Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Moisture issue
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
type2ted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject: Moisture issue Reply with quote

Have a stock 91 automatic Camper with 2.0. Every time the weather get a little moisture in the air my van will not crank. It can rain all day long for days and will not have a problem. But when it gets misty and cloudy and a lot of moisture in the air it refuses to crank. It will turn over but will not fire. I did the obvious and make sure the distributor,coil and wires are dry and anything connected to them. Usually in the past when it acted up like this all I had to do was wait till the sun came out and warmed things up it would crank up like nothing was ever wrong....but the sun doesn't look like it will shine anytime soon today. If anybody can shed any light to this subject it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance...Ted
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spray the inside of the cap & distributor with LPS-1 or WD-40.
Do the ends of all the wires at both ends--coil included.

The products mentioned displace water so your damp starting issues should be a thing of the past.
type2ted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply guys.... It started up soon after I posted the problem, sputtered a few seconds, and she once again is running fine. Do I need to do this everytime this situation happens. Or once I do this (when I get home) and it will ward off the moisture for the most parts. And thanks again Terry Kay and dobryan for the input....Ted
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should last for quite some time keeping the ignition dry.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would look at the engine running in the dark. Look to see if you see some arching along the plug wires. You could also put some water in a spray bottle and mist the engine while it is running to see if high voltage current is seaping. Moisture can give current easy paths to ground if there is a lot of resistance in the circuit.
RicoS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
Should last for quite some time keeping the ignition dry.

You're right, of course, Terrence, unless . . .

One rainy day many moons ago, a buddy called me for help because he was in the middle of a job when he stopped for gas and couldn't get his truck started. Unfortunately, he was at a garage run by the biggest thief east of Podunk, PA. After my buddy had done the WD-40 dance, without running any diagnostics the garage owner declared he needed a new ignition computer.

When I finally got over there, as I lit a cigarette I noticed the truck was reeking of gas, so I figured the fuel system was at least kicking. But, it had no spark so I popped the distributor cap which was dripping with WD-40. That was the first time I had ever seen a distributor cap with aluminum terminals. I scraped all the encrusted shit off the terminals and the truck fired right up.

My buddy admitted that he had thought that distributor cap was kinda cheap even for Pep Boys.

Richie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RicoS wrote:

When I finally got over there, as I lit a cigarette I noticed the truck was reeking of gas, so I figured the fuel system was at least kicking. But, it had no spark so I popped the distributor cap which was dripping with WD-40. That was the first time I had ever seen a distributor cap with aluminum terminals. I scraped all the encrusted shit off the terminals and the truck fired right up.

My buddy admitted that he had thought that distributor cap was kinda cheap even for Pep Boys.

Richie

Aluminium terminals in the cap will also cause the distributor ends of the spark plug wires to corrode leading to damaged wires and failed connections.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: