Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Headlight Mounting
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
june1ron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Vanagon Headlight Mounting Reply with quote

Anyone know an easy solution for securing the headlights?

I'm restoring an '87 Westy Weekender, and my local VW parts store says that the plastic hardware that connects the headlight to the headlight-frame is no longer available.

Right now, the top mounts on my headlights are secured by the plastic nuts, but the bottoms aren't secured by anything, so the headlights swing back and forth.

I'm wondering how people have dealt with this before?
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are aftermarket available on eBay.
I have not used them so don't know how they work.

I use stainless steel bolts with nuts and washers.
Each bolt will have 4 nuts and 4 washers.
I red loctite the furthest rear nut in place.
You can adjust easily.

I buy all needed at McMaster Carr and the total cost for both banks of inner and outer lights on a 86-91 van is approximately $14.00 when bought in quantity.

While you are at it jump grounds from each brown wire at the socket, to the body for good measure.

dylan
june1ron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got started on this this weekend.

For anyone trying at home, the stock bolts/nuts for securing the headlights to the metal support are M5.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the search function. Been discussed a few times.....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
chimivee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Headlight Mounting Reply with quote

june1ron wrote:
Anyone know an easy solution for securing the headlights?

Are you talking about the adjusters? There are some DIY solutions such as:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=456788&
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=385347
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original headlight hardware has been reproduced and is readily available from www.airheadparts.com. Just search for "headlight adjuster" on their website and they will all come up.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW Fanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a full a (well, minus 2 adjusters that are on back order, ETA 2 weeks) set from BD for my '87. This weekend I took all the lights down, cleaned them, dried them and mounted them. I can hardly wait for the final two to come in so I can complete the process.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fix...... Scroll down.....
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=532045&start=220

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/head scratch] I'm not sure I see the worry about this one. Headlight adjuster parts are readily available from Van Cafe. Went there, did that when converting to HID's. GW and (BD AFAIK) sell full kits but Van Cafe sells sets of anchors and adjusters for various points on the lights. The point here being the parts are readily available, if not exactly inexpensive. Given their job is to keep your headlights aimed properly, a safety issue, it's not something I'd take a DIY shortcut on.

DISCLAIMER: I have no connect with any of the sellers listed, other than being a customer.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RBEmerson wrote:
[/head scratch] I'm not sure I see the worry about this one. Headlight adjuster parts are readily available from Van Cafe. Went there, did that when converting to HID's. GW and (BD AFAIK) sell full kits but Van Cafe sells sets of anchors and adjusters for various points on the lights. The point here being the parts are readily available, if not exactly inexpensive. Given their job is to keep your headlights aimed properly, a safety issue, it's not something I'd take a DIY shortcut on.

DISCLAIMER: I have no connect with any of the sellers listed, other than being a customer.

At the time of the original post almost 3 years ago, many of the stock headlight adjusters were sold out and NLA. They have reappeared and are now available.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
RBEmerson wrote:

At the time of the original post almost 3 years ago, many of the stock headlight adjusters were sold out and NLA. They have reappeared and are now available.

That is true..... But at $83 for a set.

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

My time is so scarce these days I would gladly pay $80 for a set of adjusters. I just don't have 4-5 hours to fiddle with making a home made solution. I saw your posts on what you did, and although I applaud the ingenuity, I just can't justify the time to make something that I can get off the shelf. You probably spent what, $25 on brass and stainless parts? and at least half a day to figure it out? The difference is small enough on this item that it makes it worthwhile to me to just buy them.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
djkeev wrote:

My time is so scarce these days I would gladly pay $80 for a set of adjusters. I just don't have 4-5 hours to fiddle with making a home made solution. I saw your posts on what you did, and although I applaud the ingenuity, I just can't justify the time to make something that I can get off the shelf. You probably spent what, $25 on brass and stainless parts? and at least half a day to figure it out? The difference is small enough on this item that it makes it worthwhile to me to just buy them.

We each operate at a different level of what we are comfortable doing vs what we are comfortable paying someone else to do for us.

I find a high level of satisfaction in coming up with quality dollar wise (for materials) solutions. My hobby is the doing part so I don't place a dollar value upon it, I find it relaxing.

Yes, about $30 spent and a good two hours developing and executing the first side. The 2nd side should take but a fraction of that.
Hopefully I blazed an inexpensive trail that others can follow and by doing so they can save a few dollars.

I also feel the quality of my product is much higher than the mounts you can buy for $83.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I like about the samba.

We learn about the vendor parts that are out there and also about ways to DIY rather than buy. It's all good... Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Chuey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev, Awesome! Thanks for chronicling that.

Chuey
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tip of the hat to both supporting vendors who bring parts back, and also to folks doing home workarounds. Having said that, when I used the "fuel line, drywall anchor" technique I think I may have spent less time than installing new factory type adjusters. After the first individual adjuster is done, the others take just 30 seconds or so each to assemble. I was laughing at one point. Plus, these fuel line sections absorb vibrations vs the solid connections of factory adjusters and may increase bulb life for those of us who haunt backroads.

Viva la difference'! Or something like that...

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
RBEmerson wrote:
[/head scratch] I'm not sure I see the worry about this one. [/edit]

DOH! I missed OP date. TNX for pointing that out. [/smile]

That said, I stand by the "not a place to DIY" remark. OK, for "limp home", as the old adjusters can fracture and fail (BTDT), but for final use, nah. Note that in PA, where we live, there's an annual vehicle inspection, including checking headlight aiming (a requirement sometimes ignored, unfortunately for on-coming vehicles, but good for folks hunting racoons in trees...). DIY may be a fail in that setting.
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all actuality, a drop in HID kit will be the failing point in PA long before DIY headlight adjusters unless you have a friend at the inspection station. The adjusters are mostly obscured by the grill, but the HID capsules are sitting out there plain as day to be rejected.

Under PA Code 175.66.5, it is incredibly unlikely that any HID conversion can pass the proper aiming laws, since the optics are completely wrong for the lighting source. http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/067/chapter175/s175.66.html

Where I live in NH, they fail HID conversions instantly when installed in reflector housings, then charge full price for the failed inspection and place a non-compliance sticker, which gives you 60 days to make necessary repairs before returning for re-inspection. My local inspection station had a bunch of freshly pulled HID kits sitting in a box waiting to be tossed when I was there a couple weeks back. They also have a nice selection of halogen bulbs they will install on site to avoid failing people for inspection instead of making them remove the junk themselves and come back on their own. Funny stuff.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

Last edited by thatvwbusguy on Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RBEmerson wrote:
PDXWesty wrote:
RBEmerson wrote:
[/head scratch] I'm not sure I see the worry about this one. [/edit]

DOH! I missed OP date. TNX for pointing that out. [/smile]

That said, I stand by the "not a place to DIY" remark. OK, for "limp home", as the old adjusters can fracture and fail (BTDT), but for final use, nah. Note that in PA, where we live, there's an annual vehicle inspection, including checking headlight aiming (a requirement sometimes ignored, unfortunately for on-coming vehicles, but good for folks hunting racoons in trees...). DIY may be a fail in that setting.

No, my DIY will probably function better than the new factory style units down the road. Mine are Stainless Screws into Nylon. Theirs are ferrous screws into Nylon...... My old adjusters are a rusty mass, I imagine the new ones will age in a like manner.
Do you really think that these adjusters would actually rotate and adjust anything?!?....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My DIY system adjusts in exactly the same spots and exactly the same as the factory adjusters using a Phillips screw driver only Mine won't rust! Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: