Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sold a thing for 10K +? Post up!!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Sold a thing for 10K +? Post up!! Reply with quote

Do things really sell for that kind of cash? I've been watching them recently, seen lots of nice ones for high dollar and some projects for the price of a 60's beetle vert in similar condition Shocked , but the only ones I've seen move off this site lately are a few bottom dwellers. Do you think it's because of the times that they aren't moving or is it just people trying to get their $ back for something they put more into than what it's worth. Old vws are a passion, lots of us have more $ into one than we can get back. Life sucks when all you think about is the bottom line.

Is a thing worth more than a 60's bug convertible?
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Sold a thing for 10K +? Post up!! Reply with quote

volksaddict wrote:

Is a thing worth more than a 60's bug convertible?

Yes- especially if it's been Baja'd. Wink

I'd start thinking about selling it at a offer of $10k

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.

Last edited by crofty on Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought mine here for 3500 I think and put a 1000 into it. Had it down south and was offered 6K for it. If I would have had the title I would have turned it. Had 2 people offer to buy it. Neither person ever heard of the samba, so they thought things were rare. But they are pretty easy to find.
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
especially if it's been baja'd

I didn't mean that one, you've been reading my ads Laughing
Just meant generically, seems that dollar for dollar one can find a comparable condition 60's bug convertible for the asking price of a 73, 74 thing. And I don't mean to dis the thing, it's got it's own coolness factor, and isn't comparable to a beetle for it's intended use. Mostly curious to hear if anyone has actually gotten the high dollar for one.
Van-go108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen what Things sell for in the Hemmings Motor News Classifieds? I paid $5,000 for mine locally. I'm not sure I'd want to sell mine for 10,000.

She's way better than a Bug. IMHO Cool

1973 Thing
1957 Continental Mark II Click to view image
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

volksaddict wrote:
Quote:
especially if it's been baja'd

I didn't mean that one, you've been reading my ads Laughing
Just meant generically, seems that dollar for dollar one can find a comparable condition 60's bug convertible for the asking price of a 73, 74 thing. And I don't mean to dis the thing, it's got it's own coolness factor, and isn't comparable to a beetle for it's intended use. Mostly curious to hear if anyone has actually gotten the high dollar for one.

They have always been a little pricey. Mine wasn't cheap either (5k) and it had been sitting for years. I replaced all the brakes, added an engine, shocks, a hard top and spent a lot of hours cleaning it up.

when I picked it up

part way through..

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric Goodman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been collecting cars for years and it is the old saying "it is not what it is worth but what someone will pay for it". I think a very nice original or restored Thing is worth 10K+ (I would not sell mine for that but I am not going to sell it) anyone that has restored one knows if you get all the correct parts it cost allot of money to do it right. I have over 15k in mine (paid 6K a few years ago). Yes, you can buy one for 3k but if you fix everything it will cost you allot in the end. But some just buy and drive not wanting to fix everything if it runs... I think a very nice Things are rare but there are alot of dirvers just like old bug. Smile
www.Facebook.com/vwthingregistry
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dells68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently saw a very nice thing at Circle Yer Wagens in Pigeon Forge, TN. It was absolutely beautiful. Come to find out, it was featured in HotVWs and was sold at Barrett Jackson a few years ago ----------------------------- for $39,600 Shocked Some pics are posted in the Gallery under Circle Yer Wagens - it is the beige one that appears stock with the exception of 3" of lift and 15" bus rims. I'd post a link, but I haven't figured that one out yet Embarassed
Eric Goodman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I was there when that car sold... We go to BJ every year. Will be there the end of this month. Also Larry that owns the Thing Shop has one of his many personal Things for sale on his web site now. When I was at his shop last year I looked at his cars and all where nicer then any Thing I have ever since at BJ!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric Goodman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From BJ web site:

1973 VOLKSWAGEN THING 4 DOOR CONVERTIBLE 1973 VOLKSWAGEN THING 4 DOOR CONVERTIBLE LAS VEGAS 2009 14k
1973 VOLKSWAGEN THING CONVERTIBLE 1973 VOLKSWAGEN THING CONVERTIBLE PALM BEACH 2009 20k
1973 VOLKSWAGEN THING CONVERTIBLE 1973 VOLKSWAGEN THING CONVERTIBLE SCOTTSDALE 2009 16k
1974 VOLKSWAGEN THING CONVERTIBLE 1974 VOLKSWAGEN THING CONVERTIBLE LAS VEGAS 2008 19k
1973 VOLKSWAGEN THING CONVERTIBLE 1973 VOLKSWAGEN THING CONVERTIBLE PALM BEACH 2008 18k
1973 VOLKSWAGEN THING CONVERTIBLE 1973 VOLKSWAGEN THING CONVERTIBLE PALM BEACH 2008 11k
1974 VOLKSWAGEN THING CUSTOM CONVERTIBLE 1974 VOLKSWAGEN THING CUSTOM CONVERTIBLE PALM BEACH 2008 23k
1974 VOLKSWAGEN THING CONVERTIBLE 1974 VOLKSWAGEN THING CONVERTIBLE SCOTTSDALE 2008 23k
1974 VOLKSWAGEN THING 4 DOOR CONVERTIBLE 1974 VOLKSWAGEN THING 4 DOOR CONVERTIBLE SCOTTSDALE 2008 14k
1973 VOLKSWAGEN THING CUSTOM CONVERTIBLE 1973 VOLKSWAGEN THING CUSTOM CONVERTIBLE SCOTTSDALE 2008 27k
1974 VOLKSWAGEN THING 4 DOOR CONVERTIBLE 1974 VOLKSWAGEN THING 4 DOOR CONVERTIBLE SCOTTSDALE 2008 33k
1973 VOLKSWAGEN THING CONVERTIBLE 1973 VOLKSWAGEN THING CONVERTIBLE SCOTTSDALE 2008 33k
1973 VOLKSWAGEN THING CONVERTIBLE 1973 VOLKSWAGEN THING CONVERTIBLE PALM BEACH 2007 31k
1973 VOLKSWAGEN THING PICKUP 1973 VOLKSWAGEN THING PICKUP SCOTTSDALE 2007 31k
1974 VOLKSWAGEN THING CONVERTIBLE 1974 VOLKSWAGEN THING CONVERTIBLE SCOTTSDALE 2007 22k
1973 VOLKSWAGEN THING CONVERTIBLE 1973 VOLKSWAGEN THING CONVERTIBLE SCOTTSDALE 2007 39k
1974 VOLKSWAGEN THING CONVERTIBLE 1974 VOLKSWAGEN THING CONVERTIBLE SCOTTSDALE 2007 13k
1973 VOLKSWAGEN THING CONVERTIBLE 1973 VOLKSWAGEN THING CONVERTIBLE SCOTTSDALE 2005
1974 VOLKSWAGEN THING CONVERTIBLE 1974 VOLKSWAGEN THING CONVERTIBLE SCOTTSDALE 2004
Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats the link on that web site?
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crofty, that looks nice. Again, a 60's vert bug in orig, oxidized paint would be worth all of the 5k you paid and then some. I have not seen anything like yours around here for 5k lately. BJ auctions, that's another story. Only proves that people with more money than sense like things too.
Eric Goodman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/archivecarlist.aspx
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

volksaddict wrote:
Crofty, that looks nice. Again, a 60's vert bug in orig, oxidized paint would be worth all of the 5k you paid and then some. I have not seen anything like yours around here for 5k lately. BJ auctions, that's another story. Only proves that people with more money than sense like things too.

Thanks. After I decide I needed one i looked for a while before I found mine. It was actually listed for $7k because it had a rebuild motor and disc brake front end neither of which I wanted.

Why are they more? I don't know. Fewer were made than bug verts i guess.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a little confused... I see 96 here online on the samba (usa) and some around 3k that look darn good... That auction site is wild... Must be rich kids looking for toys...
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the question is why would someone pay more for a Thing than a convertible bug, the answer is self evident. Wink
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Spalding wrote:
If the question is why would someone pay more for a Thing than a convertible bug, the answer is self evident. Wink

Because they can.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

sixty9fasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Captain Spalding wrote:

Because they WILL .

Fixed it Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Corinthiano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't run with the BJ crowd, and don't know of anyone who has a Thing that is up to the BJ standard, either. So back to the core question, of the people on this website has anyone bought or sold one for $10,000 or more?

You an ask any price you want, but that's irrelevant. The going price isn't what's being asked, it's what people are actually paying.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corinthiano wrote:
Well I don't run with the BJ crowd, and don't know of anyone who has a Thing that is up to the BJ standard, either.
Allow me to introduce myself . . . Wink

There are plenty of folks on this board with Barrett-Jackson-worthy Things. By the way, Barrett-Jackson has no standard. They merely ask that you represent your car honestly. They make you sign a paper stating that you are representing your car honestly. They don't verify any of your claims, except to note that your car is shiny and can be rolled up onto the auction block.

Cars that fetch that much fall into 3 categories:
Original cars in good condition.
Recent stock restorations in excellent condition.
Modified cars in excellent condition whose modifications were both well conceived and well crafted.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: