Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with Mexican case markings
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Help with Mexican case markings Reply with quote

Sorry if this has been addressed before but I did a search and did not find it. I have a dual port 1600 Mexican AS41 case, @ H5916212, with the numbers 351 on the top ridge, both halves, at the mating surface.
(@ symbol is used for the circle VW stamp)
I would like to know what the 351 means. I am used to seeing the align bore number here, such as .020, but this appears to be a factory marking. I understand that the @ means this is a factory remanufactured case.
This engine was in a 73 bug that has been siting since 1986 and is seized up, won't turn over. I was told it was parked when the engine overheated due to a mechanic's rag that got into the fan. I'm trying to determine if it's worth tearing into further and repairing. I know I should split the case and see how bad it is but since that won't be easy in it's present condition and if this number means a large over-bore I won't waste the time.
Thanks, Bugone.
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a number used to match case halves.
Bugone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: RE: Help with Mexican case markings Reply with quote

DrDarby, Thanks for your help, any way to tell if this case has been align-bored? There are no other marking that indicate an over-bore but I have been told that this would be a remanufactured case.
The sn puts it about 1969 H motor but it shouldn't be a Mexican case?
Any thoughts?
Thanks, Bugone
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, with that serial number it should be a German single-relief case. If your case has Made in Mexico on the bottom, someone stamped that H-serial onto it, very likely so it would match the engine it replaced.

To check for the line bore, with no external indications, you'd have to split the case and measure.

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bugone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy, Guess I'll just have to split the case. Crying or Very sad

Regards,
Bugone.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: