Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Filler Extension for Propane Tank?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scary Mc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Filler Extension for Propane Tank? Reply with quote

I have a new propane tank under my van and it's apparently a real bugger to fill. The propane folks always have a really hard time getting their hose onto the tanks threads.
Does anyone else have this problem? Is there any sort of extension that might make it easier?

-Thanks for your time
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always hated Vanagons and Bays back when I filled propane tanks until we got an extension like that from the local AmeriGas supplier (they filled the *big* tanks at our station). Before that I had to lay on the ground to get the hose connected. Didn't hate it because of laying on the ground, but because of the redwood duff all over the place from the tree shading the fill station. That crap always got caught in my hair, made me look like some stinkfoot hippie instead of a proper metalhead.

j8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:

That's pretty much what I'd like to make / buy for the van. Looks like a fill adapter attached to pipe and ending in a fill valve?

Between that and pointing out the overfill valve on the right, and we'd be gold for the attendants who scratch their heads and/or otherwise suffer the angle.

-Julia
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j8 wrote:

That's pretty much what I'd like to make / buy for the van. Looks like a fill adapter attached to pipe and ending in a fill valve?

Me too! The "oversized" lady at my local Chevron was glad the tank was already full. Details on how to make or where to buy an extension would be greatly appreciated!
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is a straight extension any easier to screw on to the tank fitting than the filler hose itself? Money down the drain, and one extra piece of junk to clutter up the van.

Sort of like buying a 30 dollar extender for the back hatch, when a 3/8 inch turnbuckle will do the job just as well. People buy all sorts of overpriced junk I guess.

There is more than enough room to make the connection, it just takes a little patience. With practice, the filler will go on just as easily as any extender will.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BushChicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noganav wrote:
Sort of like buying a 30 dollar extender for the back hatch, when a 3/8 inch turnbuckle will do the job just as well.

Pictures please!!!
noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to hijack, check out this thread.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=184099
j8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noganav wrote:
How is a straight extension any easier to screw on to the tank fitting than the filler hose itself? Money down the drain, and one extra piece of junk to clutter up the van.

Sort of like buying a 30 dollar extender for the back hatch, when a 3/8 inch turnbuckle will do the job just as well. People buy all sorts of overpriced junk I guess.

There is more than enough room to make the connection, it just takes a little patience. With practice, the filler will go on just as easily as any extender will.

You have a few good points, noganav. I've also tried the patience and easy-going step-by-step route with a few attendants to drive away with no fill. A couple of them even said an extender would have made it easier, because the connectors in Minnesota (dunno if they're the same in your area) have a huge sleeve that just fits between that skid plate for the regulator and the tank, and the hard-to-register angle means the attendant really has to get on the ground. Maybe it is code or maybe it is preconceptions, but I have yet to experience someone who will let me as a customer thread the connector on the van. That's a shame, because I can probably do it in half the time with 1/8th the frustration I've seen some of these folks display.

It is one thing to find places around town that won't fill (one guy actually told me he'd do it if I drove up on ramps to make it easier for him!) because that's no big deal, I can talk with someone else there or can skip on giving them my business. It's bad business on their part, but everyone's got a right to run their business as they see fit. For Whatever It's Worth I found a great spot in the neighborhood who are aces at it. They're close by and we enjoy shootin' the breeze if they have time, which is pretty much perfect.

It may be another issue elsewhere, or in a remote spot when it would really bum me out to miss out on the good LPG. So I'm kicking around crafting myself a piece of peace-of-mind insurance, in the good ol' westy owner tradition.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just put some bigger springs and 16'' tires then you and stroll right under the van and so can the tank filler.

maybe.....just maybe...if they would lay off the jelly doughnuts and he/she would be able to bend over and fill it.
j8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplepeopleeater wrote:
Just put some bigger springs and 16'' tires then you and stroll right under the van and so can the tank filler.

Clearly, the justification I've been looking for and couldn't speak! Laughing
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j8 wrote:
purplepeopleeater wrote:

Clearly, the justification I've been looking for and couldn't speak! Laughing

Worked for me!
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a better idea if you don't want to be carrying aroud more junk.

Load the van with two 2' long 4x4's and drive the left hand side of the van up onto them.
It'll lift the propane tank up off the ground high enough to get to the fill valve easier---
The 4x4's are a cheap solution too--

Another problem solved.
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno if an extension would help... It's an angle problem, the attendant doesn't thread the fitting on straight. I usually bend down and tell the attendant to move it up/down and then it threads right on.
noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The solution is to have a little patience and thread the propane filler on to the tank fitting.

If someone wants to pay for an expensive fitting to thread on first that's great, but its no easier than the filler to get on there, so what is the point? You've still got to thread something on to that fitting, no way around that.

I guess the person selling them makes a few bucks for 2x4s.

There is enough room for the filler even the big fillers. I filled hundreds of them working my way through college. Not one problem.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a hot item maybe 10-12 years ago over at the Vanagon.com con-flab forum.

Your 100% correct in thinking that however you look at it your going to have to do the exact same bending , squating, crawling down along side of the van to get the extension screwed into the fill valve anyway prior to screwing the fill hose on.

What's the benifit?

Not sure.

Your going to have to do the propane fill hose extension mambo anyway--why not just eliminate one more move--???
Plug the fill hose up and forget about the extension--you'll be down there anyhow.

I saved that thinking it might be something else to manufacture for a Westy---

I figured out it was just another worthless operation, and wasn't worth the effort.

And I for sure wouldn't consider leaving it on the side of the tank full time--
One bonk--and it'll be all over---
j8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting your experiences.

If I make one, I'll post the how-to link for people interested in tinkering on it.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking that the easier part would be that I can most likely screw the extension on myself but in no way be allowed to hook the fill hose up,
so that means that I get the part that I am familiar with (my tank fittings) and that they are not.
and the attendant gets to screw the hose to the extension, a part they are familiar with, and I am not allowed by liability.

and where the heck did not carrying a ~12" pipe in lieu of 2 2ft 4x4's ever make sense?
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't ake any sense to carry two 4.4's.

I was offering this retort to the guy that mentioned it would be a pain to carry the piece of pipe around inside the van--

Ok--you don't want the pipe rolling around--carry the 4.4's
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Filler Extension for Propane Tank? Reply with quote

Back from the dead.

Before getting in line at Buses By The Bridge January 14th, I visited a nearby fuel station to fill a 20# tank and have the van's tank topped off. It was early morning and rather frigid, by desert dweller standards. The poor attendant struggled to get the filler onto to the tank and kept apologizing for taking so long... I kept apologizing on behalf of Manchester and Westfalia. She finally got the filler screwed on and put in 1.5 gallons.

Given the amount of
in the last couple of years when it comes to the filling the tank, I just bought this off eBay for $60:

Marshall Excelsior Filler Valve Extension (#ME574EXT-7547B)

Yes, one more thing to carry in the van (I already have caps/plugs for it to keep it clean inside), but it'll save time and much frustration in the years to come.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子

Last edited by kamzcab86 on Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: