Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Odd remote full flow oil filter - can anyone identify it?
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
T2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject: Odd remote full flow oil filter - can anyone identify it? Reply with quote

I have this odd remote full flow oil filter set up. The guy who had this claimed it was from a Porsche 356. I got it when I bought several 36hp engines from him years ago.

Can anyone shed some light on what this is?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VeeDee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd remote full flow oil filter - can anyone identify it? Reply with quote

Should be an Oettinger part. It was mounted to the rear bolts of the generator stand. The connector is to be screwed in the location of the oil pressure switch via a special hollow screw.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd remote full flow oil filter - can anyone identify it? Reply with quote

Fram accessory filter setup

Check out these 3 links
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=428262
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5143477#5143477
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=633661

From a link above:
Quote:
Fram bypass kit.
From the Gallery:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alanhall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd remote full flow oil filter - can anyone identify it? Reply with quote

A by-pass filter, not full flow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
T2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd remote full flow oil filter - can anyone identify it? Reply with quote

Thanks Everett for those links.
Peter_Plade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Odd remote full flow oil filter - can anyone identify it? Reply with quote

Is possible to buy filters for this setup?
I’ve been considering it for my 66 bug.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Odd remote full flow oil filter - can anyone identify it? Reply with quote

spin on filters are pretty generic so yes, not hard to find.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Odd remote full flow oil filter - can anyone identify it? Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I can get that oil sender adapter for this kit .
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd remote full flow oil filter - can anyone identify it? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

It looks complete in the picture. Only the filter and oil pressure switch is missing which will be installed in the female threaded part on the fitting..
TomSimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Odd remote full flow oil filter - can anyone identify it? Reply with quote

I just sold an NOS kit a few months ago... The kit is well made, well thought out. As has already been noted, isn't a full-flow filtering system, but it is full time... that is, some of the engine's oil is being filtered and returmed at all times. sure does dress up a vintage 40hp or later engine, it might also work on 356 porsche (mounting this style requires a bolt on generator stand).

They were very clever, no machining needed, it's comprised of a bunch of custom machined fittings, hollow banjo bolts and banjo fitting, a small casting.

The oil exits the case at the oil light sender location, thru a hollow banjo bolt and fitting, which by the way, re-accepts the factory oil pressure light sender. Oil runs thru the filter housing which I believe has it's own built in bypass, for cold oil at start up. Filtered oil is then returned to the case by way of a long hollow bolt that replaces one of the factory generator stand studs. The banjo bolt and fittings seal by way of copper crush washers, still commonly used on American brake systems (like the front of my Ford E350).
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Odd remote full flow oil filter - can anyone identify it? Reply with quote

They are pretty ineffective, they only filter like 4% of the oil, just like the old Porsche ones.
I have a couple of the,m floating around the garage, they would look kind of cool on a vintage 40hp set up.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd remote full flow oil filter - can anyone identify it? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

I dug around and found two of these kits, but both are missing the adapter piece that screws into the oil pressure switch hole.
I went ahead and screwed the through bolt that passes directly through the banjo fitting and it screws and tightens in the oil pressure switch hole, so not sure what the purpose of the adapter is?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd remote full flow oil filter - can anyone identify it? Reply with quote

I was/am looking for that adapter so I can use it for my fullflow oil canister if I can ... just like the denzel fullflow oil sender adapter looks similar in a way ..unless someone has a denzel one i want it lol ...but I was looking to use that adapter to see if it will work or not ....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: