Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

3-way windshield washer nozzles old topic any New Ideas ??
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
unclekenz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 3-way windshield washer nozzles old topic any New Ideas ?? Reply with quote

Franklinstower wrote:
Fyi,
The suzuki swift sx4 washer nozzles are a direct fit 3 way nozzle.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=692425

Why pay much more elsewhere? See this for a pair, free shipping, seller feedback excellent:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Car-Windshield-Washer-...ect=mobile

Buy two pair because it fits rear hatch windscreen washer also Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 3-way windshield washer nozzles old topic any New Ideas ?? Reply with quote

unclekenz wrote:
free shipping,

um, try again

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 3-way windshield washer nozzles old topic any New Ideas ?? Reply with quote

um, unkelkenz gets free shipping (aussie), 'mericans like you and me have to look elsewhere.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
unclekenz wrote:
free shipping,

um, try again

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
unclekenz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 3-way windshield washer nozzles old topic any New Ideas ?? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
um, unkelkenz gets free shipping (aussie), 'mericans like you and me have to look elsewhere

No worries fellas.
Get Donald Trump on the blower to buddy Xi Jinping, that should sort it. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ProvoCyclist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 3-way windshield washer nozzles old topic any New Ideas ?? Reply with quote

Just out here dealing with title issues, so why not resurrect a pretty dead thread?

Ive recently been infatuated with the little Kei trucks from Japan. Tiny, tiny pickup trucks basically. BUT, one thing ive noticed is the windscreen sprayers: They are perfect for what we need. 1" long (or longer if you need), dual nozzle, and bolts in from behind (the only downside ive seen). The ones ive seen are from a 1990 Suzuki Carry, part number 38480-80000.

Just another possible option for those that are looking.

Past: 1985 Sunroof GL, 2wd, Subaru 3.3L, manual trans, resprayed to Diamond Silver L97A
Twan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 3-way windshield washer nozzles old topic any New Ideas ?? Reply with quote

I'd really like to find one that sprays in a fan pattern rather than the 3 individual streams. On my 4Runner, I was able to use Honda Odyssey nozzles that snapped right in. They were way easier to adjust than the individual stream sprayers too.
Chilepines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: 3-way windshield washer nozzles old topic any New Ideas ?? Reply with quote

I’m stuck trying to figure out how to replace the nozzles in the first place. The GoWesty video shows just popping them out and popping the new one in, with a long and freely mobile hose behind. Mine don’t seem to come out so easily and I’m concerned I’m going to break it and leaves hose hidden behind the dash. The Bentley is not so clear either.
Any suggestions for how to pull the nozzle out?
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: 3-way windshield washer nozzles old topic any New Ideas ?? Reply with quote

Don't bother--convert to a wet arm. Far, far better than nozzles.

Duncan
Chilepines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: 3-way windshield washer nozzles old topic any New Ideas ?? Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:

How would I do that? Don't I still need to get the current nozzle out to get to the fluid line?
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: 3-way windshield washer nozzles old topic any New Ideas ?? Reply with quote

I dont recall having to do much to get them out. After I just used hose clamps to keep it from slipping back in. Maybe use a plastic trim tool to get under it to sort of pop it off.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: 3-way windshield washer nozzles old topic any New Ideas ?? Reply with quote

Chilepines wrote:
DuncanS wrote:

How would I do that? Don't I still need to get the current nozzle out to get to the fluid line?
No, you just abandon the nozzles and leave them there and run new hoses which is very easy.

Duncan
Chilepines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: 3-way windshield washer nozzles old topic any New Ideas ?? Reply with quote

I can get under the nozzle and it is pulled out about 1 cm, but it does not want to come out further than that. Is the line coming straight into the end of the nozzle? Is there some length to it that I can work with? Or is there a 90 degree fitting there, as shown in some of the replacement options? If I lose the washer fluid hose, is it going in behind the dash, or is that accessible from under the grill (doesn't seem like it is)?
do.dah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: 3-way windshield washer nozzles old topic any New Ideas ?? Reply with quote

You hafta turn the nozzle one way or the other, about 90 degrees, then it should just pull out. Think twist and lock.
If they don't twist/rotate, try a channel lock that just barely or loosely grips the nozzle.
I used a clothes pin to hold the hose while swapping nozzles.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: 3-way windshield washer nozzles old topic any New Ideas ?? Reply with quote

Chilepines wrote:
I can get under the nozzle and it is pulled out about 1 cm, but it does not want to come out further than that. Is the line coming straight into the end of the nozzle? Is there some length to it that I can work with? Or is there a 90 degree fitting there, as shown in some of the replacement options? If I lose the washer fluid hose, is it going in behind the dash, or is that accessible from under the grill (doesn't seem like it is)?

There is no slack. There is a T fitting under the instrument panel area. If you need to redo, I suggest you use the old hose as a messenger with a line SEWN to the end of the existing hose. Follow the line up from the washer reservoir Pull them down and out and you can then replace the entire mess. All of the hose is inside the car, none is in front of the area where the radiator is. Leave enough slack to get them on and then pull the slack out from the bottom so the wiper mechanism doesn't foul on the hose.

But really, wet arms are sooooooo much better.

Duncan
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: 3-way windshield washer nozzles old topic any New Ideas ?? Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
But really, wet arms are sooooooo much better.Duncan
Pictures or it didn't happen. Wink

Chilepines - the nozzles have a flare at the base (look at your new nozzles) and the sheet metal of the body has a corresponding notch. Grab the old nozzle with a pair of pliers, twist 1/4 turn and pull out. As noted there is very little excess hose but enough to grab with a pair of needle nose pliers or a thin clamp.
To get the old nozzle off the hose easily, use a heat gun (or hair dryer) to gently heat the hose, be careful don't over-do. If you feel there's enough extra hose you can trim the hose a bit to get a fresh cut end for the new nozzles.

Here's a picture of the hoses under dash. Double click to enlarge.

EDIT: Here's another picture showing the passenger side and the clip VW used to make this job more fun (and the routing through the wiper assembly!).
There is also another clip by the T intersection; these clips and the T make it impossible to replace the hose without pulling dash.

And all that is behind this in case you were thinking you could get your hand under there.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.

Last edited by MsTaboo on Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 3-way windshield washer nozzles old topic any New Ideas ?? Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
DuncanS wrote:
But really, wet arms are sooooooo much better.Duncan
Pictures or it didn't happen. Wink

I did it too, and it's not that great in my case: the sprayer is a 4 hole part that clips onto the arm, but the 2 top holes are spraying into the arm/wiper blade, using a modern big block blade is even worse, leaving you with the bottom 2 holes doing the job. Lots of work for a piss poor job in the end Laughing
The little silicone hose I use also got damaged several times going through bushes with the van in Central America, punctured by plants. Something to consider.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: 3-way windshield washer nozzles old topic any New Ideas ?? Reply with quote

Sorry not to get back sooner. Ms Taboo--Ye of little faith.

I stand by my claim. Here are some pics showing set up and spray distribution.
What the nozzles look like mounted up. Note in the top photo the L shape additions welded to the arm to get the nozzles away from the wiper and in front of it a it wipes. The Ls can be bent to adjust the spray pattern to the part of the glass you want.

From above showing the distance to the glass and relationship to the blade.

And the distribution.
For this pic the wiper was removed and a block of wood taped on the end of the arm at the height above the glass it normally is. Only squirted at the bottom of the stroke. Wiper blade lying on the glass below the arm to show that the water goes all the way to the end of the blade.

I'll bet this puts 3 times as much washer fluid on the glass as the stock squirters. And driving speed and wind don't matter at all. I've had these arms on at least 4 T3s over the past 20 years. Clean them up, repaint and put them on the next one.

If anyone cares, let me know and I'll make a topic on this conversion which I highly recommend. Inexpensive and it replaces all the 35 YO hose 'n stuff.

Duncan
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: 3-way windshield washer nozzles old topic any New Ideas ?? Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:

If anyone cares, let me know and I'll make a topic on this conversion which I highly recommend. Inexpensive and it replaces all the 35 YO hose 'n stuff.

Duncan

I'd really like to see that write up.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: 3-way windshield washer nozzles old topic any New Ideas ?? Reply with quote

OK, but it will take a while as there are tons of pre winter projects which need attention.

Duncan
Chilepines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: 3-way windshield washer nozzles old topic any New Ideas ?? Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:

There is also another clip by the T intersection; these clips and the T make it impossible to replace the hose without pulling dash.

I tried again yesterday and gave up before I broke it. I now know why I could get it to budge!
Would have been nice if GW didn't show this being a 5 second job!

I'll stick with my single wimpy nozzle for now!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: