Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bleeding the radiator with a Subaru 2.5....?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grahamlandguru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Bleeding the radiator with a Subaru 2.5....? Reply with quote

Hey all. Looking for advice or confirmation on this.

I've got an 87 Syncro with 2.5 Subaru motor.

My rear heater core was leaking, so I replaced it and got the upgraded switch. Clamped the hoses, and filled up the new heater core with antifreeze so to minimize air bubbles in the system. Went thru the normal procedure to 'burp'' the cooling system of air bubbles. We did the front of the vehicle up high on an incline, we got a little air out of the rear heater release valve. And a little air out of the front radiator as well. With the revs at 2500. We topped off fluids in the overflow. Drove it for 15 min. And redid this process again.

I never did get any fluid to come out of the radiator in the front.

Do I need to get the moter temp higher?

We used 50/50 premixed fluids. My obd2 said motor temp was 80 deg.

Any thoughts? I've driven for 30 min on the highway now and no temp problems, but a I also live in the mtns of Colorado and it's cold out....

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Bleeding the radiator with a Subaru 2.5....? Reply with quote

Use gravity. When bleeding the radiator, the rear of the vehicle must be higher than the front. This allows you to add the 50/50 anti-freeze and distilled water mix to the expansion tank and for the mixture to flow down towards the "burp" valve on the radiator.

I have never understood why so many Vanagon owners think gravity does not apply to Vanagons.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Bleeding the radiator with a Subaru 2.5....? Reply with quote

If you aren't getting fluid to come out then the threads must be clogged. Remove the bleeder and see if there is tape on the threads or something.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Bleeding the radiator with a Subaru 2.5....? Reply with quote

Park it on a hill such that the reservoir in the engine bay is higher than the bleeder screw on the radiator.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Bleeding the radiator with a Subaru 2.5....? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Park it on a hill such that the reservoir in the engine bay is higher than the bleeder screw on the radiator.

^^ What he said. After driving it around at operating temp, park it ass up and wait til it cools. Air will collect in the expansion tank and coolant will be drawn in from the overflow if the blue cap is working. Refill as required. I've checked the rad bleeder after doing this and there was no air.

88 auto Carat with 02 2.5L
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Bleeding the radiator with a Subaru 2.5....? Reply with quote

Bubbles rise. you want them to rise into the expansion tank.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
Grahamlandguru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bleeding the radiator with a Subaru 2.5....? Reply with quote

Sounds good everyone. And makes sense. I'll give that a shot today after work. I just got a little confused with the 3? Different methods I've read up on. I figured the rising temps and the higher rpms would force the fluids up and out of the radiator, with the way I tried it. We'll try rear in up and let gravity get the bubbles out that way. Thanks agin.!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Bleeding the radiator with a Subaru 2.5....? Reply with quote

If you have a spare front radiator hose you can do this to get the rear level above the radiator bleed bolt. I use distilled water to top off to avoid spilling coolant, or you could place a bucket underneath when you remove the hose.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
caseyl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Bleeding the radiator with a Subaru 2.5....? Reply with quote

I find this is the hardest part of the subaru swap. It takes me a few tires to bleed it correctly after I remove the engine for service.

I point the van up a hill, down a hill, let it heat up, cool down, etc.

Additional bleed ports located at high spots on the coolant pipes help.

I got much better at it after I built a "libby bong".

My 2.2 probably has a cracked head so that doesn't help much...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: