Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best/Ultimate contents of a simplified travel tool/part kit?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Best/Ultimate contents of a simplified travel tool/part kit? Reply with quote

I hope this is an original post/question... I keep finding that ANYTHING I think of may have already been discussed before.

OK; here's the question/request for posts (and pictures, if you have 'em):

If you were to be taking your Transporter on a 3-hour+ drive, but for unknown reasons you needed/wanted to only have few tools with you, WHAT would your tool/parts kit include? Sure; the stock tool kit that came with the car is nice, but I imagine you'd want a few more things...

Your list might include things like:
    Open Ended 10, 11, 12, 13mm wrenches
    Flat-head Screwdriver
    Philips-head Screwdriver
    Extra Fuel Filter and line clamps
    3 or 4 quarts of oil
    Idiot's Guide
etc...

I'm interested to see your responses, be as specific as you'd like, and thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bet $10 that Glenn says "cell phone and AAA card". he always posts that when this topic gets reposted.
billmetric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've driven aircooleds coast to coast several times and have never needed more than a small briefcase to carry all my tools and spare parts, its nice to have maybe a carb and fuel pump rebuild kit, points and condensor and a few feet of fuel line and some spools of wire but a known good carb, fuel pump, and complete distributor make swapping them out on the side of the road a lot more convenient than trying to do roadside rebuilds, coathangers, potasium iodide, atropine, duct tape, bailing twine and tinfoil are handy to have and dont take up a lot of room either, my main boneyarding toolbox is only about 12''X6''X6'' and its got 1/4'' and 3/8'' socket sets, wrenches from 8mm-19mm 24mm 1/2'' socket for steering wheels, no room for a good sized hammer in the tool box but a small one will fit, I have a nice 46mm wrench for bus rear wheel nuts which you can jump on without falling off like a socket but its pretty huge, i keep it under the back seat if I'm taking a really long trip, after driving and working on aircooleds for 20+ years I know what I have used in the past and what is a waste of space now, best insurance is to know your vehicle and know what to expect from it, if everything has been recently rebuilt you shouldnt expect any trouble but if you have been limping it along you can expect to need to tinker with it along the way, I've never had a AAA card but they are definately worth the money if you expect to get towed once a year
There is an idea of a Billmetric; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there...
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billmetric wrote:
I've driven aircooleds coast to coast several times and have never needed more than a small briefcase to carry all my tools and spare parts, its nice to have maybe a carb and fuel pump rebuild kit, points and condensor and a few feet of fuel line and some spools of wire but a known good carb, fuel pump, and complete distributor make swapping them out on the side of the road a lot more convenient than trying to do roadside rebuilds, coathangers, potasium iodide, atropine, duct tape, bailing twine and tinfoil are handy to have and dont take up a lot of room either, my main boneyarding toolbox is only about 12''X6''X6'' and its got 1/4'' and 3/8'' socket sets, wrenches from 8mm-19mm 24mm 1/2'' socket for steering wheels, no room for a good sized hammer in the tool box but a small one will fit, I have a nice 46mm wrench for bus rear wheel nuts which you can jump on without falling off like a socket but its pretty huge, i keep it under the back seat if I'm taking a really long trip, after driving and working on aircooleds for 20+ years I know what I have used in the past and what is a waste of space now, best insurance is to know your vehicle and know what to expect from it, if everything has been recently rebuilt you shouldnt expect any trouble but if you have been limping it along you can expect to need to tinker with it along the way, I've never had a AAA card but they are definately worth the money if you expect to get towed once a year

what do you use the atropine for?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
arthurnugen
Samba Member

Location: The PNW, where "going green" means rolling with moss.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cell phone and AAA card. . . and a couple of fat doobies. Gotta do something while your're waitin' for AAA.

zozo wrote:
Don't worry too much. You can always trust a lawyer.

ALWAYS WEAR STEEL-TOE BOOTS IN THE GARAGE!
1965 Bus (Riviera camper)
1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
1957 DKW 3=6: 3 cylinder 2 stroke!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
billmetric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops ... some stuff from my 2012 survival kit got mixed in there, the tinfoil makes a nifty hat Laughing
There is an idea of a Billmetric; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there...
KevinAlbrecht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billmetric wrote:
Oops ... some stuff from my 2012 survival kit got mixed in there, the tinfoil makes a nifty hat Laughing

That's some scary stuff, right there...

WideFive wrote:
Single carbs are for lawn mowers!

Don't forget those seat-belts!
Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billmetric wrote:

uh, so the question still stands then, what would you use it for?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
billmetric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Potasium Iodide is for Nukes, the Atropine is for Nerve Gas
he did ask about the "Ultimate Travel Kit"
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also carry gear oil, fan belt, axle seal repair kit, spare tire. A flashlight, spool of electrical wire, extra coil, a bunch of rags, couple cans of brake cleaner, variety of vice grips, various electrical connectors and crimpers. Dont forget some brake fluid and extra fuses.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back from a 4 hour each way drive this weekend.

The list below is stuff I take on every long(ish) trip so not really something I plan for specifically for a "short" 3 hour trip.

I took the following, in no particular order and off the top of my head:
Misc. small tools - open end wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, etc.
Spare distributor parts - cap, points
Little spool of fuel line
Some wire and wire ends
Timing light
Fan belt (always under seat, part of original tool kit contents)
Accelerator and clutch cable
Set of spark plugs
Small multimeter
Small pieces of sandpaper
1 spare liter of oil
Rags
Vinyl gloves
Glass cleaner (if I'm going to a VW show)
Set of plug wires or at least a few ends as I've had the ends fail

The only tools I used on the trip were to disassemble parts I found in the swap meet or to loan to other VW owners.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i take what Gilligan took. a millionare and a cute actress,a scientist and mary anne and a couple more in case it turns into a longer trip. Very Happy

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Old Paint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the kit is a reflection of whats had me stranded before. When I was young and stupid I had a spark plug wire melt because it rested on the manifold, do I need one now since I use those clippy things on the fan shroud? probably not but it doesnt hurt. Spare electrical wire and connectors because I've had them pop off. Fuses!

One thing I have not seen on any lists is a carb return spring. I had one quit in the middle of nowhere Texas. No springs anywhere, actually used the wife (then girlfriends) scrunchy. Got to the next town, bought 2 springs.

How about paper and pencil, the paper for impromptu gaskets, the pencil to stab that creepy transient that comes accross me while stranded on the side of the road.

1961 Ragtop
1961 Single Cab (Old Paint)
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I consider a 'medium-large' size spare and tool kit

------ Tools ---------
* open end / box end wrenches from 6mm to 27 mm
* 1/2 drive with long handle, impact 19mm socket ( lug nuts ) and 36 or 46mm socket for rear axle
* socket set from 6mm to 21 mm
* wrenches to adjust/remove front axle nuts ( thin ones ) or sometimes adjustables work for this often
* brake bleeder wrench ( 7mm & 11 mm )
* screw drivers around 6 or so of various sizes ( a good sized one for adjusting brakes ) a small for for adjusting idle screw etc..
* feeler gauge
* spark plug socket
* multi meter and/or test light
* couple of sizes of visegrips
* plier cutters ( for stripping wire and cutting fuel line or stuck cables )
* hose clamps pliers ( for crimping fuel line safely )
* tape ( your choice duct, gaff )
* bailing wire
* zip ties
* LIGHTING (flashlight or two)

-------- Spare Parts ---------------

* 6 ft of fuel line
* Fuel pump, fuel base, fuel pump rod, fuel pump gaskets
* Working carb
* Working distributor and clamp
* Coil / spare spark plug wires
* Plugs
* points/condensor
* 2 belts
* generator pulley with shims and woodruff key all together in a small bag
* Fan shroud hose
* hose clamps ( small / big for fuel / air hoses etc )
* rear axle seal repair kit
* outer front wheel bearing
* rear wheel cylinder, 2 fronts
* brake fluid
* master cylinder
* shift rod coupler WITH screw attached in bag
* wire and terminal ends
* throwout bearing
* clutch cable AND nut ( they fall off on the road often when the cable breaks )
* accel cable and hardware for carb size and front
* fuses
* OIL ( 3 quarts )
* valve cover gaskets
* a rag or three

The above kit is a bit on the porky side but it will get you home in many circumstances

------ a larger kit MIGHT include --------
* spare cylinder head
* clutch setup
* tire repair kit
* transmission fluid
* a set of cheap old clothes to get in to before lying down under your bus
* generator/alternator with fan attached already
* battery
* brake shoes and hardware
* axle boot
* exhaust clamps
61TXghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait for Kombisutra to chime in on this subject. I picked up a real nifty tool that craftsman makes, it's a 12v battery powered impact wrench. It's about the size of a Dcell Flashlight and works like a charm. The battery is lithium ion so it will not lose it's charge while riding in the tool box. I would be interested in seeing pics of how people pack their tools in their bus. I like the lists above and they have given me some pointers on what my tool box is missing. It's great to have the tool your buddy needs when he breaks down also.
Camping is cheaper than therapy.
Ellectronico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to be able to fit all i may need for short trips under/behind the seat.

"you need to lower it", "it would look better lowered", "Slam that bitch!", "That would be a slutty bitch if it was lowered", "That bitch would be a bitchin bitch of a bitch bitch bus if it was on its nuts, bitch"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
roamer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

61TXghia wrote:
I can't wait for Kombisutra to chime in on this subject.

The Kombisutra toolkit (note the spare bus in the background Very Happy ):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
SurfCityRacing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roamer wrote:
61TXghia wrote:
I can't wait for Kombisutra to chime in on this subject.

The Kombisutra toolkit (note the spare bus in the background Very Happy ):

Depends on the project. Laughing

desertbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an excellent thread.

I know, nothing beats a deluxe Triple A card for getting a bus towed home to where it can be fixed there. But some things are a really simple fix if you already have the parts, parts like brake cylinder kits, a master cylinder for a split or an early bay (1967 probably excepted), various clutch cables and accelleration cables, a shift-coupler, carb rebuild kits, etc. And calling Triple A to tow you home mostly means your own trip is over, but not for the others, meaning fun times can't be had by all when one of the folks in the caravan gets towed home before the fun has really even started.

Pretty much, in my "Bulli Breakdown Kit" I have most of of the tools and parts imdonquixote listed as being in his kit, plus a few more things. imdonquixote has provided me though with some additional knowledge of various tools and parts I should be traveling with.

Anyway, my parts kit is pretty large and expansive mainly for caravaning purposes. I mean, hopefully it won't be me who needs something that's in my parts kit. But if one of my fellow caravaners breaks down, early bay buses included, well, I have a lot of stuff to offer.

To make things simple I listed all of the parts in my parts kit onto a sheet of graph paper which has been sealed inside a ziplock bag and put into the kit. So if the part that's needed is on the list, that means I have it.

1962 Kombi Frankenbus (has a 78 Westy poptop)
1966 Kombi Frankenbus (has a 78 beam)
1968 Euro Westy (nice and original)
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I bring it, it won't break. That's always been the case.

The things I don't bring, they break. That also has been the case.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: