Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sold a thing for 10K +? Post up!!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DannyK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What IS the question anyway? I don't care what my Acapulco is supposedly worth. I have been offered well over ten grand for it, so what ! I bought it because I like it, I enjoy driving it and its NOT for sale !
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn that looks sweet..... Love that blue...
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So back to the core question, of the people on this website has anyone bought or sold one for $10,000 or more?
Van-go108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dells68 wrote:
I recently saw a very nice thing at Circle Yer Wagens in Pigeon Forge, TN. It was absolutely beautiful. Come to find out, it was featured in HotVWs and was sold at Barrett Jackson a few years ago ----------------------------- for $39,600 Shocked Some pics are posted in the Gallery under Circle Yer Wagens - it is the beige one that appears stock with the exception of 3" of lift and 15" bus rims. I'd post a link, but I haven't figured that one out yet Embarassed

This one?

I was interested in what you said, "appears stock with the exception of 3" of lift and 15" bus rims", which sounds Juicy Drool But, I don't see that on this Thing.

1973 Thing
1957 Continental Mark II Click to view image
dells68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep! That's the one. I guess I meant that there are no outrageous mods on the outside that give away the beast lurking underneath. It's got a bigger displacement motor, custom rollbar, beard seats, and nice sound system. It's a really nice subtle ride Smile I like the steel wheels and mellow color. I'd been trying to decide what color I want to paint mine this summer, but I'm thinking toward a nice beige or pale color like a very light green after seeing this one.
bornred62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the owner of the red thing that was just featured in Hot VWs.
Rebuilt from the ground up. As with all of my projects I will sell it in the near future. I HOPE someone is willing to pay somewhere close to what i've got tied up in it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bornred62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I thought I knew how to post a pict. to go along with it.
But alass it appears I'm a dumbass. If you would like to see it search
bornred62 in the gallery section you can find a pict. or 2 there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bornred62 wrote:
Sorry I thought I knew how to post a pict. to go along with it.
But alass it appears I'm a dumbass. If you would like to see it search
bornred62 in the gallery section you can find a pict. or 2 there.

This one ?

When you click on the image in your gallery, just copy and paste the "forum code". Always click on "preview" to see if everything's OK.
1976 181/Thing, 1967 fastback, 1973 squareback, 1964 microbus, 1967 Double Cab, 1969 westfalia (currently under resto), 1972 LM1C dune buggy, 1974 jean's bug, 1974 1303 (super beetle, currently under reassembly after new paint).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73thingsale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Unscientific approach... Reply with quote

Doing a quick simple Completed Listing search on eeeeBayyy shows 17 Things have closed since Dec 30. Only two have sold and one went for 2,200 and the other for 4,800. All the rest, mostly between 7,500 and 17,000 closed with no sale.

I would have to say I hope there are buyers out there that would recognize the labor and parts that go into a $10k + restoration. I have one I'm trying to sell now. Presently, I take comfort thinking that nobody wants to buy a convertible at this time while temps are in the teens and twenty's. Perhaps in the Spring when people's thoughts turn to top-down cruising we sellers will have better luck.

Myself, I'm in the unpleasant situation of trying to sell a summertime fun car to buy another, a vanagon camper. So while most camper owners who got their last camping season in already want to unload their campers so they don't have to store them over the winter, and I need to sell a convertible just at the wrong time in order to take advantage of the perceived busy marketplace right now for vannies. I suspect if one still owns the van come Spring, it's likely that it will be used for another season rather than continue to try and sell. Maybe I'll look into that BJ auction next time around. Smile
bornred62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats it Thanks
Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bornred62 wrote:
Thats it Thanks

You're very welcome Cool . Really cool Thing...
1976 181/Thing, 1967 fastback, 1973 squareback, 1964 microbus, 1967 Double Cab, 1969 westfalia (currently under resto), 1972 LM1C dune buggy, 1974 jean's bug, 1974 1303 (super beetle, currently under reassembly after new paint).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric Goodman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1974 Acapulco Thing that was in the auction sold $20,000. I looked at it and it was nice! Also went to the Thing shop and looked at Larry's Acapulco that he has for sale from his private collection... About the same price.
www.Facebook.com/vwthingregistry
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevehenderson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prices on old cars are down about 1/2 in the last year in general
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: