Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sliding Heater Knob on the kickpanels
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Sliding Heater Knob on the kickpanels Reply with quote

I'm trying to get the knob off to finish removing seats/carpets out of the 71. I don't see how to get that dished center cover out without drilling it?
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The center plastic disc should pop out of the knob, with the help of a little screw driver.
Underneath, it a screw driver slot to unscrew the rest of it.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it out with a dental tool and tiny & medium screwdrivers, but it's not too cherry Now! Wink
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After pulling ALL the interiors out of 4 squares it's obvious that the tarboards/dynamat/rubber etc. Really promotes Rust! My 69 has multicolored cotton rag padding which looks far superior to Any of that other crap! They will All have humidity/moisture trapped under them in the channels!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

dirtsandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
After pulling ALL the interiors out of 4 squares it's obvious that the tarboards/dynamat/rubber etc. Really promotes Rust! My 69 has multicolored cotton rag padding which looks far superior to Any of that other crap! They will All have humidity/moisture trapped under them in the channels!

That seems odd to me. I realize you aren't going to get a perfect seal with dynamat, but I'd think that if you took your time and followed the instructions you would avoid moisture.
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While on the subject of these heater knobs in the front qtr panels, my '67 is missing one. Does anyone reproduce them or must I buy them used/NOS? Which leads me to "Anyone got one 4-sale?"
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike has a slightly damaged one that he would probably sell...

Twisted Evil Very Happy

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just gonna walk out and see if the knobs are still on the 67? Maybe I can get them off in better shape than the 71 knob from yesterday? Rolling Eyes

Edit: I just got 1 nice one off the passenger side of the 67 by unthreading it, but remembered I'm missing the passenger side on my 69! I'm gonna take some WD40 out and soak the driver's side to see if that helps? I could try swiping 1 off shaunl's heater channels? Twisted Evil
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump! I just got the other 67 knob off in good shape, so I Do have 1 Good knob/screw/faceplate to ship to you for $20!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
I just got the other 67 knob off in good shape, so I Do have 1 Good knob/screw/faceplate to ship to you for $20!

Check your PM Very Happy
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: