Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

airbox drain hose
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
deadeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: airbox drain hose Reply with quote

where does the drain hose for the fresh air box go to? Mine is missing and I want to replace it but I can't find where to route it to.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: airbox drain hose Reply with quote

deadeye wrote:
where does the drain hose for the fresh air box go to? Mine is missing and I want to replace it but I can't find where to route it to.

Beetle or 71 -72 super?
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deadeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, 1970 Beetle
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deadeye wrote:
Sorry, 1970 Beetle

From the bottom of the drain box there is a plastic lower "elbow" with mount hole that goes to a threaded stud on the body... the hose then runs from there out a hole down by the gas tank.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=572489
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flierbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 69 bug and it came with a huge thick tube that did not work well, I found a hose at Home Depot (black) and stretched it to fit with heat, onto the bottom of the air box and left it long enough to drain out the bottom below the pan after it exits through the hole by the gas tank. My air box did not have the elbow on the bottom or any other fittings.
Bob
jlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a '70. The hole the hose gets routed to is pretty obvious. Is in the middle of the trunk just at the edge of the gas tank. First thing I did was to take off the old paper/foil hose and replace it w/ rubber hoses.
Look at the picture. I used about a 1' section of 3/4" hose to hook onto the bottom of the box, then about 4' of 1/2" hose that slipped into the 3/4" hose. (I think those were the right sizes; better double check). Anyway, make sure you have enough hose to drain water out onto the ground, not anywhere onto your frame. The hose comes out around the master cylinder area.

mnussbau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used 3/4" radiator hose, works perfectly.

jlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike: yeah, I started w/ the same size radiator hose, but tapered it down to half inch. In your pic, it looks like you ended it just after it goes thru the drain hole.... I would recommend the hose be extended all the way down so the water never hits your frame. Should have the hose long enough so it drains water directly to the ground.
mnussbau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, ideally the hose goes to ground. The only issue is the amount of clearance between the gas tank and the frame.
jlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why you want to taper it to 1/2 inch hose before it goes into the drain hole. I agree that 3/4" may not be a good fit. With half inch, mine goes over to the left side above the MC, then drains out behind the LF wheel. On your bug, though, it looks like you have two holes on either side of the 'Napoleon hat"... if it was mine, I'd think about running the hose directly thru one of those. Aim is to keep the water away from the frame.
I THINK it's half inch I tapered down to... maybe it's 5/8"... whatever fits directly into the 3/4" hose is what I used. No tape or anything else needed.
Habs24x
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a 3/4" clear vinyl tube from Lowes. It has a 5/8"Id which dosent fit the elbow. This can easily be solved by heating up some boiling water on the stove and put vinyl tube end in the water for 20 seconds or so and it will pop right on.

Ran it down past the frame head and out the hole opposite the master clyinder. I left a little hanging out and put a couple of tie wraps around it to keep the drain from getting pushed/blown back up the hole.

I used the clear because when I got the car the box,elbow and tube were all clogged with Pine tree needles and other assorted bits of nature.

No problems in clearing the tank the hose is pretty flexible.
mnussbau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Habs24x wrote:
I used a 3/4" clear vinyl tube from Lowes. It has a 5/8"Id which dosent fit the elbow. This can easily be solved by heating up some boiling water on the stove and put vinyl tube end in the water for 20 seconds or so and it will pop right on.

I like that idea a lot. Probably do it this summer when I replace the fuel filter and fuel line under the tank...give me another excuse to pull the tank.
CarlIseminger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the original hose go all the way past the frame? From what I can see, it just ended right there by the gas tank. I just used a clear tube from Lowe's and ran it to just past the entry hole. There wasn't a hose on mine, and the PO just let the water drain into the trunk.

In my mind, what difference does it make where it ends? If water is draining from the air box, it usually means it is raining, and if it is raining, the underside of the tank area is going to be getting wet too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarlIseminger wrote:
Did the original hose go all the way past the frame? From what I can see, it just ended right there by the gas tank. I just used a clear tube from Lowe's and ran it to just past the entry hole. There wasn't a hose on mine, and the PO just let the water drain into the trunk.

In my mind, what difference does it make where it ends? If water is draining from the air box, it usually means it is raining, and if it is raining, the underside of the tank area is going to be getting wet too.

Original never did go much past 1" out of that hole if that. But the idea of running a hose further like the others have said won't hurt one bit and is a good idea.
Kramer79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Works great in case you need a air box hose idea... Reply with quote

Did this today! Worked perfect, coffee mug with hot water!

Habs24x wrote:

Ran it down past the frame head and out the hole opposite the master clyinder. I left a little hanging out and put a couple of tie wraps around it to keep the drain from getting pushed/blown back up the hole.

I used the clear because when I got the car the box,elbow and tube were all clogged with Pine tree needles and other assorted bits of nature.

No problems in clearing the tank the hose is pretty flexible.
alex857
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: airbox drain hose Reply with quote

another example,
The hose is extended to the whole in the frame head plate on the passengerīs side to keep water away from the frame as well.

The_Old_Guyyy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: airbox drain hose Reply with quote

I have a 1971 super beetle and was curious what the route for the drain hose is. Unfortunately I am using a fresh air box instead of the blower that would usually be equipped to model. I am hoping this isn't an issue as this was all I could find. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: airbox drain hose Reply with quote

VW 1302 under fuel tank by Joakim Piejko, auf Flickr
The_Old_Guyyy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: airbox drain hose Reply with quote

Maddel wrote:
VW 1302 under fuel tank by Joakim Piejko, auf Flickr

Thanks for the reply! What is the name of the piece that connects the fresh air box, to the rubber tube? I have the fresh air box and rubber tube but am missing the piece to connect them. Also is this possible to install the tube without removing the fuel tank?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: airbox drain hose Reply with quote

Air Box drain elbow,
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113819539

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: