Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aftermarket VDO Fuel Gauge and Sender
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lowdowndub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Aftermarket VDO Fuel Gauge and Sender Reply with quote

Hello-

My fuel gauge seems to have a mind of its own and I was curious if anyone has installed a VDO fuel gauge and sending unit in their van?

Which sending unit is appropriate and does the tank need to be removed for install?

Just looking for input on ease of installation and accuracy.

Of course pictures are always helpful.

85 Westy BTW.

Thanks
Ben
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben, I am 99% sure you have to drop the tank to access the sender unit on a Vanagon. I don't have any experience with using a VDO fuel gauge in a Vanagon, but I would suggest spending a little time trying to figure the stock one out before condeming it. Does your temp gauge work properly? They share the same voltage regulator.
lowdowndub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope the temp gauge doesn't work and the PO put in an aftermarket VDO.

-Ben
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben, I suppose if you are inclined to install the VDO fuel gauge you can. Not sure if you can use the stock vw fuel sender or not. It may read, but not accurately. Most sensors are resistance to ground. Since your temp guage is out, assuming the wiring is ok, most likely your guage problem can be traced to the voltage stabilizer/regulator on the back of the cluster or the printed circuit foil. I still think you would have a better result fixing the stock cluster. The regulator is a common part to many VW vehicles. Part number is 171 919 803. If it is the printed circuit, I believe new they are NLA. I see good used clusters for sale here on Samba and Fleebay. Good luck.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vanagon fuel level sender reads 560 ohms empty and 55 ohms full. I could not find a single aftermarket gauge that would work with the stock sender. The alternative would be to adapt a sender that matches the gauge that you want to use. In order to do this, you would need to drop the fuel tank and fabricate and adapter to mate the new sender to the Vanagon's fuel sender opening, which is not standard.

For the amount of work involved, if it were me, I would follow rsxsr's advice and fix the real culprit instead.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket VDO Fuel Gauge and Sender Reply with quote

lowdowndub wrote:
Hello-

My fuel gauge seems to have a mind of its own and I was curious if anyone has installed a VDO fuel gauge and sending unit in their van?

Which sending unit is appropriate and does the tank need to be removed for install?

Just looking for input on ease of installation and accuracy.

Of course pictures are always helpful.

85 Westy BTW.

Thanks
Ben

Hi
I have installed VDO Cockpit serie on my 89. I used : VDO 226002 10-180 ohms Fuel Level Sender that I got from JEGS.

The difference with your problem is that I am using this combination on an auxiliary tank not on the OEM tank. However it would be simple to just leave the OEM sending unit alone and cut of hole for the AFM sending unit.

Arrow 2nd however, I would not consider this operation on the main OEM tank and would definitely repair the original fuel level indicator system. Exclamation

Remember as I mentioned I use that combination on an auxiliary tank obviously aftermarket.

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
lowdowndub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like fixing the Stock Gauge would be the easier way.

Thanks for the input. I'm sure I'll be back asking how to fix voltage stab/reg.

-Ben
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: fuel gauge Reply with quote

I actually found something using the search function!! I too am having problems with a fuel gauge - I've replaced the voltage stabilizer, no joy - I don't want to get into dropping the tank to replace the sender though. Anyone have any trouble shooting tips?
jc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the temp gauge work?
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: gauges Reply with quote

No the temp gauge doen't work either - but I'm not worried about it as I plumbed in an h2o temp sensor and an aftermarket gauge to give accurate temperature readings. The fuel gauge is another matter though. It would be nice to have a visual idea of the remaining fuel in the tank. The van has an AAZ TD diesel in it, and fuel consumption is somewhere around 30mpg but it would still be nice to have a gauge.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile yes it would. Will fill tomorrow as I have no idea how much is left. Just had my speedometer changed from miles to km so if I top up I can see in km how far I've gone BUT would be nice see fuel level BUT if I have to do without it, well then I will. TY Exclamation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The temp guage and the fuel gauge share the voltage stabilizer on the back of the cluster. If both are failed you should trouble shoot at the cluster first. You should be able to work both gauges by grounding one of the nut studs through the foil with the key on and a 12volt test light.
Goshen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to locate a good sending unit that will work.. Egauges does have a universal one # SN38

This is the VDO 301-303 that i am using:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is the egauges link:

http://www.egauges.com/vdo_indS.asp?Sender=75_10ohms&PN=SN38

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Part Number: SN38
Range: Fuel Sender - 0-90 Ohms
Thread:
Warning Contact:
Compatibility: 0-90 Ohms
Notes: Tank Sender - 0-90 Ohm - Adjustable 6-24”. By Classic Instruments.
List Price: $41.00
Our Price: $34.85
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
redeyeksc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:29 am    Post subject: Digital fuel gauge Reply with quote

Has anyone tried on of these? http://www.intellitronix.com/fuel-gauges.html
I can't find any specs that verify the Ohm rating of the gauge. My 84 has a toast fuel gauge and I cannot find a replacement.
redeyeksc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

found this in another forum the procedure might work for us as well.

This procedure will wire the two fuel level senders in series so that the fuel level becomes the sum of the two.
Unfortunately, the Auto Meter gage is made to work with a maximum resistance of 270 ohms. When we add the 2 senders together, they total 500 ohms at Empty. To overcome this, I installed a 560 ohm resistor in parallel with the senders, to reduce the total resistance. However, this causes the resistance change to be non-linear from Full to Empty {for resistors in parallel, the total resistance RT=1/(1/R1+1/R2)} so the gage must be programmed using the values below.

This will cause the gage to remain on the Full mark until about the tank is about 7/8, and at 3/4 tank, the gage will read about 7/8. From 1/2 to Empty, the gage will be pretty accurate.

Refer to the schematic below for a description of what to do with the existing wiring.
1. Cut wire number 2759 at connector D6 (C2). If you don’t have a factory ECU, you won’t need to do this, as it obviously is not connected.
2. Connect wire number 1937 to ground.
3. Connect wire number 1936 to the purple lead for the fuel gage. Use a spade connector so that i

What do you guys think?
cvbill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel gauges use one of three differing ohm ranges. Get a gauge that is the same ohm rating as the VW gauge. I am currently using an Equus gauge (from O'Railly). Gauge is cheap, so go play with it. Mine is wired to stock VW sender, and is also wired to a Summit Racing universal fit (but specific ohm range) sender in my aux tank. I can switch between the two to get fuel levels in either tank ( I use the same type setup to read engine/trans temp. I have had VDO gauges, but gave up on them, their reputation far exceeds their quality. I have an extra good used Syncro fuel level sender if anyone is interested in it.
The whole stock gauge setup/system in the Syncro (to me) is an over-thought piece of junk
redeyeksc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a model number for that gauge, the only ones listed on that site stop at 240 ohms

Thanks for the reply.
cvbill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are addressing me Redeye, the gauge is:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/equ-8363/overview/

The values (instead of ohms) cited in the Bentley are of some unspecified units used by VW and are not useable, or needed. I did my own ohm measurements on a new VW sender and bought the corresponding gauge; ie, this one
redeyeksc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats good to know. I just replaced the sender in the fall so I will check before I order just to make sure.
Franagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket VDO Fuel Gauge and Sender Reply with quote

So you're saying that the VW fuel sender is actually 240 ohms empty, 33 ohms full?

My cluster is dying and I want to basically can everything and go with a full set of glowshift or speed hut gauges (leaning toward speedhut) and really am getting hung up on the fuel gauge. My stock one seems to work, but I am going to create a custom cluster getting rid of all the 'stock stuff' that leaves me wondering if I have a problem or if my gauges are just being dumb. I see a glowshift fuel gauge that is the 240/33 combination as well.

Can someone please confirm? I may just buy that gauge listed from Summit. Worth a check to me. If I go forward with the gauge from Summit, I'll report back.

Thanks all, good thread.

Fran
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: