Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Memphis area roll call
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
grimace007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Memphis area roll call Reply with quote

im moving to a little north of memphis and wantto know what kinda vw action i can expect!

Dallas Air Coolers
perrib wrote:
Hey It is The Samba where well thought out rational answers can take a while and getting side tracked is normal. I was just lucky this time. Smile

cr@M wrote:

No one has any personal responsibility these days. This country is sue happy. Intelligence is no longer a requirement, just an accessory.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its not to late, stay away from memphis. But here you go
http://midsouthvw.com/
They have a yearly car show and a monthly news letter.

And if it is to late, welcome Wink
Rowroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I don't live in Memphis, my friend and I make an annual pilgrimage from Knoxville once a year for Memphis in May. We have a standing reservation at the Peabody. Laughing

It gets no better than Beale St. on a Saturday night.
grimace007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill actually be moving a bit north to brighton/covington area up 51 about 15-20miles or so

Dallas Air Coolers
perrib wrote:
Hey It is The Samba where well thought out rational answers can take a while and getting side tracked is normal. I was just lucky this time. Smile

cr@M wrote:

No one has any personal responsibility these days. This country is sue happy. Intelligence is no longer a requirement, just an accessory.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rowroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grimace007 wrote:
ill actually be moving a bit north to brighton/covington area up 51 about 15-20miles or so

Judging by your current location, I assume you will be moving from Dallas. I lived there for a couple of years while working at Texas Instruments. In my oh-so-humble opinion, I think you will find the Covington area a change for the better.
grimace007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i was up there for a week and was blown away its beatuful

Dallas Air Coolers
perrib wrote:

cr@M wrote:

Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friendly VW club and they have montly meetings at Fox Ridge Pizza. I was a member until I moved back to the gulf coast. I think you'll like the club, I still do and keep in contact with a few the guys there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
widehatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i live here in memphis. i honestly dont like it but family keeps me here. racism is still very alive here and its even in the politics. good thing you're moving to tipton county. as far as a VW scene goes theres really not much of one in my opinion. i drive my 1964 deluxe bus everyday, even now in the winter and i hardly ever see another aircooled VW. there is a local club although im not part of it. there are no VW shops that specialize in air-cooled VWs but there is a shop that is late model VW/Audi exclusive.
grimace007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, maybe ill work on gettin a shop in memphis going Wink

Dallas Air Coolers
perrib wrote:

cr@M wrote:

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a place called Roy Roger's Foreign Parts that caters to VW's; there used to be two shops but the ohter one closed on 2008. They sell parts and some advice. Once a year or so, the VW club has a "Tune & Fix". There's shop that works on air cooled VWs but I don't recall the name or location; hit up the monthly meeting in Cordova and I'm sure Bill will be able to give you the name of the place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
widehatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the VW scene in Memphis has really died basically. i am 32 and ive been driving VWs since i was 16. when i was 16 there was 7 shops that specialized in air-cooled VWs. there were 3 parts stores that specialized and catered to air-cooled. Memphis is now down to 1 parts store (roy rogers foreign auto parts)that caters to air-cooled and all other imports. there is one shop that will accept air-cooled VWs but that is not their main focus. the water-cooled VW shop stopped working on air-cooled about a year ago. i honestly think there's not enough vintage VW activity in town anymore to support a full time vintage VW shop. as far as the local club goes it's ok i guess but not a lot of vintage (pre-67) VWs in my opinion. im not a member and i dont want to be. it just doesn't suit my idea of how a club should operate. i love driving my bus everyday and would love for some new blood to come to town that's into the vintage stuff too.
gavir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you found any good VW action in Memphis yet? I just moved to Memphis (well, Olive branch anyway)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VW is NOT dead in Memphis, you need to contact Bill Conkel, he runs the local club and they have a great time. They've got cruises, get together, camping, drive-in meets and more. Then you've got the annual show at the end of summer. My advice is to attend a couple of the meetings at Fox Ridge Pizza and then make a choice as to if the local scene is dead or not.

You want a dead scene, come to Biloxi. Wink
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWs? I though everybody was Walking In Memphis.

(With their feet ten feet off of Beale.)
grimace007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gavir wrote:
Have you found any good VW action in Memphis yet? I just moved to Memphis (well, Olive branch anyway)

nope but im just gettin settle in and my flywheel sheared off my bus 2 days before i moved up here...

we can hookup for a drink or garage day sometime though if ya like im about an hour from OB

Dallas Air Coolers
perrib wrote:

cr@M wrote:

gavir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a plan, still getting settled in here myself
widehatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm half way between both of you just 5 minutes from all the car dealers on Covington Pike. and just shy of the I-40/I-240 interchange. i love all VWs but i'm more of a bus guy myself. just picked up a 67 Kombi project and passed a 65 deluxe parts bus along to a buddy.
grimace007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha well work took me to nebraska, so now im really in the sticks... maybe ill be back in tennessee one day though

Dallas Air Coolers
perrib wrote:

cr@M wrote:

gavir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a couple of air cooled around
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

widehatch wrote:
i live here in memphis. i honestly dont like it but family keeps me here. racism is still very alive here and its even in the politics. good thing you're moving to tipton county. as far as a VW scene goes theres really not much of one in my opinion. i drive my 1964 deluxe bus everyday, even now in the winter and i hardly ever see another aircooled VW. there is a local club although im not part of it. there are no VW shops that specialize in air-cooled VWs but there is a shop that is late model VW/Audi exclusive.

I bet that was you I saw drive by my house in East Memphis a couple weeks ago. Saw an early bus with sweet bumpers go by headed towards Mt. Moriah, so I kept an eye out till I saw it drive back by to get a good look at it Wink
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: