Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Propex installations - photos please
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Propex installations - photos please Reply with quote

As many of you may know, since I brought the Propex heaters to the US market in 2003, the sales of them has increased greatly, and I now have four vendors selling them in addition to myself. One of the most often-asked questions I get is "where can I get this installed?" There are many individuals who I know have the skills to install them properly, but on the other hand I have seen some very poorly-done installations by supposed reputable shops, including one disastrous installation that was done by one of my vendors (who shall go un-named at this point).

What I would like is to assemble a list of reliable, talented, trustworthy installers who I can send people to around the country wherever the 'installer' question comes up. Please post your recommended installers here, along with a photo or two, and maybe a short description of how well you feel the job was done. Safe, proper installations are what we are striving for. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl, I LOVE our propex. The RV guy who did our installation - I don't mess with propane - did a fine job with that section, but didn't follow through on the house-end of things. (vent etc) It wasn't according to your site layout and excellent instructions, and I was specific about wanting the exact install on your site. I couldn't recommend him for that reason.

Hope you'll assemble a good group though. It is my fave mod on the van.

-Julia
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon, I'm going somewhere with this, so puleeeeze post em if ya got em? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"floating" over the floor of the bench box with room underneath because intake/exhaust lines go out through the firewall, propane line routed inside the van. Room to the right of propex left for a third big battery to support future solar panel system.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Installed by Earl Mathiesen of Mathiesen Marine Services
Alameda, CA

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
chimivee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an "installer" by any stretch, but could offer a helping hand in exchange for a frosty beverage. My install under the rear bench:

Love this heater. Thanks, Karl!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:
"floating" over the floor of the bench box with room underneath because intake/exhaust lines go out through the firewall, propane line routed inside the van. Room to the right of propex left for a third big battery to support future solar panel system.

Any chance of getting a photo or two of the connections on the propane line? I am extremely worried when it comes to propane line connections, which I will reveal more about later in this topic - basically a well-known vendor almost gassed a customer because of their ineptitude in the installation.

There should be no cutting of lines to tee inside the van, unless the tee is firmly mounted on a wall and the connections are flare type. I'm curious how the installer did this one.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no tee inside the van, one flared conection just before the line leaves the inside of the van at the bottom of the sink cabinet. Connection is in the air, meaning not secured to a wall or floor. Tested with soapy water for leaks, found a very very slow and teeny leak, tightened the connection and it is gone. CO detector installed inside the van. I will take pics this weekend.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chimivee wrote:
I'm not an "installer" by any stretch, but could offer a helping hand in exchange for a frosty beverage. My install under the rear bench:

Overall, a very clean install. A couple comments here, however, in hopes you'll take them constructively, as I want every customer to be safe:
I note that this is an EX1800, the first model heater I imported, and we've made some minor changes and offerings since that would 'clean up' my worries here. We now supply a 90-degree gas fitting as standard fitment with each heater. Ideally, in your case the copper line would have been carefully bent/curved where you installed the two lightweight 90-degree ells (this type is designed for plastic tubing). The heater connection area is probably going to leak eventually with the combination of fittings. I can supply a 90 for the heater, then you could run the line directly through the floor and into the fitting. Also, on the supply end of the line, at the regulator, the tee you used is also the lightweight type. It would be safer connection to have added a tee to the regulator and avoid cutting the line. I now sell a 4-way to replace the original tee at the regulator and supply the additional port for the heater supply.

Love the shelf idea!
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:
no tee inside the van, one flared connection just before the line leaves the inside of the van at the bottom of the sink cabinet. Connection is in the air, meaning not secured to a wall or floor. Tested with soapy water for leaks, found a very very slow and teeny leak, tightened the connection and it is gone. CO detector installed inside the van. I will take pics this weekend.

So the fridge line was re-used for the heater supply, I'm thinking?
noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The connection into the Propex itself is a non-flare type. I assume that it's safe?

Some pics of my install can be found in this post. I do have a T mounted securely in the cabinet beside the fridge.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=155324
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a 12v/110v fridge and re-used the hole in the floor that was for the fridge line to pass the Propex line out to the regulator. Regulator setup is more complicated since I have 2 propane tanks with an autoregulator.

Last edited by madspaniard on Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noganav wrote:
The connection into the Propex itself is a non-flare type. I assume that it's safe?

Yes, the Propex-supplied fittings are a bit different and stronger. Normally a home supply store will only carry the lightweight type meant for plastic tube or thinwall water tubing for ice makers.
chimivee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:

Overall, a very clean install. A couple comments here, however, in hopes you'll take them constructively, as I want every customer to be safe:
I note that this is an EX1800, the first model heater I imported, and we've made some minor changes and offerings since that would 'clean up' my worries here. We now supply a 90-degree gas fitting as standard fitment with each heater. Ideally, in your case the copper line would have been carefully bent/curved where you installed the two lightweight 90-degree ells (this type is designed for plastic tubing). The heater connection area is probably going to leak eventually with the combination of fittings. I can supply a 90 for the heater, then you could run the line directly through the floor and into the fitting. Also, on the supply end of the line, at the regulator, the tee you used is also the lightweight type. It would be safer connection to have added a tee to the regulator and avoid cutting the line. I now sell a 4-way to replace the original tee at the regulator and supply the additional port for the heater supply.

Love the shelf idea!

Really? Those fittings are not suitable for copper tubing?! I had no idea. What's unnerving is that - I don't remember where - but I'm sure I gathered info from the internet prior to the install. So there's some misinformation floating around out there.

The tee at the regulator was already there from the P.O. (I just replace with a new one).

Anyway, thanks for the feedback - this is very good info to know. I've actually uninstalled the Propex from that van to put it in another, so it will be nice to do it right this next time. Not to take sales away from you, but perhaps you can post the exact type of fittings that should be used.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl,

a CO detector is more suited for combustion issues, are there propane detectors that could be used inside the van to indicate a leak in a line? I'm thinking about installing the CO detector near the Propex and a propane detector inside the stove/sink cabinet.

Edit: I found this online

LP Gas Detectors are required on RVs . . .

ANSI A119.2 - Fire & Life Safety
3-4.8 LP Gas Detectors
"An LP gas detector must be installed in any RV that contains an LP gas appliance and an electrical system. The LP gas detector must be listed as suitable for use in recreational vehicles under the requirements of UL 1484 Residential Gas Detectors, and be installed according to the terms of its listing.
­RVIA Effective Date 9/96, Revised 9/99."

http://www.safe-t-alert.com/re1.htm

Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:
Karl,

a CO detector is more suited for combustion issues, are there propane detectors that could be used inside the van to indicate a leak in a line? I'm thinking about installing the CO detector near the Propex and a propane detector inside the stove/sink cabinet.

Edit: I found this online

LP Gas Detectors are required on RVs . . .

ANSI A119.2 - Fire & Life Safety
3-4.8 LP Gas Detectors
"An LP gas detector must be installed in any RV that contains an LP gas appliance and an electrical system. The LP gas detector must be listed as suitable for use in recreational vehicles under the requirements of UL 1484 Residential Gas Detectors, and be installed according to the terms of its listing.
­RVIA Effective Date 9/96, Revised 9/99."

http://www.safe-t-alert.com/re1.htm

IF you're concerned about leaks, you could use a combination unit CO/LP to limit the number of detectors you're wiring up. Also, per the directions, the location near the floor allows both detectors to operate properly. Sorry for the OT post.

ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that help:

If you need more just tel me.

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My propex was installed by a previous owner. I had the lines re-done by an RV service center near my house last year. I am not sure why they made a loop with the new line but it has worked great so far...

my propex is located directly above the propane tank. the heat outlet points towards the back seat and the vent points toward the sliding door

Bill
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful cabinet you have there Bill, very sweat!

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chimivee wrote:

Not to take sales away from you, but perhaps you can post the exact type of fittings that should be used.

The fitting set I sell comes from www.mcmaster.com:
4-way: 50785K234
1" nipple: 50785K153
90 degree ell: 50915K716
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftp2leta wrote:

If you need more just tel me.

Ben

Looks good, Ben, except that tee is another of the lightweight tees that don't work so well with the heavier propane tubing. The best connection method is as I posted in the last reply, and doesn't require cutting any lines.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: