Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering Wheel removal and swap with pictures.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Eurovan to Vanagon steering wheel mod Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I took the steering wheel off to fit a new column cover with thermometer in the seat heat slot as others have done. Much easier to fit the plastic column on with steering wheel off.
This shows the multi tool mod I made to the Eurovan wheel to prevent high/low beam wand interference. Cannot see it with wheel fitted.
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
stevey88 wrote:
I put in a steering wheel from an early Eurovan.

I like it. Now I need to find a leather one. Wonder what a new one costs? I bought a new leather wheel for our A4 when we got it. It was $220 from VW. Emm.......

In the mean time, I am going to use a nice leather A2 wheel I got. I await the little special adapter......($11 shipped.)

FWIW, I installed the leather cover from Van-Cafe. The thickness of the rim was too small for my big paws. I wanted more "heft" without a wheel transplant. The leather cover did the job exactly as I hoped for.

The big tip is to be very, very, very obsessive about pulling the stitching tight. Done right, the edges of the cover will meet and stay close to each other, even as the leather begins to setting in and pick up the contours of the bumps on the under side of the wheel.

And, of course, center the seam at the bottom of the rim. Once the lacing starts, there's little hope for adjusting the positioning. On the places where the cover goes over the spokes, try to use a lacing hole that's actually over the edge of the spoke. That way the cover will shape itself to the spoke, otherwise... well, it just doesn't look quite right with a somewhat loose flap over the spokes. YMMV, of course.

I can't comment on the change in wheel diameter when transplanting a wheel. Our Westy has power steering. Still, I'm glad for the extra diameter when doing tight K turns in a limited space. It makes getting the wheels around a little faster and easier, even when I let the van roll a bit (avoids scuffing and flatting the tread).
Volkska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean swap! Looks killer! Applause
1986 Honda Elitee 150 awaiting a title
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While reviewing this thread, an (I hope) interesting thought occurred to me. The replacement wheel suggested the notion of installing an airbag capable wheel. It's not the same as a full-on airbag system, of course, but has anyone ever tried this? I assume there are problems with the added wiring needed for the bag inflator, and adding the needed sensor(s). NTL, it might be a step forward in improving the odds for a survivable crash.
narendra.vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this thread & bringing it back. Since my van is now running with power steering, OE bigger dia steering wheel is very sensitive. so, I want to replace it for smaller dia steering wheel.
svenakela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eurovan -92. Bolt on.
Found out that the slip ring for the horn was worn out on the original wheel, so the upgrade had a bonus steering column renovation effect.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smurfpike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
They have a better feel and different positions to put your hand that is more comfortable to me, the spoke across the top is sloped and feels better on the wrist than the straight stock one. The minor problem is that the high beam is a little harder to engage/disengage since the base is wider and it touches the stalk when you pull it up.

syncrodoka
I just bought a 93 Eurovan steering wheel and have not installed it yet on my 87 Syncro camper but I was wondering is it possible to put a thin washer under the steering wheel before you mount it to the column so that the high beam switch will work better?

IG Westyrestorations
FB WestyRestorations, parts and accessories

1987 Syncro "Big Red", Full restoration thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=606596

1978 Westy Camper, Full ground up restoration, restoration thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=593413
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheel removal and swap with pictures. Reply with quote

Second Jetta wheel swap, this wheel had the larger spline than the first. I had to go back to the Yard to get the adapter.

Install much the same as the first but had to cut down the adapter to make it fit the column.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheel removal and swap with pictures. Reply with quote

Joined the EV Wheelers gang today, installed in my '87!! LIKE.. Going to keep my eyes peeled for the '92 version still though! That one looks nice! This one is okay. I took more off the back than I should have, but oops, who will ever know (unless I sell it, then full disclosure!)

I happened to grab a Cabrio Wheel at the you-pull a while back, in Brown.. funny how I was not going to use it, and now I can, since I got the '86 with BROWN (Ugh) interior... News at 11!

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheel removal and swap with pictures. Reply with quote

More good ideas here...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

DuncanS wrote:
Finally finished my wood wheel--very proud of it--wudyatink?

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
I just installed my Eurovan wheel. It's a little thicker than the manual wheel I had on before and little less diameter (so I'm back to losing the tops of the gauges) but it feels solid and looks good. I like it.

I was just reading through this thread and happened upon my post from ten years ago. Shocked I still have this wheel buried somewhere in the garage, and now I want to find it and try it out on this van. ​

Thanks for the memory assist. Smile

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheel removal and swap with pictures. Reply with quote

I took too much off the back side of my EV wheel, but I'm okay with it, as I don't often look behind a steering wheel anyway, BUT, here is the deal:

The removal of the material is so you can switch bright/dim headlight. How often do you need to change bright/dim when you are turning more than a few degrees?

My point is that really, taking off material only in the space on the left where you need room to pull the stalk back would suffice, since nearly always, you would be driving mostly straight on. If/when I get another EV wheel, I will try to remember that. I'd say that only about 3 inches of the radius on the left back would be enough.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheel removal and swap with pictures. Reply with quote

Found it in my garage in a box under another box. I'm going to try it out for a while and if I want to keep it on there, I'll add a wheelskin.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheel removal and swap with pictures. Reply with quote

Fresh Wheelskin. I've done a few of these but really had to wrestle with this one to get it stitched up tight, a bit of short-term hand pain for long-term hand comfort.

One thing I've learned is that you have to take your time and be as precise and careful as possible when stitching on one of these covers because you're going to feel any imperfections in your work every single time you steer the van.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: