Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Small Car exhaust question
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bajaleo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Small Car exhaust question Reply with quote

I recently switched to Small Car parts on my 84 2wd camper, and I'm not sure I have the exhaust installed correctly. It looks like it's hanging a bit low to me.

The Small Car muffler brackets are designed to be installed differently for a syncro and a 2wd. I initially tried installing them so that they would locate the muffler in the upper position, but I couldn't get everything to fit. I then flipped them so that the muffler is in the lower position, and things fit better, but, I'm fouling at the right side rolled edge of the muffler and the bodywork of the van.

Am I doing something wrong here? I realize that the Small Car engine mount necessitates that the moustache bar is located slightly rearward from it's factory location. Is that what's happening here?

Thanks, Leo
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Small Car exhaust question Reply with quote

The J pipe on the other end of the cat needs to be adjusted in the angle that it comes off of the manifold and into the cat. Loosen the clamps at either end of the J pipe and the large clamps to the muffler. You should now be able to slide the whole muffler/cat assembly toward the drivers side and get the clearance you need. You may need to rotate the cat or muffler as well when you do this.

This is a good illustration of why it is nice to not tighten anything fully until you have maneuvered the exhaust into its final position. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Small Car exhaust question Reply with quote

As Dave says, there is some room to rotate the J-pipe up at the header connection. I think you need to loosen the muffler straps and both ends of the J-pipe. Your exhaust needs to shift towards the driver's side. Also look at the J-pipe to CAT connection and make sure that the CAT & muffler are rotated so that the muffler is tucked up as high as possible. I think your muffler brackets are installed upside down too. Here is a pic of mine:

It is hard to see here, but the whole assembly should tuck up quite a bit yet. I have a trailer hitch which disguises it even more. My 2WD with the small car exhaust is on the right (blue).

iceracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car exhaust question Reply with quote

correct me if I am wrong but I think you have the cat on backwards. OX sensor should be on the driver side of van. Maybe its just the pic?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bajaleo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car exhaust question Reply with quote

What size is this muffler?

termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Small Car exhaust question Reply with quote

bajaleo wrote:
What size is this muffler?

It is the small car stainless steel muffler installed about 5 years ago. I do not know the size or if they are still selling this muffler. It does not look nearly as big as yours. Here is another picture to give you a better idea of the mounting location.

bajaleo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car exhaust question Reply with quote

iceracer, you are correct. I had the cat on backwards. I also found a smaller muffler at O'Reilly auto parts, and everything fits much better now. It's a bit louder than the previous Small Car muffler, but it's ok. I might keep looking for one that's quieter.

iceracer wrote:
correct me if I am wrong but I think you have the cat on backwards. OX sensor should be on the driver side of van. Maybe its just the pic?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: