Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Oil Cooler and Electric Generator shopping..
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PFuni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Vanagon Oil Cooler and Electric Generator shopping.. Reply with quote

Happy Holidays to all first off...

I have to completely different questions that I need help on,

#1) I have an 83' manual transmission water-cooled Westfalia Camper. I recently bought a rebuilt 1.9L engine which has been boared out to a 2.1L. I was told a few times by Vanagon faithfuls to possibly add an oil cooler. I would like to know if I really need an oil cooler for my vanagon or if it's a (just-in-case not too important addition to my engine). I've seen pretty much 2.1L oil coolers on here. Being that my engine is originally a 1.9L modified to a 2.1L, can I add a 2.1L oil cooler or would that just sabotage my engine from performing properly.

#2) I am shopping for an electric generator for camping and have done much research and I'm quite familiar with the popular HONDA 2000ei generator. Yet it is a bit pricey for my budget. I found a comparable 3000watt generator on EBAY for half the price of around $520. I'm not too familiar with the brand though. It's made by PCC Motors based out of Pomona, CA. Does anybody have any intell. on these generators??? Am I about to buy a P.O.S. generator and get ripped off or is this a respectable brand at a favorable price????

Any info on one or both of these elaborate questions would do. I'm not expecting someone to give my thorough responses on both of these subjects but as I said, any and all input would help, even if just a quick response. Much appreciated and thanks again.

83' Vanagon
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda Honda Honda. While it appears to be a generator, it is actually an invertor. It charges in DC and then converts to AC. There are two benefits that come to mind. Because is charges in DC and converts, the generator does not need to run at 3600 rpm to get the correct MHZ. It can basically idle and raise rpm as the load increases. This makes them very efficient to operate and better yet super quiet. I ran my 3000 Honda for 10 days connected to my house running the fridge, lights, tv and sealing fans on 25 gallons of gas. This type of output is also better suited to TV's Computers etc. The down side of the honda is that it only outputs 110 Volt not 220 volt. My Honda 3000 also has a 12volt battery charger output. I am very satisfied.

Can't say much about your cooler question. There is a benefit if it is properly plumbed, has a thermostat and gets good air flow. The downside is if you have a plumbing failure, you can pump a lot of engine oil on to the ground very quickly. It just needs to be something you keep an eye on. I am using the stock oil temp exchanger mounted to the oil filter housing. I understand those work well to warm the oil, but offer minimal cooling at high temps.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No comment on the generator question ( I like to escape that kind of thing when I leave home, but that's just me), but I can help some with the oil cooler question.

I'm presuming that you have a 2.1 longblock but are using your original '83 cooling, engine controls and exhaust systems. If so, your '83 cooling system does not include the OIl/Water Heat Exchanger rsxsr mentions, nor can one of them be added to a 1.9 system simply.

I do believe that every VW boxer engine, air or watercooled, benefits greatly from the addition of extra oil cooling. It is as true with the 2.1's that have the OWHX as it is with the 1.9 wbx. The bus/Vanagon engines need the most help controlling OT because their relatively low gearing means they are at fairly high rpm while cruising, and it's rpms that cause heating of the oil.

I won't go into details about installing an oil cooling system on the wbx because I happen to sell fully-developed systems for all wbx engines. The 1.9 system's plumbing was particularly difficult to work out due to the absence of the OWHX, and I'm not about to reveal my sources and methods although if you search here you can learn a lot about my systems as well as the ways others have approached this problem.

You can click on the link at the bottom of my posts to learn more about my products or to contact me (please do so thru the ad and not by PM), but that is not to say you can't work this out yourself, it will simply require some dedicated research on your part. It must be stressed, though, that you use high-quality components lest you add problems instead of solving them, especially in regards to hoses and fittings. And lastly, thermostatic control is not optional, it is essential.

Good luck.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot agree more on the Honda line of generators. Many of the others use the term "muffler," loosely. People around you will be happy. They start easily and do not become some kind of perverse exercise machine.

As for shopping for one you can use Craigslist or Pawn Shops. I found mine, a 3500, in a pawn shop for $400. If you are in a hurricane prone area, they tend to show up a year or two later as simple folks decide they will never be hit by one again. The 3500 is very nice, has 110 and 220 so you can power your house with the two legs of the 220. Most likely a bit overkill for a westy.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: