Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Soap-stained Nose
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Soap-stained Nose Reply with quote

I'd like to find recommendations on how to handle an issue that's really bugging me...

First things first, I did something really boneheaded.

I drove my Vanagon through a car wash a while back without remembering to take the bra off of the front. I am aware that leaving the bra on traps moisture underneath and promotes rust. What I didn't realize was that the soap from the car wash was also trapped under there.

I removed the bra a few weeks later (having completely forgotten that I'd gone through the carwash,) and found huge swaths of curvy white patches all over the nose above the upper grill. I have tried to remove these blotches by washing and in a more desperate attempt by using bug & tar remover and elbow grease, but with no luck.

I read an article online that talked about removing water and soap spots with white vinegar, but I don't want to destroy what's left of the clear coat.

Does anybody have any ideas for how to remove these big white blotches that won't completely destroy the paint and/or clearcoat?

I don't want people thinking that my Vanagon has a coke problem.

Thanks

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
seanjenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used T3 Resin Glaze on all of my vans in the past. I don't have the bottle infront of me but I think it's safe for clear coat. It hasn't bothered the clear coat on either my current van or my previouse one. Removes all kinds of unwanted scuffs and blemishes. Sometimes it can be hard to find but the Mcguckin's hardware in Boulder carries it, $6 or so.
camerahunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water put it on, water will take it off. You can drape wet towels over the front and wait for it to soften up and be gone. I don't think Vinegar can remove clear coat, it's not paint remover, it's a mild acid, very mild at that. Many bathroom cleaners will do it. Remember they are designed to clean softer surfaces like fiberglass so they will be very gentle on a vehicle paint job.

Thank you,

David
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses!

David, I think I'll try your method this weekend (assuming my garage is above freezing) and see if I can get this stuff off.

Sean, I found the TR-3 on Amazon. The reviews are very positive; I wonder why it's not more readily available?

http://tinyurl.com/yh4v9jl

I'm ordering a can to see what it can do!

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
seanjenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My isea on it lack of availability is that it's kind of an old school product and they never did much advertising anyway. I got turned on to it by an older paint and body guy I worked with.
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it were me I wouldn't use vinegar, it's stronger than you think

I would use a polishing coumpound ,you can use it by hand or if a little more muscle is needed use a foam pad on an angle grinder, the foam pads are much more gentle than a cloth one and much less likely to burn.

If the polishing compound won't cut it just use a light grit rubbing coumpound followed by the polishing compound.

In college I worked at a body shop and buffed out cars, bras really take their toll on a paint job over time.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3-M Finesse will take the stain right off the nose.
It's available at any local body shop supply.

Great for clear coat finishes.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I laid some towels on it last night and was able to scrub some of it off.

I found the TR3 at Checker Auto and tried that with no luck.

I haven't been able to source the 3M stuff yet.

This stuff is really, really on there thick:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

I've been refinishing all kinds of vehicles for an awfully long time--and I gotta tell ya I've never seen just soap screw up paint this bad on anything--

It's a WOW moment--

It looks like the clear just sucked up the soap ,and destroyed it.

Try this---and don't worry it's evasive surgery.

Get some dawn in a pail --mix it with warm water, and with some 1500 wet sanding paper gently hit a small area.

I like & use 3-M stuff, so get some 3-M heavy duty rubbing compound and rub the sanded area.

Then rub the area with a diaper with some Finesse on it and it should look clear again.

Wow---that looks like double Ca-Ca--
And I can't imagine any urethane clear coat sucking up moisture / soap like that--

Unless the Van had been repainted,and it wasn't urethane clear coated.

This one is really a puzzler--

Hit it with 1500 in a small spot and see it it clears up--
If it doesn't--I'd say you got the Tide look--

Another WOW-

Last edited by Terry Kay on Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take pride in the fact that I just got a WOW out of you, Terry. Very Happy

If I have the time tomorrow I'll get on it again and try your plan out.

I'm pretty sure this is original paint, but it was not in the best shape before.

Let this be a warning to bra-wearers--be sure to take it off before you hit a drive-through car wash!!!!

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

What's a real mystery here is I've got braziere's on two of my Van's, run them through the car wash all the time--and neither one of them ever had the paint attacked like this .

Maybe the soap the wash was using was super caustic or something wild like that, and then getting trapped between the Bra & the paint ate the clear up---
Caustic Soda won't attack a urethane based paint--usually.

Who Know's?

If the 1500 ( you can be even less agressive and use 2000 ) paper dosen't cause the clear to un-white, un-fog itself---

WOW.
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WoW is right???

did the car wash give you a "presoak" ie some heavy duty wheel/engine cleaner first?

Can you tell is it on top of the clear? (if you take your finger nail can you cut through it? of did it actually cut through and get under or even lift off the clear?
camerahunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious to see if you've made any progress with this.

David
hippiepilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dude I'm sorry that sucks I hope you can get that off your paint. Let us know, good luck Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tschroeder0 wrote:

Can you tell is it on top of the clear? (if you take your finger nail can you cut through it? of did it actually cut through and get under or even lift off the clear?

You can't scrape it off with a fingernail. It's a hardened layer of white.

I ran out of time last weekend, but this weekend (three days off and warm temps in Denver!) I'm going to get back on it and try Terry's suggestions. I'll post pics and progress.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
funagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try polishing compound!

Most FLAPS sell Turtle Wax polishing compound. It's cheap and it comes in a light and heavy formulation. Try the heavier (more abrasive) of the two.
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have moisture imbeded into the clear coat, go to an auto body shop and ask them to fog on some retarder or a real slow thinner. This may soften up the finish enough to allow the moisture to escape.

The top coat itself will be a little soft after doing this so keep it outa the rain or fog and definitly dont go to a car wash for a few weeks.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got around to this, several years later...

I scrubbed the nose with Dawn and soapy warm water to get any wax and dirt off. I'd done this before and had gotten some of the detergent off. Then I wet sanded with super, super fine grit sandpaper, which finally took off all of the detergent. On the spot where the detergent had been thickest, I actually went through the paint to the white primer. Sad

I did two layers of wax after that. My front end has hundreds of rock chips, so it's not anywhere near show-quality perfect, but it sure looks a lot better than it did:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I need to paint it, but because nose paint is not a primary system, its functionality is low on my priority list.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Congrats, Joe! Reply with quote

Good on you for getting it done!

That is an improvement. I'd so love to get Winston painted, but I'm just having horrid year after horrid year economically. About the one treat I can afford for the dear old Van is to have his oil tested using one of those Napa sample kits. You send in the sample and get back a report on the shape the oil's in, what's in it, that sort of thing. That'll be worth something.

Best!

Oh. Look. My 2500th post. Do I get a cookie?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BlackDogVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Vanagon bras net more damage than protection...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: