Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

my van is freezing!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThorAlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: my van is freezing! Reply with quote

Well, temperatures are at about -20C these days, an my van is suffering. Engine works as good as ever, fires right up and goes like stink (for a 1.6TD anyway Razz )

1. The gear linkage is slow, it works but I have to use force to change gears and they are sometimes hard to find.

2. The accelerator pedal is heavy, it returns ok but is real heavy to push? Anyone know a trick or do I need a new cable?

3. The clutch reacts slowly, if I dump it it will slip for several seconds before it takes, a lot more than it usually does.

4. Steering (servo) is heavy, apparently that is totally normal but I ask anyway in case someone have an idea.

5. There are lots of new noises coming from the van, is there anything that will make that happen in the cold? Seems to be coming from everywhere.

Thanks!
Thor

Ex-vans:
1990 Caravelle coach 1.6TD
1986 Transporter Double cab syncro 2.1 112hp

"I'm wrong so often... It's great!" - Adam Savage
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most of these sound like a thick lubrication issue to me.
probably work just fine @ 30c

I'd attend to the Clutch slow return. maybe a penetrating lube for the linkage & throwout arm.. Hmmm, maybe not going to have an effect, it's a bronze bushing isn't it? tacky in the cold. you'd want to add an assist spring from the clutch slave bracket to the throw out shaft maybe.

as for COLD van, Diesels are in very cold climates, especially when idling or just barely under throttle. it's that price you pay for a more efficient engine. they jut don't make any extra BTUs at idle or slight power.
even the TDIs would have a setup with actuall electric glow plugs immersed in the coolant system to add heat (and Alt laod I'd guess) to make the jetta sedans warm while idling in cold weather.

my suggestion, a supplimental heater, an Espar? or section off the front from the back via a plastic sealed curtain, so you're only needing to heat the front seats. you can use painters tape & a plastic drop cloth in a pinch. or build a wall from sturdier materials. I'd thought of a full bulkhead with a little pass thru door in the middle. right behind the front seat pedestals.

anyways anit winter a bytch?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThorAlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, i was thinking lubrication too, just don't know what to use and were to put it.

As for heat i don't have a problem, I have a block heater end 2000w heater inside so it's "hot" when I start and 5 minutes is enough to get heat out the vents Smile

Ex-vans:
1990 Caravelle coach 1.6TD
1986 Transporter Double cab syncro 2.1 112hp

"I'm wrong so often... It's great!" - Adam Savage
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the linkages, throwout bearing and cables with any grease or lube on or in them are subject to difficult movement as the temp. drops.
You already know this, sorry for reiterating.
I thaw my vans out in the shop with wood fired, radiant heated floors and than use them until they need another thaw.
We have had a lot of snow recently and the Syncros really get it all packed up in them if you go driving for fun in the storms.

You can add an inline coolant heater to keep the engine and interior a bit warmer when not in use.
I have seen diesel fuel, gas and electrical versions of the same unit.
They are found in Large cross country haulers and Semis.

dylan
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can run something like 0W-30 oil or ATF in your gear box for the winter, or find a locally available synthetic gear lube that you can run year around. (I have run 0w-30 synthetic motor oil in my boxes year around for years and have been happy with it.)

Cleaning everything well during the summer months and relubing with the right synthetic grease can be the ticket for free movement of parts during the cold of winter.

A fluid flush/replacement might help your clutch operate better.

Enough air in the tires might help your steering.

You might check to see how strong of a return spring someone has installed on your accelerator.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: