Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

3-way windshield washer nozzles old topic any New Ideas ??
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
v.dubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Gerdes, ive tried emailing you back but your email keeps bouncing. Can you pm me on here and ill give you my paypal details

Regards
Dave
v.dubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got you message ok, thank you Steve. Two sets leaving the Uk tonight for you. Very Happy
Thank you for your order.
Mundopacheco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed pair of the Smart Car nozzles. I did the pass side first and it would not come out. Eventually it snapped, one half of the nozzle flying to the heavens and the other half hanging at the end of the tubing, but on the wrong side of the nose. I could grab it easily, but not pull it though the hole. I finally got it out by shaving the remaining nozzle, carefully with a blazing hot L shaped pick, then it was just a matter of securing it with while installing the new nozzle. Early on in this thread, someone correctly stated that to remove the stock nozzle, it's a quarter turn. This turns out to be true, clockwise or counter-clockwise. Someone later posted that it was less than a quarter turn. From my experience, I don't find that to be accurate, but I do see that just about anything can happen while performing this little task.
Also, I think it's valuable to mention that once you receive your new nozzles and you step up to the plate, staring at your original nozzles, all kinds of harrowing things will cross your mind......this is not for the meek. Go ahead, grab those little nubs with your channel locks and twist!
One final note is that the Smarts poppped right in. It is not a factory fit, but close.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're replumbing nozzles, go down to the FLAPS and get a check valve, they sell them in that area where there are packaged general fix-it parts like generic window cranks and such, although thise have two different nipple sizes so you ave to improvise. Or ask for one over the counter, lots of cars were equipped with them, and you can probably find one with the right niple sizes on both ends.

Install the check valve in the feed line as close to the first nozzle as practical. Eliminates the long wait while wondering if the washer fluid will ever appear. I just redid my rear wiper (motor rattled apart, and the fluid hose was broken at the hinge point long ago) and the check valve I installed is great, the washer squirts as soon as you activate the wiper so the blade isn't just dragging dry in the dirt that accumulates on the rear window.

If you're a little short on the tubing, it will serve to extend it a couple inches, too.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mundopacheco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10C, that's a bang up idea, but I don't see why you couldnt install the check valve close to the pump discharge, where it would be an easier task and the check would work even better, as the seal would be assisted by the added weight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

next to the nozzle means less response time , more water column inside the tubing...I guess

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
v.dubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volvo 850's had a few none retun valves in the lines. It may be worth looking at those? T.hey have a 90 deg one fitted on the tailgate washer jet
Mundopacheco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the more you have on top of the check, the better seal you will get.....
v.dubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volvo part:
http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?products_id=6512
Mundopacheco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me that the Volvo check valves are likely not spring loaded, judging by the shape. One little detail that has been left out, is that a check valve will create a restriction, to some degree. Evidently, the one 10C uses doesn't restrict the flow enough to mention. What I'm getting at here, is that you could install one that wouldn't work well with the stock Vanagon pump, which begs another question, 'is there a higher output pump that someone has successfully fitted into the Vanagon?'
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I'm not going to spend time thinking too much about it, it's just a suggestion seeing as the thread is about replacing the frogs. If you have a frog out then you have the end of the tubing right there in your hot little hand, so might as well add a check to it. It's that way on lots of cars, but VW was too cheap to include this nice little feature, I guess. The one I added to my rear window works great.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.

Last edited by tencentlife on Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Audis have an inline valve too. I think some higher end VWs too. That is what I use. Lift the front lid and look for the washer line and follow it. 5 seconds and you got it.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled this one from a late '80s vanagon a few years ago. Was located right behind upper grill. I put it in my '82 westy, same location on washer line, seemed to work.

I don't know if its a stock item, I haven't noticed it on factory diagrams.

I'm taking my '82 westy apart these days, so I pulled the unit for a pic. It doesn't seem to be doing a good job at "checking" when I try the old blow and suck on it Smile
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
Mundopacheco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes the little things fascinate me. This one in particular, because, after installling the Smart Nozzles, I sat there wishing the liquid would hit the glass before the wipers started sweeping, but a check valve never crossed my mind. I'll be doing this one......for shizzle.
onwardtothestars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
Some Audis have an inline valve too. I think some higher end VWs too. That is what I use. Lift the front lid and look for the washer line and follow it. 5 seconds and you got it.

I know for sure they're on a 5000/100/200.... which is easy to snag in a pull a part type yard
v.dubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting another batch of washer jets ready for shipping this weekend, so if you would like a set give me a shout asap.
Thanks
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My washers direct from Mercedes.....now I have to put them in.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
vw54john
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave, PayPal'd you money for a set awhile back and emailed you but have received no response. Maybe you haven't gotten my emails... It happens. Anyway, could you please check your email and/or respond here on the forum. Can't wait to get a set of these. Thanks in advance!
v.dubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John, they are on the way. I took them to the Post Office about a week ago and the Post Master said it was best to hold them back for a short while due to the air mail system being a nightmare due to flights being cancelled due to the Volcanis ash business. Aparantely stuff was getting piled up in the delays. BUT, they are on the way and you should recieve soon. Sorry for the delay
GMByers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So last week I was in the States and had a new Dodge Grand Caravan for my rental vehicle.
The windshield washers sprayer out in a wide pattern and they looked like they might be adjustable.

I wonder if they would make a reasonable replacement for the Vanagon washers. Anyone want to try it?

I would try it myself, but I don't have any of my VWs with me here in Korea.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: