Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fabricated heat channels
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwsteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject: Fabricated heat channels Reply with quote

I have a 67 bug in pretty bad shape that I want to start working on. It would need heat channels, front firewall, rear crossmembers, and a package tray, along with new pans. I have done all this before (on other bugs) using patch pieces and new channels and floor pans. I am considering fabricating the whole bottom perimeter of the body using square (or rectangular) tubing. It would resemble the 3" lift kits that are available, but I will not be lifting the body. I will form in the package tray with square tubing or angle and have the panels be removable for access to top of tranny and back (actually front) of motor. I saw a bug at a show once that had this done, but it was in order to lower it. The channels were raised and fit inside of door openings in order to get the body down several inches. It looked good, but it also took a lot of work. I also want to do something similar with the chassis. Maybe frame the perimeter again with tubing and use diamond plate aluminum pans. I just want to do something different and I think this would make for a very strong setup. I have been searching for pics or posts on other people doing this, but can't find much. I know it has been done, anyone know where to find any pics?
Thanks
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a lot of work to me Steve. My heater channels I put in my 67 were only $250 shipped. The nice danish ones. No fabbing, just clean up the old ones and weld them in. I'm sure you could do it, but will it be worth it in the end?
07 Boxster
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwsteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody has any pics?
hpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwsteve wrote:
Nobody has any pics?

It is on a ghia, but it may give you some ideas

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=175075&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

there are alternatives to stock heater replacements. Here are some pics. This is .095 square tube 2x3' steel. Very strong compared to stock and if you wanted a heater can be used. The tube that looks like a heat duct is used to duct air from the front vents to oil cooler fuel cooler etc.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

vwsteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. That is similar to what I want to do but I would like to also form the base of the front firewall and the rear crossmembers with heavy square tube and weld it all together. You would never have crushed up jack points again. I have one of those 3" body lifts laying around. I should be able to use that as somewhat of a template. I just figured it was done before and someone might have some pics for ideas.
Thanks.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All that Work to hack something together that you'll be Embarrassed about! Re-build with new/used parts and build a Nice VW with Resale Value not a hack! Twisted Evil
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
All that Work to hack something together that you'll be Embarrassed about! Re-build with new/used parts and build a Nice VW with Resale Value not a hack! Twisted Evil

Yeah its a real hack job

hpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it has shiny paint on good metal then I'm happy! If your using new rocker skins that's all that shows. Some people need More than just rockers. I just cut my second squareback up to order to ship to Nova Scotia to repair a notchback.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwsteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bet that ghia is stronger than any were from the factory. Do you have any more pics of the fabricating part of it?
hpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwsteve wrote:
I'll bet that ghia is stronger than any were from the factory. Do you have any more pics of the fabricating part of it?

Not my car, but maybe if you pm Bones 53 he will be able to help you out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: