think that is his name) and have them fix it?

Also if anyone knows how to connect a brake booster to dual carbs that would be awesome. I'm about to replace my Progressive with HPMXs and I know I need a port but where do I drill it? #3 manifold? #3 and #1 manifolds and "T" together? All four manifolds and "T" together?

Central KY VW Club

NASkeet wrote:
TreeHugger63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheShane wrote:
TH,
Thanks, I got the name for the Bus from a Kinks song about a cross dresser. Somehow it seemed suiting for a bus. I'm at UK, junior this year. You guys have any VW shows up your way?

Shane,

You call your bus 'TheShane'? I thought because your name is Shane you were copying 'The Todd' from Charlies Angels. I've heard the Kinks song 'Lola', but I've never heard 'The Shane'. Or is your bus named 'Lola'? <<< I'm betting.

UK is cool. Whats your major? You ever get out to Cave Run with the Rainbows(Not the pink triangle kind)? Cumberland valley family are cool. If not check around. If you like to camp out and hike, listen to drums, and share hugs; you'll fit right in. Lots o hippies in da woods.

As far as VW shows I don't know of any but, I would love to find out. If you hear anything let me know. Check with the OVT club(Ohio Valley Tribe). Here: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ohiovalleytribe/
They are in KY,OH,IN,IL,WV, AND PA.

You could pm some locals on the samba members map on frapper. I have dialup so, it just spazzes back and forth on me. I only know one guy on here thats local and he's from Ashland. I'll pm him and see if he knows anything on shows nearby.

Glad you finally got some great info from the fix, lots of kind people on here are willing to help. Glad to here you are up and running. Good Luck with school and Happy New Year!

TH

***Ignorance is curable - Stupidity is forever***

maximan1 wrote:
Ever heard the saying "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheShane wrote:
I
The key is still stuck in the ignition however. I found the OG key switch in a box in our garage from when my dad replaced the original switch with a Brazilian one when he was driving the bus.

Try removing the plastic component from the ignition lock cylinder installed on the bus, the key may come out then, infact you could install your spare switch into the lock and call it done. The short likely cooked the cheapo Chinese switch internally and won't let it return to off.

As for your brake booster connections do a search, but most only need a fitting tapped into one manifold. A line connecting both manifolds and a tee is much better though.

Слава Україні!
TheShane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TH,

Quote:
You call your bus 'TheShane'? I thought because your name is Shane you were copying 'The Todd' from Charlies Angels. I've heard the Kinks song 'Lola', but I've never heard 'The Shane'. Or is your bus named 'Lola'? <<< I'm betting.

Guess I was confused, haha. I've used "TheShane" as a screen name for a while and I just went ahead and used it as my Samba name. But yes, the Bus is named Lola. I just realized that I didn't mention my Bus had a name in this thread.
Quote:
UK is cool. Whats your major? You ever get out to Cave Run with the Rainbows(Not the pink triangle kind)? Cumberland valley family are cool. If not check around. If you like to camp out and hike, listen to drums, and share hugs; you'll fit right in. Lots o hippies in da woods.

Thanks. I'm majoring in Business Management, I like it so far. I have never been to Cave Run but it might be fun to see the Rainbows, I think my parents have been to see what all of the fuss was about. I might make a weekend out of it sometime.
Quote:
As far as VW shows I don't know of any but, I would love to find out. If you hear anything let me know. Check with the OVT club(Ohio Valley Tribe). Here: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ohiovalleytribe/
They are in KY,OH,IN,IL,WV, AND PA.

There is one called the Central Ky VW club, they are more in South Central KY, I attended one of their shows a couple of months ago. It was the first one they have hosted and they had a good crowd.
Quote:
You could pm some locals on the samba members map on frapper. I have dialup so, it just spazzes back and forth on me. I only know one guy on here thats local and he's from Ashland. I'll pm him and see if he knows anything on shows nearby.

Frapper doesn't work well for me either. It shows that I'm the only one in Ky when I look at it.
Quote:
Glad you finally got some great info from the fix, lots of kind people on here are willing to help. Glad to here you are up and running. Good Luck with school and Happy New Year!

Me too, TheSamba is a great tool to have. Happy New Year to you as well.

-Shane

Central KY VW Club

NASkeet wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: