Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

75 undercarriage part needed
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rayroc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: 75 undercarriage part needed Reply with quote

just got this 75 and the drivers side needs a rocker panel and the section shown in the picture that looks like swiss cheese horizonally inside and below the rocker have no idea what to order or what it's called.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 undercarriage part needed Reply with quote

Outrigger, Klassicfab and Wolfsburg west have diagrams showing all the parts with names and links.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
rayroc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 undercarriage part needed Reply with quote

Yea looked on diagram and what I see is that its the full replacement rocker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 undercarriage part needed Reply with quote

rayroc wrote:
Yea looked on diagram and what I see is that its the full replacement rocker

here, let me do it for you

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
rayroc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 undercarriage part needed Reply with quote

No it's the section running the lengthwise inside and inder the rocker I emailed wolfsburg west showing the picture and he said the full replacemt rocker
rayroc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 undercarriage part needed Reply with quote

Here's the right side part

earch

Description: INNER ROCKER PANEL, full installation, right, 1968-1979 Bus.
Part # Price Qty. In Stock
211801392C $46.00
Yes
W
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 undercarriage part needed Reply with quote

if that is not it please put a big yellow dot or have someone take photos with you touching the parts of the bus you want. The photo is the whole damn underside of half the bus. We don't read minds here and the description of what you want isn't all that helpful because everyone is suggesting different parts.
rayroc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 undercarriage part needed Reply with quote

sent same picture to w.w. with same question and he immediately responded with the correct part needed pretty straightforward
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 undercarriage part needed Reply with quote

rayroc wrote:
sent same picture to w.w. with same question and he immediately responded with the correct part needed pretty straightforward

The part number you list, 211801392C , comes back in a Google search to be the inner piece inside the bottom door channel. Is that what you are after? In the ww diagram here it is part #10. https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/body_s...cfm?type=2

rayroc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 undercarriage part needed Reply with quote

that's it !

that part would cure the outer rocker of course as well as the horizontal section I tried to show in the picture
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 undercarriage part needed Reply with quote

Holy Sh*t, I'm getting the impression that you should seek professional rust repair help on this, the part you claim as "that's it!" isn't even shown in your original photo.

As Steve says how about some pics with a hand in the pic pointing at every one of the suspect parts?, a stick would work too if you haven't had your nails done recently and are ashamed of a close up hand shot Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 undercarriage part needed Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Holy Sh*t, I'm getting the impression that you should seek professional rust repair help on this, the part you claim as "that's it!" isn't even shown in your original photo.

As Steve says how about some pics with a hand in the pic pointing at every one of the suspect parts?, a stick would work too if you haven't had your nails done recently and are ashamed of a close up hand shot Wink

I got into trouble at work with that pic, something about proximal items to my hand, even though my nails were perfect
rayroc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 undercarriage part needed Reply with quote

farthest most right lengthwise section 2-3 inches wide between the outriggers and outer rocker panel in the pic it's swiss cheese metal
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 undercarriage part needed Reply with quote

rayroc wrote:
just got this 75 and the drivers side needs a rocker panel and the section shown in the picture that looks like swiss cheese horizonally inside and below the rocker have no idea what to order or what it's called.

first determine what is horizontal and vertical. you said horizontal, not vertical.

next lesson will be left and right

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
rayroc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 undercarriage part needed Reply with quote

yes flat like a 90% angle to the outer rocker panel skin

full rocker panel can't just slip it over has to be fully cut out so the outer rocker skin has something to attach to since the area in discussed is basically not there
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 undercarriage part needed Reply with quote

Step one- remove the rotten areas. Step two- buy good quality replacements ( or fight that thin shit . ). the ends of the outriggers and jack points usually get very thin once the whole inner rocker roaches out. best of luck!
rayroc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 undercarriage part needed Reply with quote

Laughing appreciate it good advice !
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: 75 undercarriage part needed Reply with quote

Wow you guys are having a hard time with this. He said Driver's side, which is usually LEFT.
And the pic clearly shows a view from the left front tire looking to the left rear tire.
Problem is, that is a bitch of a part to install because the basically build the bus around it.
Years ago you could get Tabco or maybe Dansk parts the were cut out around the part where the I- beam and top hat and outriggers attached and just COVER UP THE RUSTED METAL. Which, tho not perfect was EASY.
Further If you open it up and remove this part likely the center rocker will be toast.
It is a sandwich of 3 parts and sorta like doing a cardiac surgery without the DaVinci Robot. You're gonna leave scars.
This is a major surgery. If it's just the bottom and the edges are still good, I'd consider just patching it.
Here in the rust belt, for many years I have seen cars where these 3 parts are totally gone in sections.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: 75 undercarriage part needed Reply with quote

The part number provided is the passenger side inside rocker. It appears to be part of the assembly the sliding door lower rollers ride in. This thread is going to be 10 pages long by the time we get photos of what he really needs.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: 75 undercarriage part needed Reply with quote

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211801392CE

I assume this is what Alan Brase above was talking about as a "slip over" repair.

If the proper repair is out of your wheel house this one might work. If your part is not too far gone, I would assume. Kind of a step up from the "hippie fix" I hear so much about. Rolling Eyes But I can see that you could clean the hell out of that bad part. Use Metal Ready or Rust converter, some good inner channel primer and then use this part.

Tuff to tell without actually seeing what you have to work with. Plus both this part and the total replacement part seem to be cheap. Buy both, try the slip on one and in ten years if it is not holding up, you are ready to let someone else fix it.

Good Luck
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: