Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wolfsburg West doglegs
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone asked what the going flat rate is at a body shop recently? I purchased a lot of WW sheet metal before Gersons became widely known and it was a nightmare to work with. What I have purchased from Mr. G took 1/3 the man hours to install. That's a big savings in my book even if his part is a few bucks more.
It's is nice though to see WW making a much better product than they had in the past, and they do sell a lot of quality repo parts IMHO. The hobby as a whole will benefit.

Last edited by TimGud on Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerson wrote:
I wish people could see how jackpoints are made, there are 2 cutting dies,3 bending dies, and an assembly/welding jig involved.....it costs thousands of dollars to make the tooling to make those right....in my opinion,one of the hardest part to replicate correctly on a bus.....yeah $40.00 bucks for a jackpoint is alot......but the investment to make those right is alot......looks like an easy part to make, not so.........

At the risk of sounding like a nutswinger, I like them

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no doubt that metal that fits correctly from the start is alot faster/easier to install. it's money in the bank imo. of course comparing gerson's product to the crap that used to be avalable is apples/oranges

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here my hand made jack points for my '67 panel. These required 3 press jigs, 2 for side "worms" and 1 for bendings (home made, one for all -tool). Jack points made of 2 mm sheet metal and inner part 4 mm steel as originals have.

Front:

rear

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Virtanen, I bet those were fun to make by hand....... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

we (klassicfab) make the funky green panels...........
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good work.. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

we (klassicfab) make the funky green panels...........

Last edited by Gerson on Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:59 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bagpipe goatee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virtanen, wow. Good work.
junichi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West doglegs Reply with quote

Very old thread that never really concluded. It would appear these are not perfect in form but has anyone actually fit one in the past 6 years since the last post that can let us know how it fit?

I am on a tight budget and these are a bit cheaper than the KF but still Appear to be a quality product. I read good things about the WW cargo rocker on here and got excited and ordered the dogleg as well.

does anyone have a first hand report on fitting a WW dogleg?
jeffavatech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West doglegs Reply with quote

Very Happy I just installed a set and had no real issues with them. Very happy with them.
6t3bird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West doglegs Reply with quote

I just finished doing a pair of the WW inner/outer doglegs as well, thought they fit pretty well and were easy to install since they come as one piece. BUT i will say I don't love the metal they are made with, a little to thin for me.
junichi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West doglegs Reply with quote

Thanks, folks. I have a couple autocraft floor ibeam s here and b and c-pillars from KF. Both fit well and are stock thickness or better. The hinge cutout on the b-pillar from KF is a bit crooked, but I don't think it will be too noticeable on installation.

Glad to hear the WW doglegs are a good fit. As is said in some other threads, it seems there is often a bit of fitting and modification necessary, even with top quality parts. At least we don't have to use the klokkerholm stuff anymore! I had some serious issues with their Bay window dogleg...
junichi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West doglegs Reply with quote

Got the WW dogleg today and posted about it on another thread. It looks to be well made and of good quality and thickness.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8229702#8229702
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: