Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Running Stereo off the Aux. Battery
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hoipolloi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Running Stereo off the Aux. Battery Reply with quote

So, I am fed up having to have my engine either on or in the 'start' mode to listen to my Van's stero when I am just hanging out. I had the idea to rig my stereo up to my Aux. Battery and install an on/off toggel switch to the stereo so that it could be powered by the Aux when the car is off.

What are some thoughts on this idea? Have any of you done anything like this to fix the stereo problem??
HBSURFDAD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you NOT do this? I have mine off the house battery with the main battery fuse removed so I can switch back and forth, but I don't ever know why I would switch back.
87 Wolfsberg Westy Weekender (automatic)
Rolling on 16's
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the aux for the stereo is the best way to go though I don't see a need for a toggle switch -- just make the unit always powered and remember to shut it off when not in use.

As an alternative, I seem to recall a thread suggesting the stereo could be powered by the 'remove key' circuit which would then only require the key be inserted to power it up.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My stereo runs without any key in the switch. I have to remember to turn it off when I'm walking away. As I understand it the modern stereos not played overly loud draw little.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Of the north
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE, mine works the same as yours.
The dog likes me to leave it on when I run into the grocery store. She likes talk radio mostly, sometimes some jazz.
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
Using the aux for the stereo is the best way to go though I don't see a need for a toggle switch -- just make the unit always powered and remember to shut it off when not in use.

As an alternative, I seem to recall a thread suggesting the stereo could be powered by the 'remove key' circuit which would then only require the key be inserted to power it up.

I did this on an old van of mine. Just ran the power wire to a spot where the old door chime buzzer used to be. It's easy to find which one is right with a test light.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: