Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

the sunroof rust perimeter
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
soloyosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: the sunroof rust perimeter Reply with quote

Cap10323 wrote:
Inject POR-15 through the holes, so it can soak into the rusty metal and stop the rust from spreading.

Once the POR has dried, you can repair the area with fiberglass, epoxy, whatever. Just don't shove a bunch cheap body filler in there. Use something which has an etchant and an adhesion promoter in it.

Which POR-15 product are you speaking of? Metal Prep?
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: the sunroof rust perimeter Reply with quote

soloyosh wrote:
Cap10323 wrote:
Inject POR-15 through the holes, so it can soak into the rusty metal and stop the rust from spreading.

Once the POR has dried, you can repair the area with fiberglass, epoxy, whatever. Just don't shove a bunch cheap body filler in there. Use something which has an etchant and an adhesion promoter in it.

Which POR-15 product are you speaking of? Metal Prep?

Sorry, missed this.

Just the plain old POR-15 rust encapsulating paint.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H2VVQNU/ref=s...amp;sr=8-6

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: the sunroof rust perimeter Reply with quote

POR-15 makes a waterproof barrier. So if water is coming through pinholes and you paint the back of the panel with POR-15, congratulations on making sure the water gets trapped in the rust.
Use on perfect metal or where rust converter has done a 100% job, to seal the panel from moisture. Otherwise it just blows off.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: the sunroof rust perimeter Reply with quote

Bringing the situation full circle - after leaving Lavere's in Concord I was truly, thoroughly pissed OFF. I hate all those fuckers. The owner put a rookie on the project and he really fucked up the bus. Burned pin holes in the headliner as well as the original Riviera bed. The welding was amateur at best. Catastrophic mess. Also poked a major size hole in the sunroof slider headliner. for good measure. However I was able to recover by sending it to a local that is slightly less a douche bag. He did manage to clean up Lavere's mess and did an adequate job of cutting and restitching the front right drain pipe that was beyond clogged by Lavere's. That allowed us to keep the now brittle headliner for a time until September 2020 when a big tree fell on it like a Monty Python foot. Tree actually took out two buses. Nearly killed my son who was sleeping inside on the fold out Rivi bed. First and only time since that we took out two buses as a family. So, as it turns out all the patching, painting and saving the headliner was an exercise in futility, and a huge waste of time and money. Since the tree crash I had the bus sent to a shop in NorCal who stuffed it in a corner for six months. Got the BAR in California to investigate and get both buses released. In April 2021 I had them shipped to Grants Pass where a welder sectioned and installed a donor rear roof panel from the cargo hatch forward to the sunroof. He made sure all the rear drain lines functioned since the donor was not a sunroof. Brought the bus back home on a trailer to the shop that fixed Lavere's mess in May 2021, who said he would have it blocked and painted in a few weeks. Hired a lawyer at the end of July to extract it from that shop in August. New Sewfine headliner installed in the fall by Jon Lind in Springfield, after roof paint and half the the area below the belt line [this time, Glasurit] - just enough to get to headliner. Next, after about 15K, the rear windows wouldn't go in.

Since the engine is out and all apart I towed the bus to two glass shops. Both were frustrated and gave up.

So I bought some car skates and shoehorned the bus sideways into my garage to keep the weather off it. Returned both WW seals that didn't fit. Lost shipping each way. Picked up a WCM seal for the rear 3/4 window. Original gasket good for reuse on the vent wing. Bought a rare NOS German deluxe seal for the right side full window. Had it shipped from Europe. Both glass companies came out to my garage in May. First one failed on both windows; second shop desperately barely got the 3/4 glass in this week but failed on the right side. They took the German seal, OG deluxe trim and glass to their shop to cut glass 3/16" off the top of a new piece then will send it out 100 miles to have it tempered. We're losing the original glass just to get it over with.

Saving this bus has been a monumental fucking drag. But I'm the luckiest person not having my son injured, or worse. I'm putting this bus together for him because he is such a great student and hope I can keep him into buses after a two year freeze out. Plus it is a rare bus. Not a lot of tagged sunroof Riviera buses out there. I hope its all worth it.
lonewolfone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: the sunroof rust perimeter Reply with quote

My first bus was a 79 sunroof transporter. Sunroof perimeter was rusty as hell, the drain tubes were rusted out, sunroof panel had holes. Did some repairs on it but ended up just cruising it for years with the rust. Was an absolute blast having all the windows and roof open on nice days. Flip side it was my daily for a while and on rainy days you'd get a shower when all the rain coming in would rush forward and dump straight down your back when coming to a stop.

Good times, miss that bus.
65 sundial "trailer special"
75 riviera "red rocket "
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: