Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Side tents
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
woggs1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the Kelty car port. If you get one be sure to get the deluxe version in large so you get the doors. I didn't get the deluxe and had to make my own doors.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it, I had already designed in my mind my awning, green tarp, black clamps and 2 light aluminum poles. I will eventually incorporate a tent fly with the flexible tent rods. I need shade and I like to be outside. The RV awnings are nice but I will do it a more inexpensive way. It takes more effort but less that can break down. I do like the idea of the wrap that goes around the popped top for when it rains.

I have an excellent book on canvas works and have used it extensively to make things for sailboats. Seemingly it is going to help with my Westy camping.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: awning Reply with quote

Eureka family tent annex with a 1/4" rope sewn in the van side. I riveted an aluminum track to the rain gutter with a bead of silicone.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The down side is that it's a tad low in by the van. Already have some ideas for that.

Brian.
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Prices Reply with quote

$224 here:
http://www.campinggeardepot.com/store-products-405...18914.html

$227
http://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Deluxe-Carport/dp/B000FIJAXK

I have been looking at this for a couple of years, but man am I cheap! 10lb pack weight, although I did not find a size (packed).

As a side note, from a requirements standpoint I have figured this about myself and camp/awning:

Basically, if you are driving your car from camp, you either need to take it all with you, or leave it behind. So, with your pop-top, that means you have to straighten up both beds (etc.) to get rolling. If you have a connected tent, you can just zip it up and pull away which is pretty cool, but then, why are you driving the pop-top? Sure you may not always want the side tent action, and occasionally you can use the internal beds. The same goes for the awning, I either need to be able to fold that thing up in like 3 minutes, or leave it standing behind (not a good idea because it will just fly away).

I suppose camping around here can be different. We spend some time in Moab and you are auto-mobile often to get to your fun there, so you dont want to set up and take down camp every time you need to get ice or drop off riders on Porcupine Rim. Soo, in summary, I would like to be able to set up and take down in minutes (live out of the camper, which is what I do now) or set up a camp and leave it behind (free standing tents, etc.).

Once again, those are just my requirements. Anyway, not sure the Kelty makes the list here...

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the bus depot side tent. Other than the cost it seems pretty sweet. Anybody use this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Side tents Reply with quote

VwMomofthree wrote:
Saw this at the Denver Stock Show and thought I would share!

http://www.tailgatorusa.com/Home_Page.html

It looked really cool and it looked like it would fit a van or even the rear hatch, either way it's a nice alternative!
It's on sale too!

Maybe it's hard to tell from the video, but it didn't look like this thing casts a very big shadow; everyone is sitting in the sun underneath it. It sure is nice to look at though, if you know what I mean.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get your hands on some collapsable/elastic temt poles you can give a concave roof to your side tarp, you could also use tent flys as they are lighter than tarps. I kept mine from an old tent and they are really handy.

I want my tarp for shade and some relief from rain. I'm going to get rid of my good tent. Sleep in my van on a nice cozy bed Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
josh_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Prices Reply with quote

Classicvibe wrote:

I have been looking at this for a couple of years, but man am I cheap! 10lb pack weight, although I did not find a size (packed).
I have one for my EV. Size bagged is about 30" by 10". I've never been able to get the whole thing back in the original bag though. Fortunately it came with a separate bag for the poles, so those live there and everything else goes in the main bag.

It's nice if you have the space to lay it out and assemble, and some time to do it (about 10 minutes w/ 2 people, double that for one). It provides a LOT of cover, and with a groundcloth or cot it adds sleeping space.

I mostly just need something to set up fast by myself- I'm thinking about selling it and just getting a Shadyboy.

DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking that your side awning can be made simpler with the same kind of tenting poles. I'm going to try it when it warms up outside. I'll try a tarp and I'll try a tent fly, make it simpler.
Bruce Wayne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

about $40 total.
kevtherev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caravanstore bag awning with rafter
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this rather clever tent for my Land Rover, which works as well with the Syncro attaching to either the side or rear hatch. $150 in Craigslist, new in the box. It is a Land Rover branded product. Since most people never use their Land Rover for anything but hauling Larva, they dream of using the stuff, but never do. So when the dream pops, the stuff goes cheap. It is really well made and goes for over $900 when new! Never needed it yet with the Syncro, I'm kind of minimalist when it comes to the campsite, aside from the trip wires and flares.

08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
aside from the trip wires and flares

That rules. Now about that tent. How heavy? About what size does it pack to? What is the footprint? Can you drive away and leave it standing? Thanks for the update

Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is free standing. Rolls up in a 6-8" tube stuff sack about 3.5-4' long weighing in around 10 lbs or so. Never paid attention, as I had no intention of backpacking it. Footprint is 96" square.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

off subject just for a sec. Is that a weekender VW?

danfromsyr wrote:
man I LOATH ropes & strings & tarps and such..

crappy distant image, but hides the DIY homemade job of this 8x12' patio awning on my ASI Riveria, saves me from bringing the EZ-up

and to be on topic a little, I can slide in a endwall into the outer edge of the awning.. but I'd want to add 2 outer leggs to the kit then.

kevtherev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

similar thing here..called a Khyam motordome classic

Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
off subject just for a sec. Is that a weekender VW?

If you are referring to the top, it is an ASI Riviera. There is a recent thread on these. As for a weekender setup, it is possible, but I cant tell from that picture. It has drapes, but that does not mean it is a Weekender. The stove is on the table so probably not a Camper, but it could be just a passenger van. Actually, given the front headlights and years they produced the ASI tops, it is likely a passenger van. But hmm, I just realized that I don't know what year the weekender began. I am guessing '85 ('86), but it is hard to believe they did not exist earlier.

candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J
Dogpilot wrote:
I got this rather clever tent for my Land Rover, which works as well with the Syncro attaching to either the side or rear hatch. $150 in Craigslist, new in the box. It is a Land Rover branded product. Since most people never use their Land Rover for anything but hauling Larva, they dream of using the stuff, but never do. So when the dream pops, the stuff goes cheap. It is really well made and goes for over $900 when new! Never needed it yet with the Syncro, I'm kind of minimalist when it comes to the campsite, aside from the trip wires and flares.

$150 eh? I'll give ya $175. How bout it? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this on a phone company van the other day. It has a boot(?) that connects to the van like a sully port. Anyone else seen one of these? I did a half hearted search and came up with a mfg. site, but I don't think they sell to the public. Crying or Very sad http://www.popnwork.com/index.html

spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of variation in this thread I see. And here is another one at
www.griffco.ca/interest/ and look for the VW link.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: