Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Correct Fenders for a '58-'59 Euro Bug
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spectre6000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Correct Fenders for a '58-'59 Euro Bug Reply with quote

I give up... I've searched high, low, asked around, other people are asking around for me, what's the deal? Best I can tell, the only fenders that are correct for a '58-'59 Euro Bug are fenders from a '58-'59 Euro Bug. The US-spec ones can be welded up, fine, but still only '58-'59 correct? <'57 has the bullets, >'59 doesn't have the headlight tube and I think there's a curve missing in the front fenders, but what about the rears? Totally at a loss here.

-'58 German Market Deluxe Beetle (in progress)
-'84 M1009 CUCV
-'81 K10
"Buy the best, cry once." -Gene Berg
"A cheap man will always buy the cheapest thing available, and then buys another one hoping for a better result, and then spends the rest of his life in misery complaining about it. A thrifty man will buy a good part once and never think about it again." -RockCrusher
"Don't feed the Shitty Parts Monster!" -Me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
puttin slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.glass-action.com/bug.html

check out the fenders and you can at least getr an idea of what your lookin for as far as contour. and if all else fails, then run these
mattpeace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

59 fenders do have the conduit from the headlight bucket, but they do lack the flair at the bottom of the front fender where it meets the running board and not quite as curvy near the headlight bucket, 58 fenders appear the same as the bullet fenders just no bullet. You can fill the peanut holes relativly easily and make it vurtually udectable, rear fenders are the same 56-59, i dont know about 60-61 as they are snowflake fenders but i do not know if they have the dimple between the fender bolts.
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattpeace wrote:
rear fenders are the same 56-59, i dont know about 60-61 as they are snowflake fenders but i do not know if they have the dimple between the fender bolts.

1960-61 rear fenders do not have the dimples on the mounting flange.
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
Bart Dunn
Samba Consiglieri

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I discussed this on e-mail with someone recently. Here's a couple of good "how the f*%$ do I tell what fenders these are" threads:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=295256
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=307483

The oval forum is a good place to hunt around for more. The general idea is that the earlier fenders are going to look different at the backs where they attach to the running boards, they're wider, the curves are more pronounced, they have a lot more visual appeal than reproductions or later fenders, running them on your car will get you chicks, cause you to lose weight and regrow hair, and helps one stop smoking.
Heinz57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also been looking for front fenders for my '59 Euro bug. I just picked a drivers side off the Craigslist. Its a super clean '59 wire tube fender with original blue paint shipped from southern CA today. The flair by the running board is smaller, but it also has has the smaller wheel opening compared to the '60 and up. I measured it off a set of '64 fenders that I have in the shop.

Earlier this month, I bought a '56 Euro fender, its very similar, but the flair is much more pronounced.

I was able to learn alot about identifying front fenders from this UK VW site.

http://forums.pre67vw.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=16493

Danny
spectre6000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bart Dunn wrote:
I discussed this on e-mail with someone recently.

I'll betcha it was me.

-'58 German Market Deluxe Beetle (in progress)
-'84 M1009 CUCV
-'81 K10
"Buy the best, cry once." -Gene Berg
"A cheap man will always buy the cheapest thing available, and then buys another one hoping for a better result, and then spends the rest of his life in misery complaining about it. A thrifty man will buy a good part once and never think about it again." -RockCrusher
"Don't feed the Shitty Parts Monster!" -Me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bart Dunn
Samba Consiglieri

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spectre6000 wrote:
Bart Dunn wrote:
I discussed this on e-mail with someone recently.

I'll betcha it was me.

Yes it was ... here's a picture of a '59 I had last summer for a short time, and the fender closest to you was an original one. I looked for better pic's of the fenders and couldn't come up with one.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

hundel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm Mattpeace's statement. No flare. Has metal headlamp conduit. And, I can narrow down when the change was made. My vehicle was titled as a '59 from day one, but the VIN is technically at the end of the '58 range in October '58.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: